Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
First Mate

Default Grand Turk and Lighthouse

Does anyone know if any of the tours/excursions offered in Grand Turk go to the Northern end where the lighthouse is? We are advid lighthouse folks and would like to see it up close. We will be there on the August 29th Liberty Cruise Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too love and collect lighthouses and visit them when we can. We went on a bus tour of the island that included the prison and the lighthouse. What a disappointment. There were no restrooms available on the tour and the lighthouse was in very bad condiitons but the ocean view were nice. The gift shop and some cute and unique items. I wish I would have bought the lighthouse blocks.
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Admiral

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3176

Here is a link to my photos in the CM gallery. We did the tour to the prison and lighthouse. We walked down to the beach at the lighthouse and it is beautiful there. The prison was interesting to us, not everyone enjoys things like that. We sat and talked to one of the owners of the gift shop and he was real informative about the island. Enjoy your trip.

Need some cruise help?
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Floridanamaw,

What great photos. Which tour did you take? I think there is an historical tour and then a museum tour. Sure appreciate all the help
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Admiral

I can't find my paperwork from the 2006 cruise, but my wrist band says Prison and Lighthouse historical tour. The bus takes you around to different stops, if you want to get off and look around you can, another bus comes along about every 30 minutes and as long as you have the wrist band you can ride the bus. I don't know if they still offer this or not, sometimes excursion change. Have fun, it's a beautiful place.

Need some cruise help?
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

The excursion is the HOHO bus (hop on, hop off) and yes you could get off at the few different stops. The island is only 6 miles long and 1 mile across. Horse, cattle and cows were allowed to wander any and everywhere. Many times the bus had to stop and wait for an animal to move before continuing. Shopping consisted of garage sales so no one got off. We got off for the prison as I said and really enjoyed the history. We got off at the Lighthouse, enjoyed the oceanview but at the time we were there in Sept 2007 it didn't look anything like Floridanamaw's pictures. Another stop was the beach area where some got off for snorkeling. Margaritaville was nice and very busy. The store had limited supply, no large sized in 4 different styles shirts we wanted to purchase.
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Passenger

We did the Dune buggy exc. there. It took you to the lighthouse, but not for long. Wish we could have hung out there alittle longer. It was beautiful there. The dune buggies were a blast though and took you all over the island with several stops. Not a whole lot there, but loved it there!
Elation June 2006
Imagination Jan 2005
Pride Aug 2004
Victory Oct 2003
Festivale Oct 1989