Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cat 11 vs. Cat 12 Suites

Anybody know what the differences are? Did Cat 12 last time and enjoyed it. Considering Cat 11 for next cruise (it is a recession you know) and want to know what I'll be missing out on. THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Basically it's the size of the room. What ship are you considering?

That would give me an idea of the cabin layout.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Luanne ~ Inspiration
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Okay, another question....

What ship was your first 12 cat on?

I have spent the last hour on research for the ship you are wanting, and there is a big difference.

Let me know what ship before, so when I compare you will understand better.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Okay, This is what I have found. (I love doing research for others)

I would not book a cat 11 on this ship. Many of them have the obstructed views, and I don't mean that when you look out your balcony you can see the life boat, down below, I mean it is in front of your balcony.

There is no tub. Big draw for me. Loveeeee my tub time.

The balconies are also smaller than a Conquest size balcony room. Many reviews say that you cannot sit straight in the chair, but must turn the chair sideways.

For me this would not be worth it. Now if you are ever on a spirit class ship, their cat 11's are cool. Large balcony, and actually two rooms instead of one large, like in the 12's It actually has a wooden door, that separates the living area, and the bedroom.

I hope this helps you some what.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

We just got off the Inspiration on July 4th. We had three ladies in a V Cat 11. The cabin was V22. We were tight in this cabin.

Our friends next door to us in V18 weren't so pleased with the size balcony and how difficult it was to move around on it either but they enjoyed the cabin space with only two people in the room vs ours who had three in it. We were told when we booked it that the cabin was made to hold 3 people as was the balcony.

Last year we had the Cat 11 on the Glory and it had three rooms connected. Two sinks in the bathroom & a whirlpool tub and a separate vanity room plus the space on the balcony was easy to move around on.

The V 22 Cat 11 only had the toliet, sink and shower just like the outside cabins do.

The Cat 11 looked like an outside cabin with a couch, little coffee table & small balcony they addded on that we couldn't even sit on it together. You could not move two people on that balcony with the amount of space given.

It was tight and you had to move the chairs at an angle to even have one person sit on it. It was so narrow. I kept putting my legs up on the rails to get comfortable and it was not easy to do as I need bilateral knee replacements.

But it was nice to be able to open the door and take in the views and get fresh sea air but I ended up standing on it all the time instead of sitting due to the narrow area.

We all looked at each other when we opened the cabin door when we arrived and said Wow this is nothing like the Cat 11 on the Glory. By the way we are not extra large women either.

On this site the more experienced cruisers explained to me that the Inspiration was an older ship and the Glory was newer so it was nicer.

I have done a cruise on the Inspiration 3 times and for us I would book our cabin on the Empress deck outside cabin and save the money for other things. But overall we had a grand time as usual on the Inspiration. Great service & food. We love this ship otherwise!

We actually ended up paying what we did for an outside cabin working the early saver discounts so we got our money's worth on this last cruise.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I forgot to say the V22 & V18 Inspiration cabin was not an obstructed view but it was strange.

When you looked over the rails on the balcony there was a wooden deck right below with people walking around. You did not have water below it like the Glory did.

There was a big amount of ship deck below sticking out until you got to the water view.

Also there was no life boat in front of our cabin blocking the view but in front of both our cabins V22 and V18 there was this big metal arm holding up something covered and it was not a lifeboat. The lifeboats were further down.

I even asked the room steward why do they say unobstructed view but in reality this arm is in front view of the balcony?

You could see the ocean fine but there was equipment partly in your view.

I agree with Luanne the whirlpool tub in the Cat 11 on other ships are nice after a long day or night. This bathroom on the Cat 11 Inspiration was nothing like it. But again it was a great cruise otherwise and we were happy cruisers who partied hardy.!

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM
First Mate

On a Fantasy class ship I would go with a Cat. 11 myself. I've had a both Cat.12 and Cat.11 on the Sensation (Fantasy class ship) and preferred being on the Verandah deck rather than the Upper deck. The balcony is small and has a deck below it... you have a wonderful view of the ocean plus if you fall (you would have to jump) you will still be on the ship. The room is smaller than the Cat. 12 but nice for a couple. The biggie for us was the quiet and that other than about 5 inside cabins the deck is all Cat. 11's. Service was good, a small number of cabins compared to other decks and one deck below is Lido. Cat. 12's are on Upper deck, have cat. 6b/c's around them, lots of people running up and down the corridor, etc. They are bigger, have a nice "oceanfront" balcony but you can see where the hull was cut to make the balcony. We did enjoy it with the family but for a couple I much preferred the intimacy of the Cat. 11 and Verandah deck.

Overall I like being higher and "secluded"...