Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Default TABYANA BEACH ~ ISLA ROATAN

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A BEACH WE CAN GO TO ON OUR OWN (TAXI) WHILE PORTING IN ISLA ROATAN? OR IS IT BETTER JUST TO DO THE Tabyana Beach Day EXCURSION? WE WILL BE ON THE VALOR WITH OUR 2 TEENS & 5 YR OLD AS WELL. THANX!!

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Captain

Don't scream - we'll be happy to answer your question

I would go ahead and do the Tabyana Beach excursion through the ship. The cost by taxi will only save you 6 or 7 bucks and it's worth the peace of mind to be on a ship excursion since Tab. is about a 30 minute drive from the pier.

It's a wonderful beach. Enjoy!
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Passenger

Sorry, didn't realize I was "screaming" ..He..He..I like to use caps..it's easier..yea, i know, lazy...Anyone else know of other nice family beaches in Isla Roatan? Thanx so much!

Old July 30th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Admiral

I agree with Magnolia Blossom, book the excursion thru Carnival. We loved Tabyana Beach...lots of loungers on the beach, clean sand and beautiful water, small souvenir store, clean restrooms, Tiki bar, live music, buffet if you're hungry (small extra charge), massages on the beach, and good snorkeling right off the beach. There was also an ice cream cart, boy did those Eskimo Pies taste good. When we finally decided, reluctantly, to go back to the ship, there was a bus waiting to take us back to the dock. This was one of the nicest beaches we have visited on our many cruises.
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Beginner

I agree do the tour through the ship and this is a beautiful beach. I did that tour two years ago and it was worth every penny. Plus you don't have to worry about waiting for a taxi.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have never seen a more beautiful beach than Tabyana and it has everything you could need too. There fish everywhere right off the beach for snorkeling, we saw a stingray, lobster, turtles tons of yellow and black fish. If you go you have to have a Monkey La La, so good.

I would deff do Tabyana weather it be with the cruise line or taxi, nothing i have seen beats that beach.

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Admiral

When will you be in Roatan?

Carnivals new dock opens up later this year, so I haven't been to that area yet to see what is available.

Anywho, Tabyana is great, but is just part of West Bay Beach. The beach itself is free - you can walk up and down all you want, and the snorkeling is great just off of Tabyana. What you can't do is use the facilities of a beach club if you haven't paid. At Tabyana, they know by wrist bands.

How is your Spanish? A lot of the taxi drivers don't speak much English, but I have found them to be very friendly and try like heck.

Once I "rented" a taxi and he took me to West Bay very near Tabyana. He watched my stuff and BSed with his friends (but so what?), while I snorkeled for as long as I wanted. I have my own snorkel gear, but rentals are available from several places. Afterward, he drove me through the "rich" people neighborhood and boy howdy were some of those homes nice. And I didn't think they were very expensive compared with the US.

After several hours, he took me back to the ship.

There was no meter running, but what I gave him was $30 and he seemed quite happy. I though he was about to do cartwheels. Today I might go $35 or perhaps a little more.

Anyway, the easiest thing is to do the ship tour for one person. For 5, you can probably arrange something better. there are private tour companies available. I think the cost might come out to $20-$30 pp for an Island tour, Beach combo.

Hope this helps.
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Admiral

We hired a local to drive us around in Roatan. Ended up at the West End. Not sure if that is the same beach or not, but it was beautiful. Our driver spoke perfect English and showed us some things, based on our preferences, that you might not get on an organized tour. However, we allowed a lot of time to get back to the ship. Private vehicles can break down, but we got back early and just poked into some of the local shops. Just be aware that when you get off the ship, there will be a small mob of people trying to get you to use their "cab" service. But, all cabs are just private individuals. We walked around a bit first and DH chatted with some locals until we found one that we were comfortable with. Had a great day!
Marty
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Admiral

West End is a different area from West Bay, but is also a destination. My driver took me by there, also.

There is, or at least was, an inexpensive "ferry" between the two areas.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I would go ahead and do the Tabyana Beach excursion through the ship.
The Tabyana excursion listed on the CCL site is for just ONE HOUR at $36.95 per person; how can this be so??

Old August 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser

Carnivals new dock opens up later this year, so I haven't been to that area yet to see what is available.
Do you know when? Do you mean in 2009? That will be good.

