Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Get me outta here!!

What situation made you ask to have your table changed, in the dining room? Noisy kids, drunk adults, boring tablemates, etc? Or, have you ever changed tables?

On one cruise, I was the only woman at the table...I have to admit, I would have liked some feminine company, but the table was a nice mix, of men, so we stayed....

The one time I changed... our table was never filled from the beginning, & because alternative dining was available, it was just us one night,and, not our cup of tea....we got seated at another table of Cruisemates, and had a wonderful lively table for the rest of the cruise....

What made you say...get me outta here!!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Captain

I guess I have been really lucky and have never had to ask to be moved. Since most of our cruises have been with our groups that seems to help with the table situations. I have heard horror stories from some folks so I will just count my blessings.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

never asked to be changed..a few changed from the table we were at but don't know why and never bothered to asked if we saw them around the ship

i also agree that going with a group of folks or having something in common thru out the ship (full charter jazz cruises) really contributes to great and often changing dinner tablemates which makes the cruise even more enjoyable
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i've been lucky as well~my tablemates have never been bad. i've had better ones than others, but have gotten along with everyone and have had great/good/ok dining experiences on every cruise.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have changd my tables on two different cruises.

The first was a group decision. We were eight (six really showed up) single solo cruisers at a table on the Liberty and we have a sucky table at the back entrance. Literally, the back door entrance. They put a table directly in the path of the door and that was where we were sitting. I didn't care about the table after I laid eyes on the maitre'd (Alex). He had me....The other four women wanted to move so I moved with them cuz we were having such a good time. Our waiter was amazing, sadly, the new waiters were not as entertaining!!!!

I also switched tables on my last cruise when five of eight showed up first night. The one couple who was already there didn't even say hello to me when I said hello to them. Two women showed up very late. They were slightyl onthe grumpy side and didn't really want to talk with anyone else. They did say hello, but begrudgingly so. It was a PAINFUL 75 minutes and I was glad to leave. I didn't even have dessert!!! I changed tables but it seemed they couldn't find a table with people in their 30's or early 40's, singles, or with other Canadians on the main sitting. They changed the table to the one behind the table I was at, but the people there weren't any better, based on the conversation I was overhearing while we had so much silence at our table...I opted for Lido buffet instead--The mongolian grill was EXCELLENT!!!!

Next cruise I best have decent people at the table with me cuz it'll be my birthday and they'll be sharing my birthday cake with me!!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Admiral

We have never asked to be moved after having dinner the first night.

We have asked to have our dining time changed but that was because once we got on the ship we found we had been given the early instead of late dinning.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We always ask for a table for four, so that our family can sit together, and get caught up on what the kids are doing.

Our first cruise in 2005 was with 6 others. It was so embarrassing. One lady in her 40's let us know really quick that she was use to sitting with more dignified people.

I commented one night that walking on the outside of the ship to dinner had made me feel sweaty.

She said that ladies do not sweat, ladies perspire, and that pigs sweat.

Because she had two teen daughters, and we had teen sons, her hubby commented that Carnival was trying to set them up. She said that she hardly pictured her daughters marring farmers.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I cannot even imagine that someone could be so crass as she was....I am sure you were more of a lady, than I would have been

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 21st, 2009, 01:46 AM
Admiral

On my very first cruise Enchanted Capri in 2000 I was stuck at a table with 2 grumpy complainers. My waiter was the one who suggested I move to a happy table. I appreciated his intuition ! 8)

/ticker.png">
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Out of all of our cruises, we've only asked to be moved once, so that's actually pretty good odds. We always ask for a large table, as we always enjoy conversation with others. We were seated at a table for eight, and there was a family of six,,,,,and us. They obviously didn't get along with each other, let alone with strangers, so after the first night, we'd had enough. We were moved to another large table, and had our usual GREAT dinner partners.

Ken
"SKY"
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I never asked to be moved, but my BF and I chatted with some nice middle aged ladies (we were 28, they were 40ish) and the ladies invited us to their table that night. It was a nice break from the table full of loud, roudy, Texans. I love Texans, but these folks were roudy. It was nice of them to share their family member's birthday cake with us though

I'm hoping this time around, I can request a table for 2 as I would enjoy a little solo time with my man.

Old July 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
We always ask for a table for four, so that our family can sit together, and get caught up on what the kids are doing.

Our first cruise in 2005 was with 6 others. It was so embarrassing. One lady in her 40's let us know really quick that she was use to sitting with more dignified people.

I commented one night that walking on the outside of the ship to dinner had made me feel sweaty.

Because she had two teen daughters, and we had teen sons, her hubby commented that Carnival was trying to set them up. She said that she hardly pictured her daughters marring farmers.
Pigs do not sweat, for all intents and purposes.

http://www.livescience.com/mysteries...igs_sweat.html

Not only was she arrogant and condescending, she proved herself to be quite ignorant.
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:

Usually people who say stuff like that are insecure individuals who usually don't have a pot to pee in (as my late father would say)!!
My beautiful daughter met a very handsome young man at our table and they have become wonderful friends though the years and have gone to each others weddings. We have met and stayed friends with many though out the years!! Thank goodness most are wonderful people!!
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
We always ask for a table for four, so that our family can sit together, and get caught up on what the kids are doing
We do the same either a table for 2 or 4 depending which family members are on the cruise.

