CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Stupid Alcohol Question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/366287-stupid-alcohol-question.html)

Cruiseman23 July 18th, 2009 10:29 PM

Stupid Alcohol Question

Hi everyone,

I have looked everywhere for an answer to this question....what's the easiest way to sneak Alcohol on in Miami? Also is Carnival easier than RCCL?

Cruiseman23

Luanne Russo July 19th, 2009 01:44 PM

First of all, there are no stupid questions. There are some that are harder to answer than others.

I am unable to answer your question, because I don't have a habit of sneaking.

We have been lucky enough that we can cruise, and buy a drink if we want one.

This is pretty much a moral issue. If you have no problem with cheating the cruise line, out of money, and if you have no problem with the rest of us having to deal with high prices, because not enough revenues collected on liquor, then I am sure you won't have a problem coming up with an idea on how to get booze on a cruise ship.

Please, for your sake and ours, don't drink so much that suddenly the ocean looks like you could walk on it.

We would hate that for your family, as well as all of us, who have already figured out that people do not fall off cruise ships.

Take care of yourself. I just lost my 20 year old son. Life is so short, and so less complicated when you follow the rules.

Enjoy your cruise.

Luanne

green_rd July 19th, 2009 03:07 PM

Check out the search feature of these forums. There are many threads where people have shared there methods. Nothing is foolproof. Remember if you get caught you loose the booze. If that is the worst thing that happens in your life you are doing pretty good.

katlady July 19th, 2009 10:12 PM

If you are 21 years old or over; you can order bottles (Rum, Vodka, ect.) directly from Carnival's Bon Voyage Department to be delivered to your room without sneaking. If you are under 21 years old I don't want to encourage under age drinking on cruise ships.

gigicruiser July 21st, 2009 03:29 PM

Don't know about RCCL but CCL does allow you to bring on 1 bottle of wine or bubbly at embarkation. So...no sneaking required :) DH brings his bottle of Merlot and I bring my Asti. We typically bring it in carryon, but we have packed it on occasion, too (See other threads for ideas). We still buy mixed drinks at the bars and a bottle of wine or 2 at dinner during the week, but this way, we have pre-dinner 'gettin ready" drinks in the room.

Surfguyxxx1 July 31st, 2009 01:41 PM

I too bring a bottle of Grey Goose onboard so that I can sip while getting ready for dinner.
I do however bring alot of bottled water with me in a seperate suitcase. The water onboard is so expensive and then I get to use the suitcase I brought onboard for dirty clothes or souvenirs

antoniousmc August 1st, 2009 11:35 PM

Carnival's Bon Voyage Department

Carnival's Bon Voyage Department is the best prices are about 15% more but well worth it. You dont have to worry about sneaking stuff on, worrying if it breaks on you. Call a couple weeks before and have it in your room waiting

Cricketmk3 September 10th, 2009 03:40 PM

I'm too chicken to try to sneak it in. My boyfriend and I are both going to bring our allowed bottle of wine. I've heard all kinds of stories...putting it in mouthwash & water bottles. I'm sure the crew is wise to the sneaky ways and can probably spot it pretty well. :wink:

katlady September 11th, 2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cricketmk3
I'm too chicken to try to sneak it in. My boyfriend and I are both going to bring our allowed bottle of wine. I've heard all kinds of stories...putting it in mouthwash & water bottles. I'm sure the crew is wise to the sneaky ways and can probably spot it pretty well. :wink:

The crew is on to the water bottle trick. Water bubbles differently then alcohol. My hubby and I were coming back through security back on to the ship. They stopped the underage girl with a large bottle of water who was in front of us. They asked how old she was, then took her bottle and shook it. The girl had water and was really confused. My hubby and I knew what was up. LOL Once they shook the water bottle she was allowed on the ship no problem. Had that not been water she would have been caught.

This is why ordering from the Bon Voyage Dept works so well. No sneaking bottles on to the ship or the airplane (possible breakage issues). Plus the bottles are waiting for you in your room. Since you ordered the bottles with Carnival, they still recieve the revenue so it's win win all around. This is one of those "tips" I learned from this site. Carnival doesn't list on the website that you can order bottles of Rum, Gin Vodka etc. All you have to do is call the Bon Voyage Dept directly, be sure to have your booking number. It is more expensive to order this way, but it saves time, embrasssment of being caught, and possible clothing damage. Here the phone number. To speak with a Customer Service representative, please call toll-free:
1-800-522-7648
Monday - Friday
9:00am - 5:30pm, Eastern Time

zydecocruiser September 11th, 2009 01:09 AM

Not need to smuggle, just pad well and lock in your checked luggage.

I have ordered from Carnival's BV department, but last time I checked, there was close to a 100% premium for JW Black Label. No thank you.

Cricketmk3 September 11th, 2009 07:12 AM

No need to smuggle, just pad well and lock in your checked luggage.

