Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Famous performers onboard?

Has anyone ever had a surprise guest performer on your cruise?

In 2007, the Glory hosted Motown Night and after many other performances, the MC announced there was a special guest singer on board. Low and behold, it was Stevie Wonder! Whatta cool surprise. He sang Susperstition and then left...just wondered if anyone else has had a similarly cool experience?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Passenger

W()W! That was cool! We had a surprise guest...not as well known as yours...Susan Anton was on one of our cruises (can't remember which ship) sang & talked about her life...

Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry to say that the Stevie Wonder appearance wasn't him. It is an extremely good impersonator. Had me fooled for a minute, but it didn't make sense. Plus, the guy looks like Stevie did 10-20 years ago. He has aged, just like the rest of us. And why would he go from Carnival ship to ship just to make surprise appearances? We have friends who are in the impersonation business. They make good money showing up at ritzy parties as other people. What I find funny is that sometimes the people they impersonate are dead and still people fall for it.
That said, NCL used to bring on big name entertainers all the time. But, not as a surprise. Heavily advertised.
Marty
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Colorcrazie-so you're saying you also had a surprise appearance by Stevie? I don't buy that it was fake for one minute, but that might be because I don't want to beleive I was soo fooled...

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Admiral

i suspect it was not Stevie Wonder, he has to have a special set up for his concerts, plus if you have ever seen Stevie, he just can't play one song..the crowd would not allow it

When he was here at Essence last time..he was suppose to be on for 70 minutes and after 3 hours he still hadn't performed all the song that the audience asked him to

but hey, if you enjoyed him, 8) 8) 8) 8)

now it happens all the time on the full charter smooth jazz cruise..one time we had Ray Parker Jr (Ghostbusters) unexpected and highly enjoyed
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Passenger

Several years ago on a Disney Cruise, Joe Namath was on the cruise with his daughters. He was asked to give a short talk on his career which he did. After when he was asked for autographs, he had everyone move into the hallway outside the room where he was talking so that the next group could get started and so that everyone who wanted an autograph could get one. I thought that was a class act on his part. Also on the same crusie was Tommy Smothers (Mom liked you best!) from the Smothers Brothers. He heckled the comedian one night. I don't think the comedian knew who it was since Smothers was in the back of the room.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Passenger

We saw Eddie Holman, Hey There Lonely Girl, on the Crown Princess a couple of years ago. Very few people came to watch him. Most everyone we talked to the next day said they saw the name but didn't recognize him. But they all remembered his song. We told the cruise director, and he said from now on they will publish the song title with the name. Holman was a terrific performer and those that went saw a real legend.
Old September 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have been on acruise with Jon ‘Bowzer’ Bauman from Sha-Na-Na. He got booed off staged because he was obscene and groping the lady volunteer guest. People were walking out of the show fast. Another time the guest star was comedian Marty Allen and his wife but there was a $10 cover charge so his show was boycotted. We did see him at breakfast and lunch. He was on another cruise but his show was free this time and we saw it. It was fantastic, he received a standing ovation, very clean and his wife sang beautifully! Others we have seen on board but as cruise passengers with their families were Dee Wallace Stone (ET’s mom) and Rick(y) Schroder (Silver Spoons).
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

On a 4-night repo cruise years ago from San Juan to Miami we had amazing talent. Jim Stafford one night, Skiles & Henderson the next, and then Jane Powell on the last night. It was unbelievable. I felt certain that we just happened to be going their way and the stars were in alignment.
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
First Mate

We also saw Eddie Holman. He was not a surprise guest and his show was well attended. His performance was exceptional and he was truly a gentleman. What I personally liked was that he talked about his life, family and neighborhood friends in Philadelphia where he lives. He also told us the story of how he originally didn't have much interest in recording "Hey there Lonely Girl" and how his mother convinced him that the song could be a big hit and possibly pay rewards his whole life. I would love to see him perform again.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~ Mae West

Old September 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM
Familiar Face

TO THE STEVIE WONDER COMMENT, IT IS HIM I HAVE PROOF. AND I'VE HAD A GUEST ON A SHIP. IT WAS BOB SAGET
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:25 AM
Familiar Face

In 1991 on the Soveriegn Of The Seas, I entered the showroom late after dinner. It was standing room only, and I was standing near the rear entrance against the wall behind the last row in the Main Theater.

During the middle of the show, I turned to my left and saw Shirley Jones standing right next to me. I kind of did a double-take when I saw her, which kind of startled her. She was wearing a sequined gown. Little did I know that she was the Headliner entertainer that night (It was not announced ahead of time). Several minutes later, she made her entrance to the stage from the rear of the theater where she had been stadning, waiting for her queue.