Thought about ya Z, just sailed the Fantasy and spent a few nights at the Royal Orleans. Had a Ferdi Special first thing! Then Johns for Poboy and central market. I'm in Mobile tonight, going on Holiday in the am.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I would go ahead and do the Tabyana Beach excursion through the ship.
The Tabyana excursion listed on the CCL site is for just ONE HOUR at $36.95 per person; how can this be so??
The buses run continuously to/from the beach. You go when you want and return when you want. Just don't miss the last bus for YOUR ship.
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser

Do you know when? Do you mean in 2009? That will be good.

Thought about ya Z, just sailed the Fantasy and spent a few nights at the Royal Orleans. Had a Ferdi Special first thing! Then Johns for Poboy and central market. I'm in Mobile tonight, going on Holiday in the am.
Hi Snooze...

Carnival's new dock (actually I think they are a 50% owner) was originally scheduled to open this summer. Current official date is November 19, 2009 with Carnival Legend.

Here is the horse's mouth, so to speak:
http://carnival-news.com/2009/07/20/...g-on-schedule/

I haven't been on Holiday since she left New Orleans and sorry I won't be able to before Carnival transfers the ship.

Ditto with Fantasy before she leaves New Orleans.

I have to wait until October for my next cruise, but it should be a good one (actually a b2b). 28 days on Carnival Dream!

Enjoy your cruise!
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM
First Mate

We will be there on Sept 30 and it's listed in our shcedule as a docked port. That may be hopeful thinking, but I can let you know for sure when we get back.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller
We will be there on Sept 30 and it's listed in our shcedule as a docked port. That may be hopeful thinking, but I can let you know for sure when we get back.
There is a existing dock in Roatan that can handle 1 ship. If more than 1 ship shows up, the second ship tenders.

In my experience, Carnival has always docked and NCL got to tender.

Old August 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Passenger

W0W Z...great picture..thanks 4 sharing it! BobMiller-I look forward to hearing about The Valor (and port)...have a super fun cruise!

VALOR
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175

You will LOVE the Valor! That was our 1 and only cruise (so far) and I was blown away.

We did the Pirates, Birds, & Monkeys tour through Carnival. The pirates part was kind of lame, but the birds & free-roaming monkeys were awesome. The biggest one took a liking to me and kept jumping up on my shoulders. :-) When we were done, I could have sworn someone said we were at Tabyana beach, although it was VERY deserted and only had a few small souvenir tables & a snack bar. We did eat food prepared at this little hut and it was fabulous! There were also people ending their zipline tours on that beach. Carnival busses come and go and as long as you make the last one, you can stay as long as you like. After our tour, we rented snorkel gear, had lunch, and tanned on the beach before going back on the last Carnival bus.

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Passenger

If you're looking for a way to spend the day for 5 people, check out Victor Bodden tours. For 5 people, the rate would be $25 per person, and you would have a private car and driver/guide to show you around the island for the day. Part of your day could be spent at West Bay beach, where you can just enjoy the beach or rent snorkel gear.

I have used Victor Bodden in the past and his guides are very reliable and speak English. IMHO, that would be the best bang for your dollar in Roatan. Besides, you can go to his website and reserve ahead of time, so there's no hassle at the pier.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen175
You will LOVE the Valor! That was our 1 and only cruise (so far) and I was blown away.

We did the Pirates, Birds, & Monkeys tour through Carnival. The pirates part was kind of lame, but the birds & free-roaming monkeys were awesome. The biggest one took a liking to me and kept jumping up on my shoulders. :-) When we were done, I could have sworn someone said we were at Tabyana beach, although it was VERY deserted and only had a few small souvenir tables & a snack bar. We did eat food prepared at this little hut and it was fabulous! There were also people ending their zipline tours on that beach. Carnival busses come and go and as long as you make the last one, you can stay as long as you like. After our tour, we rented snorkel gear, had lunch, and tanned on the beach before going back on the last Carnival bus.
Thank you Chosen. We are still trying to decide what to do in port. Not many excursions so we were thinking we would just make this a day on the beach, but a tour that ends there with busses available would be better. It’s the only port on our itinerary that we haven’t been to before so I would like to see more than just the beach.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen175

You were definitely not at Tabyana Beach if it was as you described. Tabyana has a large gift shop, as well as a bar and restaurant and was very crowded.
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Gumbalimba Park is near Tabyana.