But don't they x-ray your luggage and aren't they able to spot it in closed luggage if it's in a regular liquor bottle? I know they x-ray your stuff when you come back from a port of call...they seem to let the little bottles of alcohol go through though. They stopped my daughter with a big bottle and made her turn hers in.

zydecocruiser September 11th, 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

But don't they x-ray your luggage and aren't they able to spot it in closed luggage if it's in a regular liquor bottle? I know they x-ray your stuff when you come back from a port of call...they seem to let the little bottles of alcohol go through though. They stopped my daughter with a big bottle and made her turn hers in.

They know what is in your checked luggage and ignore. Bring all you want on at the port of embarkation, in your locked, checked luggage.

If in your carry-on luggage, they will confiscate (or attempt to). There are some tricks you can use there, too. You seem to have discovered one.

Luanne Russo September 11th, 2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
Quote:

They know what is in your checked luggage and ignore. Bring all you want on at the port of embarkation, in your locked, checked luggage.

If in your carry-on luggage, they will confiscate (or attempt to). There are some tricks you can use there, too. You seem to have discovered one.

It might be the day, but for some reason your comments make me feel sad. I don't know if it's just the way you are saying cheat, or if it's the fact that you seem so confident in doing so.

My advice to anyone reading this. Follow the rules as they are written. It will leave you with a good peace of mind.

Cricketmk3 September 11th, 2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Quote:

Quote:

It might be the day, but for some reason your comments make me feel sad. I don't know if it's just the way you are saying cheat, or if it's the fact that you seem so confident in doing so.

My advice to anyone reading this. Follow the rules as they are written. It will leave you with a good peace of mind.

If you will check out my earlier quote, you will see that I plan to bring my allotted bottles of wine on board and that's it. Obviously it's a common thing for passengers to try to bring alcohol on board...it's natural not to want to pay the outrageous drink prices.

Luanne Russo September 11th, 2009 03:25 PM

This is the part that bothers me. You are in fact giving false info.

They do not ignore. They do open bags when they see fit, and if they do, you will find a nice sticker on your luggage when you finally receive it.

You CAN be removed from the ship, at your expense if it is deeded that you did not follow the rules.

I can't see you, but you can. Look at yourself, and figure out why a perfectly decent person from Alabama would be telling total strangers, but with good intentions, to break the rules.

If you do, why not tell them what can happen to them.

You have not been around here long enough to get a post from someone who was removed from the ship for taking things on board that is clearly stated in the rules you could not bring which is included in your documents.

It was to late for us to tell them, but right now it is not to late to prevent something like this from happening to someone who has come on here, looking for the truth.

Your documents are more than just a ticket to get on the ship. It includes very good info on what to do in order to make your cruise a very pleasant one. It does not say follow the rules if you feel like it. LOL

zydecocruiser September 11th, 2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

This is the part that bothers me. You are in fact giving false info.

They do not ignore. They do open bags when they see fit, and if they do, you will find a nice sticker on your luggage when you finally receive it.

You CAN be removed from the ship, at your expense if it is deeded that you did not follow the rules.

Not at all, I am speaking the truth.

Carnival is nothing like the NCL or RCCL fascists.

FYI, I have been cruising for decades. I am a milestoner on Carnival and never, as in not once, have they opened my bags. If Carnival charged a reasonable price and gave a decent pour, my suitcases would be a whole lot lighter.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/pride_0...1/IMG_0695.JPG

Luanne Russo September 11th, 2009 04:12 PM

Your picture does not make sense. The water is allowed. The soda is allowed. It's more than allowed, but you are probably traveling with someone, and they to can carry.

The munchies made me laugh. The ship is full of food, why would you bring more. Oh never mind.

The bottle of booze is probably okay, but what are those two bottles on the side that look like pee? Do you bring your own bathroom too? LOL

zydecocruiser September 11th, 2009 04:17 PM

Scotch and more vodka.

All were in my suitcase. I tend to doubt they can tell the difference between beer and soda via the xray machine and how do you know it is water in the water bottles? :wink:

zydecocruiser September 11th, 2009 04:22 PM

Re: Carnival's Bon Voyage Department

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniousmc
Carnival's Bon Voyage Department is the best prices are about 15% more but well worth it. You dont have to worry about sneaking stuff on, worrying if it breaks on you. Call a couple weeks before and have it in your room waiting

I ordered from the BV department once and it was about 50% more than retail for JW Black.

The last time I asked, the new price was 100% more that retail and I went back to BYOL.

Carnival tells you to lock your suitcase and there is no requirement for a TSA lock. You could wrap a chain around your suitcase and lock it with a padlock of your choice.

bguppies September 11th, 2009 04:27 PM

I'm with Zydeco...

We have brought a couple of bottles of liquor on each of our previous 4 cruises. (we aren't heavy drinkers, so we don't need too much.)

We always bring a 12 pack of soda, 6 pack of water, a bottle of rum, and a bottle of Kahlua. (my Wife makes mudslides with the chocolate ice cream on the Lido deck.)

I just got started packing for our 5 day Fascination cruise next Saturday
(I'll finish after an all day tailgate and Kenny Chesney concert tomorrow)
and already have the Rum, Kahlua, sodas and some fruity libations bagged and ready to go.

We just pack the liquids in ziploc bags for insurance and put in the middle of our luggage.
Have only had one bottle of soda (out of a hundred+ now) that leaked and the ziploc bag kept it from getting in the luggage.
Have never tired packing any glass bottles, but I doubt there would be a problem if packed correctly.