I always want dinner to be family time to be able to chat on the days activities and what is planned for the evening.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Captain

We have changed table twice-on the same cruise! In 2005 we did the Mexican "Riviera" on the Mercury. We had requested a large table and sure enough we got a table for 10, which we love. We all introduced ourselves,then a 6th couple showed up who knew one of the couples already seated. It seems this couple had asked their agent to be seated with their friends but that didn't happen. I would have simply gone to my assigned table for the first night, then tried to make alternative arrangements for the rest of the cruise. But these people wouldn't give up-kept arguing with the maitre'd while the waiter was standing by pen in hand waiting to take our orders. I finally said to DH why don't we move? It wasn't like we'd had a chance to really meet anyone yet. He agreed and we gave up our seats, much to the matre'd's delight! He showed us to a table for 6 where there was a married couple plus 2 ladies who where friends of the wife-found this out over the next couple of nights. This had to be the most irritating, obnoxious man I had ever met! No matter what subject was brought up, he totally monopolized the conversation. He and his wife had traveled extensively and we got a play by play of every cruise they had ever been on. Even the other 2 ladies kept rolling their eyes while his wife just sat there nodding. After dinner,we begged the maitre'd to move us-anywhere. He apologized,saying the ship was full. After the second night (worse than the first) we approached him again and he said he could seat us at a rather undesirable table under the stairs. We jumped at it. It was a table for 4 and our table mates were one of the guest lecturers and his wife.
What delightful people- We thoroughly enjoyed the remaining 8 nights!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Captain

We have changed table twice-on the same cruise! In 2005 we did the Mexican "Riviera" on the Mercury. We had requested a large table and sure enough we got a table for 10, which we love. We all introduced ourselves,then a 6th couple showed up who knew one of the couples already seated. It seems this couple had asked their agent to be seated with their friends but that didn't happen. I would have simply gone to my assigned table for the first night, then tried to make alternative arrangements for the rest of the cruise. But these people wouldn't give up-kept arguing with the maitre'd while the waiter was standing by pen in hand waiting to take our orders. I finally said to DH why don't we move? It wasn't like we'd had a chance to really meet anyone yet. He agreed and we gave up our seats, much to the maitre'd's delight! He showed us to a table for 6 where there was a married couple plus 2 ladies who where friends of the wife-found this out over the next couple of nights. This had to be the most irritating, obnoxious man I had ever met! No matter what subject was brought up, he totally monopolized the conversation. He and his wife had traveled extensively and we got a play by play of every cruise they had ever been on. Even the other 2 ladies kept rolling their eyes while his wife just sat there nodding. After dinner,we begged the maitre'd to move us-anywhere. He apologized,saying the ship was full. After the second night (worse than the first) we approached him again and he said he could seat us at a rather undesirable table under the stairs. We jumped at it. It was a table for 4 and our table mates were one of the guest lecturers and his wife.
What delightful people- We thoroughly enjoyed the remaining 8 nights!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Passenger

As for our table mates, we've been lucky. Either we're traveling with the kids (teen/young adults) and they seat us with other similar families or we are traveling with "The Old Folks" (my parents and aunt/uncle). I am usually nervous the first night if they seat other couples with the latter group (For them, not us). It has always worked out great and the other couple ends up on shore excursions with us

We did ask to be moved the first night on one cruise because of the aweful booth seating. It had a huge dip in the seat and you literally got poked by the springs. The other couple couldn't sit through the first night dinner and had to leave early. We got moved, but, apparently they never asked. We glanced every evening to see if they had moved, but they usually just skipped the MDR and only suffered through their seats on Formal night. They seemed to be a very nice couple though
CCL Holiday '09 NCL Inspiration '07 CCL Freedom '07 NCL Jewel '07 CCL Triumph '06 Costa Mediterranea '06 Celebrity Mercury '05 CCL Conquest '05 NCL Dream '05 CCL Sensation '04 HAL Statendam '03 Celebrity Horizon '03 CCL Inspiration '02 NCL Star '02 CCL Fascination '02 NCL Sea '01
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
First Mate

Cruise in Jan. we moved... just me and my wonderful wife. We were seated with 3 other couples that were at least a decade older than us... no problem until the comments about how this ship was a wreck, how Social Security did not pay enough, how this would be their last (it was all 3 couples FIRST cruise and the FIRST night of 4 nights) cruise, how people didn't do it that way at home, smokers, heavy drinkers, etc. These 3 couples had never met but were of the same mold. When one lady started talking about having retired the health industry (that's what she called it) my wife (who has been a nurse for many years) asked what she did expecting as a scrub tech/nurse/doctor/etc. and got she was a cook at a retirement building. She continued that she hated all the snobby nurses/doctors and was glad that she would never have to "socially" deal with them again. She never asked what my wife did... and I had to nicely restrain my wife from telling her. When the bar server came by we both order a beer and the 3 couples looked at us as if we were born in a barn and ordered "rusty nails" and some other obscure drink. By the time dinner came I had had enough, excused myself, whispered to wife " meet me outside" and we left. I returned later to meet with the maitre'd and got us moved. The next night we show up to be seated 2 tables away. We sat thru the dinner and decided to do the Lido the next 2 nights.

