Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
First Mate

Default PAST GUEST PERKS CCL VS PRINCESS

Hi all,

I'm getting close to the Platinum status on Carnival, but not as close on Princess. I'm wondering which line offers the best perks for that status? I prefer Princess but I'm so close with Carnival I'm wondering if its worth it to keep booking with them to get that status?

Also, do the short 3 and 4 day cruises count towards status?

Thanks in advance!!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Captain

All cruises count on CCL. I dont know about Princess perks but my opinion is dont sail a cruise line just to get Platinum status. The perks are ok but not worth sacrificing your preferred cruise line. CCL's best perks are priority boarding and free laundry. Everything else is rather trivial and mundane.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Captain

A month or two back Kuki (or maybe it was Paul) wrote an article comparing all the main lines' loyalty programs. You may want to check it out.

If I remember correctly (okay, so its a WAG) Princess gives status based on sea days rather than cruises. Good idea, since many of her sailings are 10-14 days.

I certainly would not sail Carnival (and I am a platinum on CCL) simply for the laundry and boarding. I think other lines offer better perks for upper level repeaters, but it's really about enjoying your cruise.
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

I enjoy Carnival Cruise lines. That is why I cruise Carnival. Not to get a perk someday. I feel special whenever I am on a cruise No matter if i am platinum or not. Thats all on paper not in my excitement of my vacation. Prestige means a lot to some people. I jsut want to get away from home and have a great cruise. Carnival does it for me. I have cruised other lines. Happy cruising..
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
First Mate

Thanks to all for the info - and so true, I should cruise the line I like best!

I let myself get all up in a twirl over the priority boarding / debarking. I guess my last cruise out of New Orleans made me crazy because it was close to 2 hours standing in line trying to debark the ship once we were called - and I hate that!!!

Old July 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

We never make a move on debarkation day until the last minute. Granted, living in Florida means rarely having a flight to catch. But, I'll stand up on deck until I can see the flow of debarking pax tricikling off, then we go!
Marty
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Since we cruise a lot, we are Platinum on all the major lines, and IMO Carnival does offer the best perks. RCI Diamond is probably a bit better in some respects, but for the most part I enjoy my Platinum on Carnival the most. I can't even think of any really good perks that I've received on Princess, even though Princess is among my favorite lines to cruise. Perhaps, just a senior moment????

Ken
"SKY"
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do the cruises to no where count towards platinum status?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
First Mate

Waiting until the very end to leave the ship is a great idea, I wonder why after all the years cruising I never thought of it? I would do anything to avoid those lines - and I usually have a late afternoon or evening flight, so time is not an issue.

Do the cruise line personel care that you stay on after they call your color?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsemani1
Do the cruises to no where count towards platinum status?
yes I believe they do.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair
Waiting until the very end to leave the ship is a great idea, I wonder why after all the years cruising I never thought of it? I would do anything to avoid those lines - and I usually have a late afternoon or evening flight, so time is not an issue.

Do the cruise line personel care that you stay on after they call your color?
We do that too, and IMO they prefer that you stay out of the way, and wait until the end to disembark,,,,,as long as not everyone does it! (Usually not a problem, as for some reason people will run over each other to be ashore 5 minutes sooner?) They can't wait to get aboard, then they can't wait to leave? Go figure?????

Ken
"SKY"
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
Since we cruise a lot, we are Platinum on all the major lines, and IMO Carnival does offer the best perks. RCI Diamond is probably a bit better in some respects, but for the most part I enjoy my Platinum on Carnival the most. I can't even think of any really good perks that I've received on Princess, even though Princess is among my favorite lines to cruise. Perhaps, just a senior moment????

Ken
"SKY"
I believe you get $75 of internet minutes when you hit 6 cruises. I havent cruised on them for a while, but seems like you have to turn the free internet into the package now to use them. ... and there is a $50 and $100 package, so unless you have a better half to combine them, it can be akward, but to me free internet is a way better perk than getting to board faster. We rarely have waited very long, and the times we did wait, the group 1 people were boarded very close behind the platinum and HC folks, so you dont really save that much time.

Id rather have free internet!!!
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Just for the record, I wrote the aricle comparing cruise line loyalty programs. I don't mind the confusion but in this case i want the credit because that article was a LOT of work - 10 solid pages (about 10,000 words).

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...lty-042009.cfm

There is the link.

In the end we rated Princess one of the better programs, and Carnival one of the least impressive. Princess gives you more of the little things that make your cruise nicer with fewer cruises required.

Royal Caribbean and NCL also both had good programs. In general, the lines of Carnival Corp (except Princess who already had theirs in place) tended to offer the least.
Old July 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Admiral

A very good article, and well written I might add, but I have to disagree with your rating of the various lines programs. I still think that Carnival offers more useful things for the average cruiser. I frankly, couldn't care less about free internet, as the very last thing I want to do when on a cruise is have a computer in front of me! I have my suits dry cleaned before I board, but I always have a bunch of laundry that I have done, and repacked just before I leave the ship. (Don't have to do it at home that way) I can pick what time I wish to disembark on Carnival, just like Princess. I don't remember getting any chocolate covered strawberries on Princess, but I always get 'em on Carnival. The lovely Mrs. Jones always loves entering the FREE slots tournament! I always command a lot of respect from the crew when they see that Platinum sign-n-sail card.
Anyway, Thanks, Paul for a great article. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ken
"SKY"
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Re. debarking at the last minute, if you are up on deck and out of the way, no one cares. Hubby, however, is SO not a morning person and will sleep until I drag him out the door. A couple of cruises back,we had a very grumpy cabin steward on NCL. The last morning, he barged into our cabin before they even started calling people to debark and yelled at my husband until he got up. I went straight to the purser's desk and removed his share of the auto tip.
Marty