Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Default key west - southernmost beach excursion?

Does anyone know why that is no longer listed as a Key West excursion? I was planning to do that in March.

Was it not that popular? I'd like to know the reason, if anyone happens to know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Hi, Michelle...maybe they cancelled the tour because the beaches in Key West are easily attainable by a short taxi ride or walking.

Smathers Beach on South Roosevelt Blvd. is the largest, most popular public beach...it has restrooms, concession stands, chair rentals and watersports. All of the beaches in Key West are subject to lots of seaweed.

Higg's Beach also has restrooms, picnic tables, chair rentals and watersports.

South Beach has no restrooms or facilities.

The beach that is in the downtown area (and closest to the ship and within walking distance) is our favorite, Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. They charge a small admission fee ($4 or $5 per person). It has a pre-Civil War fort that you can tour, a great beach but a little rocky with shells (wear those water shoes), restrooms, concession stand, chair rentals, picnic tables, and snorkeling.

If you just want to hang out at a cool place, Dante's on Caroline Street (next to the Half Shell Raw Bar), has good food, drinks, loungers and entertainment. It is an open air restaurant right on the water with a Tiki Bar and huge pool with a waterfall for everyone's use. There is no cover fee or admission charge. They have great fish tacos!
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Hi Rose, thanks for the explanation, and the good tips; I'll add this all to my Key west file.

Just how much of a walk is it to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park? I have a damaged nerve in a leg and if it's more than a half mile I will be in a world of pain going there and back. Is there a trolley or a cab that can take me there and back to the ship?

If not, I'll just do the beach thing in Cozumel and do the trolley ride instead to get around Key West as I understand I can get off and back on it any time without paying again.

Also, sounds like they should do an excursion to Smathers. Hopefully they may add that before my March cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Hi, Michelle...maybe they cancelled the tour because the beaches in Key West are easily attainable by a short taxi ride or walking.

Smathers Beach on South Roosevelt Blvd. is the largest, most popular public beach...it has restrooms, concession stands, chair rentals and watersports. All of the beaches in Key West are subject to lots of seaweed.

Higg's Beach also has restrooms, picnic tables, chair rentals and watersports.

South Beach has no restrooms or facilities.

The beach that is in the downtown area (and closest to the ship and within walking distance) is our favorite, Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. They charge a small admission fee ($4 or $5 per person). It has a pre-Civil War fort that you can tour, a great beach but a little rocky with shells (wear those water shoes), restrooms, concession stand, chair rentals, picnic tables, and snorkeling.

If you just want to hang out at a cool place, Dante's on Caroline Street (next to the Half Shell Raw Bar), has good food, drinks, loungers and entertainment. It is an open air restaurant right on the water with a Tiki Bar and huge pool with a waterfall for everyone's use. There is no cover fee or admission charge. They have great fish tacos!
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Michelle, if you go online to keywest.com and scroll to the bottom of the page, you can pull up a map of Key West...it shows the location of all the beaches including Fort Zachary Taylor. I don't know which pier your ship will dock at, but the walk from either one would probably be taxing for you, especially if it is hot.

The trolley or conch tour train is a good way to get an overall view of Key West and there is a lot to see within the vicinity of Mallory Square.

For someone that has never been to Key West, I would respectfully suggest that they don't waste their time at the beach. Key West has some of the most interesting architecture you'll see anywhere in the U.S., visit Ernest Hemingway's home, climb the lighthouse, Mel Fisher's Treasure Exhibit, Harry S. Truman Annex, Shipwreck Museum, sponge market, Pirate Museum, Margaritaville, Sloppy Joe's, Hogsbreath Saloon...not to mention all the good seafood restaurants, funky souvenir shops and the Blond Giraffe for wonderful key lime pie.

Have a great time!!!