On our cruise in May we opted for a table for 2 and it was the best dinner/experience on a cruise I've had in a while. Food/wine/drinks/waiter were all GREAT!
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Default Change tables

About 4 cruises ago we were went to out assigned seats near the window there were 4 people there 2 adults and 2----.
we sat down and introduced ourselves (2 adults and 2 grown kids), the people there did not say anything.The daughter finally spoke up and said, "you dont look like buisness people and that is all we sit with, and we dont want you here, this is our tabl". The MATRE'D was summonded by the father, MONEY CHANGES HANDS and words were said to the matre"d, we ate dinner, they did not say one work they looked at us like we were aliens We finish and said have a great cruise . Late that evening we found in our room,( the girls had their own room) a table change notice.We we reassigned to a table right at the exit from the kitchen, the boothwas for maybe 2 adults,there was 4 of us, i am 6"3 285 and i coulkd not get my lega under, we asked for the matre'd, he never showed up. we never got a table change, so we ate on the Ledo deck and had more fun with people who had real class. we have made 5 more cruises without any problems and had great meals. I GUESS WHEN YOU TIP THE MATRE D $$$$$ ON THE FIRST NIGHT, YOU CAN GET WHAT YOU WANT, by the way nobody ever went to that table to sit.
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
First Mate

I was on a birthday cruise with my girlfriend and we had this obnoxious woman at our table. Every night she would announce what piece of fabulous jewelry she was going to wear the next night. It was a monolog about where she got it, when she wore it last. No one but her cared - and it was very hard to get a regular conversation going. Yikes!! We changed our table and had the best time with our new tablemates!!!

It was the only time I've ever felt the need to change tables.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old July 27th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Passenger

We changes tables on our Honeymoon cruise, (my first cruise) the
couple who sat with us were non english speaking, asian and we
tried to communicate with no luck. We were moved to a table
with a late middle aged couple from Ireland who were very
interesting and a pleasure to dine with.

I wish we had on our last cruise. All three other couples were over
75 yrs and only one night of seven did they all show up.
Most nights were were left with one other couple, not much
to talk about except ww2- I am not kidding thats what the
conversation was about.!
3/03 Fantasy
6/03 SOS RCCL
3/04 Fantasy
8/06 Sensation
08/07 SOS RCCL
02/09 Monarch of the Sea RCC
5/09 Carnival Glory

5/15/10 Carnival Dream
11/10 Monarch of the Seas RCC
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:21 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa tberry
Most nights were were left with one other couple, not much
to talk about except ww2- I am not kidding thats what the
conversation was about.!
LOL - well it could have been worse... you could have heard about heart/bladder/lungs/hips/etc. problems...
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Passenger

WOW! Some of these stories are amazing! How rude & selfish people can be...

Well, we changed our table once, but not because of any rude and/ or annoying people. We usually get a table just for our family. We "catch up" on each of our lives/ days. And we used to always ask for the early sitting for dinner. On this particular cruise there were MANY children. Therefore the early sitting was VERY full. We were seated at a table for 4. Unfortunately, there were 5 of us!!! They brought a chair and placed it at the end of the table, right in the pathway! My brother ended up in that seat for that 1st night, but he was very uncomfortable & self-conscious sitting there. We asked to be moved. There was nothing left at the early sitting, so we switched to the late sitting. We loved it so much, we ALWAYS do the late sitting now!
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Passenger

tThe last cruise we were on, Splendor last spring, we were seated at a long bank of tables and after the first night, nobody showed up except us, and we couldn't get any service. We hadn't gotten our entre yet, when they were serving dessert to tables around us. Weren't asked what we wanted to drink. After the second night, I complained at the purser's desk, and found out that the others at our table were all one group and asked to be moved to a large, round table. They were given the captains table, and our waiters concentrated on that group and just ignored us. After we complained, things were better, as far as service went, but it was still lonely. Guess maybe we should have asked to be moved, too. If there is something you don't like, be sure to ask for it to be rectified.
Barbara

Pride 10/03
Triumph 5/04
Triumph 4/07
Splendor 4/0
Dream 5/10
Old July 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
First Mate

We have only asked to be moved once and that was because of the time. We like to eat early and for some reason we got stuck with the late sitting. We did go to the table the first night to explain to the others why we would not be there. For the rest of the cruise we ate at the buffet and it was great also. Other than that we have always had great table guests. And yes we left our tip in place for the wait staff. I know that they had nothing to do with the seating times.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Passenger

We asked to be moved on the Glory- we were seated at a table for 2. We really wanted to meet more people, so we asked to switch to a bigger table. We met 2 wonderful families this way. I've been really happy with our dinner companions on both cruises I would definitely ask to be moved again if we wind up at a table for 2!