Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Every wondered why alcohol prices were so high on cruise ships?
Corporate greed and the fact that there is no competition. Even on cruise lines that utilize gestapo tactics to reduce the amount that is carried on, the price of alcohol is outrageous for what you get.

Corporations are far from saintly.
While I agreed Corporations are far for saintly. I disagree that they are evil and greedy. The true lays some where in the middle. The profit margins aren't as large as you seem to think. With the economy in the tank and people cutting back on vacations those profit margins are even lower. So this is why I like to point out the Bon Voyage dpt as a possible choice.

Just be careful buying into the corporation is greedy hype the media feeds you. Look at the prices per cruise now vs the prices per cruises 10 years ago. Most everything went up in price, but cruises have gone down in price. If we want to keep it this way we need to think carefully about the choices we make.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival's Bon Voyage Department

[quote="Dr Plunger"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniousmc
Carnival's Bon Voyage Department is the best prices are about 15% more but well worth it. You dont have to worry about sneaking stuff on, worrying if it breaks on you. Call a couple weeks before and have it in your room waiting
I ordered from the BV department once and it was about 50% more than retail for JW Black.

The last time I asked, the new price was 100% more that retail and I went back to BYOL.

Carnival tells you to lock your suitcase and there is no requirement for a TSA lock. You could wrap a chain around your suitcase and lock it with a padlock of your choice.
If I remember correctly (it's been over a year since my last cruise) the bottle you order through the ship are a different size from the ones are the liquor store. I agree the BV department charges more then the liquor store. I go with rum and it has never been 100% more expensive. But JW black may be different. How big is the bottle you bring and the bottle the BV department sells? What are the prices of each? I drive my hubby crazy with this because I always want the details.
Called today for the heckuva (nice way to say hell of it) to find out the price of Jack Daniels Black Label. 1 liter is $55 plus tax. If you can squeeze 20-25 shots out of that bottle, you'll be ahead of the game at approximately $6 a drink. That is figured at 1 shot a drink. Still better than a bottle leaking into your luggage. I'm not saying I'm above smuggling a bottle on, just doing simple math. Now, if you can get the 1.75 liter bottle thru..............
I read this after I posted. JW black is $55 for a liter. Same thing at Bev Mo is $43.99 both are before taxes. I had a feeling it wasn't 100% more expensive. JW black is about 20% to 25% more expensive at the BV department then at the liquor store.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
If I remember correctly (it's been over a year since my last cruise) the bottle you order through the ship are a different size from the ones are the liquor store. I agree the BV department charges more then the liquor store. I go with rum and it has never been 100% more expensive. But JW black may be different. How big is the bottle you bring and the bottle the BV department sells? What are the prices of each? I drive my hubby crazy with this because I always want the details.
Carnival claims the bottle of JW Black they sell is 40 ounces, but it was less.

Most liquor they sell is in 1 liter bottles.

I can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of same for less than what they charge for "40 oz" .

In the duty free shop, I think they sell Black Label for about $28.
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Carnival claims the bottle of JW Black they sell is 40 ounces, but it was less.

Most liquor they sell is in 1 liter bottles.

I can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of same for less than what they charge for "40 oz" .

In the duty free shop, I think they sell Black Label for about $28.
You can't take bottles from the duty free shop back to your room. The duty free store is always cheaper, because you don't pay duty. Larger sizes are also normally cheaper. I like to compare apples to apples.

I would like to compare what you pay for a one liter bottle of JW Black at home VS what you pay from the Bon Voyage dpt. JW Black from the BV dpt according to Dr. Plunger is $55 (which falls in line with what I have paid). So my question to you is how much do you pay for a one liter bottle of JW Black?

You stated more then once that the cost of the BV department was a 100% what you would pay at the liquor store. Was this an error or do you have a wonderfully cheap liquor store where you live. I ask because by saying that Bon Voyage department is 100% more expensive you have made people believe that they will pay twice as much if they order through the Bon Voyage Department. It is possible a math error occurred and that is what I'm trying to determine.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Katlady, would like to correct something. The price I mentioned was for a liter of Jack Daniels Black label, not JW as you said. Just wanted to clarify this as so no one would be misled if they would call and get a different figure. Thanks!

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Admiral

When I priced the liquor with BV dept last year, almost everything was the same price.....for example whether I wanted to buy vodka, gin, brandy or whiskey, it was all very expensive.
I don't usually buy name brands, like I can buy vodka for $10, and E&J Brandy for $7.99.
For those prices.. if Carnival wants to take my bottles, I'm prepared for that, it's only a $10 bottle. I understand the rules and I'm prepared for that in case they deecide to inforce the rules.
That being said, we did bring one bottle of vodka on board, about 2/3 full, but we also purchasede several drink coupons as well. We did not finish our bottle, we had plenty of parties w/free booze.

One last note, it's one thing that we are not supposed to bring on hard liquor, but they not only allow wine/champagne but they allow one per adult.
Why don't they say NO alcohol and make even more money selling wine etc on board.

So I guess I'm a little on both sides of this one.... I believe if you don't over do it, (1 bottle for 2 adults for a 7 day cruise) it should be okay. On the other hand, if people get too booze crazy and never pay for any on board, It could make it more costly. 8) 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
You can't take bottles from the duty free shop back to your room. The duty free store is always cheaper, because you don't pay duty. Larger sizes are also normally cheaper. I like to compare apples to apples.

I would like to compare what you pay for a one liter bottle of JW Black at home VS what you pay from the Bon Voyage dpt. JW Black from the BV dpt according to Dr. Plunger is $55 (which falls in line with what I have paid). So my question to you is how much do you pay for a one liter bottle of JW Black?

You stated more then once that the cost of the BV department was a 100% what you would pay at the liquor store. Was this an error or do you have a wonderfully cheap liquor store where you live. I ask because by saying that Bon Voyage department is 100% more expensive you have made people believe that they will pay twice as much if they order through the Bon Voyage Department. It is possible a math error occurred and that is what I'm trying to determine.
Black label was something like $75 or $85 from BV last time I called.

Black label at Total Wine is $42.99/liter and $51.99/1.75 liter... Hmm... guess I'll stop shopping at Costco.

Total wine sells 1 liter Jack Black for $23.99 or less than half of $55.

If you do b2b cruises, buy the liquor for the second cruise from the duty free store on the first cruise. Also, if you purchase from the DF store on the last night (sometimes last afternoon) of the cruise they let you take with, so they don't have to deliver it to your cabin.
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
First Mate

You may get away with taking liquor on your last night but on the 49 day cruise they had a list of those who were staying on the ship for the next leg and were going to hold until the end of the cruise.You should still try and then tell them you don,t want if you are caught.We were able to overcome this problem very easily
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Interesting.

On European cruises there is no place to check liquor even if you wanted.

I was on the middle leg of the SA cruise, bought a sufficient quantity in the duty free store in the airport in dallas and just put in my checked luggage.

Didn't buy any once on the ship.
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Passenger

2 bottles of wine. (legally). will sneak on a liter of Grey Goose too and of course purchase alot of drinks on board. I guess that should be sufficient for 7 days.
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Maumekim Send a message via MSN to Maumekim Send a message via Yahoo to Maumekim

Im soo confused now. My first ever cruise is in January and our papers we printed said we couldnt bring ANY soda, water, or alcohol on board but could buy in Mexico and check until the end of our cruise. Is the Splendor different?
Im a huge soda pop drinker and at 1.75 a can I guess Id just be better off drinking mixed drinks...

1st cruise Jan 31, 2010 Carnival Splendor