We still buy some drinks of the day and some drinks by the pool, but it is nice to have drinks in the cabin whenever you want.

Bill

Cricketmk3 September 11th, 2009 05:37 PM

(my Wife makes mudslides with the chocolate ice cream on the Lido deck.)

That's a fabulous idea!! We just missed each other...I'll be sailing on Fascination on Oct 12. :o

Cricketmk3 September 11th, 2009 06:03 PM

"why a perfectly decent person from Alabama would be telling total strangers, but with good intentions, to break the rules."

I think you've gotten some of my quotes confused with others but your point is duly noted by me. :)

briguy September 11th, 2009 06:11 PM

I too have packed in my bag on all 10 cruises with Carnival. Not once have I been checked. If they find it then I lose it. Its the chance I take. I doubt highly they would ever boot me off the ship. That is extreme. If it breaks or leaks its my issue. I agree that the liquor prices are way too high on board. Bring em down and I will leave my rum at home.

Luanne Russo September 11th, 2009 06:59 PM

Congratulations You have your own cheering section. LOL

Every wondered why alcohol prices were so high on cruise ships?

Could it be because they depend on alcohol sales to make up for the low prices, and when people bring their own, they don't get that money, so they raise the price for those of us who do the right thing.

Oh well as life goes on, I hope that people who are new here, will read their docs so they do the right thing towards others, and have a wonderful cruise.

Luanne

zydecocruiser September 11th, 2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Every wondered why alcohol prices were so high on cruise ships?

Corporate greed and the fact that there is no competition. Even on cruise lines that utilize gestapo tactics to reduce the amount that is carried on, the price of alcohol is outrageous for what you get.

Corporations are far from saintly.

Dr Plunger September 11th, 2009 07:35 PM

My Buddy Jack

Called today for the heckuva (nice way to say hell of it) to find out the price of Jack Daniels Black Label. 1 liter is $55 plus tax. If you can squeeze 20-25 shots out of that bottle, you'll be ahead of the game at approximately $6 a drink. That is figured at 1 shot a drink. Still better than a bottle leaking into your luggage. I'm not saying I'm above smuggling a bottle on, just doing simple math. Now, if you can get the 1.75 liter bottle thru..............

spacewoman September 14th, 2009 07:48 PM

zydeco

what drink are you making with the diet dr pepper?

hubby wanted rye for trip, I ordered two bottles of canadian club (has friend helping kill the bottles) - $40 a pop - in my opinion way too much for a rye. If this were absolute vodka it would be about $10 more than we pay at home and still a bargain. That said, however, when I ordered these bottles I asked Carnival if they had any type of bar setup i.e. mixers, sodas, etc. Was told no. Also told they would order me soda at $1.95 a can. WHEW! So I'm bringing a twelve pack of soda for him and his buddy. Yes, I do sneak one extra bottle of wine in my luggage and 1L of vodka. That said, last year Carnival got $1,800 from us for the week. This included renewing our wedding vows and buying an album of pictures, a night at Nick and Nora's (highly recommended) and all the drinks we order while around the ship. They buy duty free and should be able to discount drinks to a point. I know they need to make money but good prices equal volume purchases.

Carnival also has better prices than NCL for bottles of wine. They are very reasonable. I'm bringing some of my home favorites but with 6 of us going I'll be ordering a bottle of wine for the table at every meal as well.

zydecocruiser September 14th, 2009 09:46 PM

Not everything I drink has an alcohol content.

Actually the diet Dr Pepper was a mistaken purchase - I meant to get regular and to drink on the rocks. The diet was left for the steward's enjoyment or lack thereof.

If you bring root beer, or coke also works, you can make your own root beer floats with the soft serve ice cream.

Gymeric September 15th, 2009 09:57 AM

If they catch you sneaking booze in, do they give it back to you at the end of the cruise? Somebody told me they did, but I don't remember if that was on Carnival.

Of course they can make the rules and it is obvious why they want people to buy booze on the ship. But how far can they take this kind of thing. If they said you can't bring on combs, brushes, shampoo, or any hair-care products ... use our salon instead ... would that be OK? Or any different from the booze ban? If so how? Or what if they said you can't bring swimming suits, but you can buy them onboard? Same thing, right?

I understand it but it seems wrong to me.

katlady September 15th, 2009 10:07 AM

Re: Carnival's Bon Voyage Department

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by antoniousmc

I ordered from the BV department once and it was about 50% more than retail for JW Black.

The last time I asked, the new price was 100% more that retail and I went back to BYOL.

Carnival tells you to lock your suitcase and there is no requirement for a TSA lock. You could wrap a chain around your suitcase and lock it with a padlock of your choice.

If I remember correctly (it's been over a year since my last cruise) the bottle you order through the ship are a different size from the ones are the liquor store. I agree the BV department charges more then the liquor store. I go with rum and it has never been 100% more expensive. :shock: But JW black may be different. How big is the bottle you bring and the bottle the BV department sells? What are the prices of each? I drive my hubby crazy with this because I always want the details. LOL