Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Passenger

Default Sail & Sign - another confusing area

Hi again all, Another area I am struggling to get my head around is the sail and sign card. I have just set up my account and was expecting to 'deposit' some funds. Have I read it correct? Do I deposit funds which we then draw on during the cruise or do they take a deposit from me and I use the sail and sign card which they then take off the credit card provided? If its is the latter I have read about 'a hold on funds'. What does that mean? I assume they will ask the credit card company for funds every now and then and we settle up at the end? Am I nearly right?
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Beginner

I pulled this off their website. Hope it helps....

Quote:
How is my credit card charged?
During embarkation, when your credit card is swiped, an initial approval of $50 is obtained. Throughout the voyage incremental holds will be obtained. This will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking /debit account. Authorization hold releases to your account is entirely up to your issuing bank.

All charges will be automatically billed at the end of the voyage. On the final morning of the cruise, a statement detailing all purchases made with your Sail & Sign card will be delivered to your stateroom. If you put down a cash deposit and there is an overpayment at the end of the cruise, you will receive the overpayment in the form of a check, attached to the detailed statement on the final morning of the cruise.
So nothing will really be charged to your card until the end of the voyage. When you first receive your Sign and Sail car they will put a hold of $50. threw out the cruise once you get close to spending this about, they will go ahead and put another hold for $50 or so. This is to provent you from spending too much off the boat and not paying your card.

Hope this info helps. this is the website were i pulled this info from. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sai...d_Account.aspx
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Sail & Sign - another confusing area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandbev
Hi again all, Another area I am struggling to get my head around is the sail and sign card. I have just set up my account and was expecting to 'deposit' some funds. Have I read it correct? Do I deposit funds which we then draw on during the cruise or do they take a deposit from me and I use the sail and sign card which they then take off the credit card provided? If its is the latter I have read about 'a hold on funds'. What does that mean? I assume they will ask the credit card company for funds every now and then and we settle up at the end? Am I nearly right?
You can do your account two ways. When you come onboard you can deposit cash with the purser and draw on that. When the cash runs out the card no longer works as a purchase card.

The most common way is the latter one you wrote about: You provide a credit card and your Sign and Sail card is backed up by that card. There will be a "hold" for funds placed on your credit card so there is credit available. I think it is something like $250 at a time. Placing a "hold" on funds is common practice. When you check in to a hotel they place a hold, for the price of the room, until you check out. At that time your total charges are submitted.

If you have a decent limit on your card then you won't have any problems. If you only have a $500 limit, or available credit, on your card you may have a problem.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Passenger

I see they recommend an amount of about $100 PP for a four day cruise. So, when we get our card do we ask for that amount to be placed on 'hold'. You will have to forgive your English cousin but I am not familiar with the phrase 'hold'. Does it mean they will ask the credit card company for that amount to be made available? If we dont use that amount I assume it is then either put back onto the card or not called for? is that correct?
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Georgeandbev,

A hold on your credit card just insures that there is enough credit/balance to cover any expenses you might incur while on the cruise, as stated by a previous poster the credit card does not get charged until the end of the cruise.

I usally go to the pursers/information desk on the first night and put a cash deposit against my Sail and Sign card. If there is any money left from your cash deposit there will be a check attached to your final bill that is usually delivered to your cabin on the last night. If you have exceeded the amount of your cash deposit the difference will then be charged to your credit card.

Happy Sailing
Mark

Read and post cruise reviews

Need some cruise help?
LIBERTY - 5/2013
SPIRIT - 9/2012 (PLATINUM)
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - 10/2009
SPLENDOR - 4/2009
VICTORY - 4/2008
GLORY - 11/2007
ELATION - 6/2007
PARADISE - 10/2006
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandbev
I see they recommend an amount of about $100 PP for a four day cruise. So, when we get our card do we ask for that amount to be placed on 'hold'. You will have to forgive your English cousin but I am not familiar with the phrase 'hold'. Does it mean they will ask the credit card company for that amount to be made available? If we dont use that amount I assume it is then either put back onto the card or not called for? is that correct?
when you hand them your card; you do not have to ask them to put a hold; they automatically do it - I would suggest that a week before the cruise that you contact your credit card company and advise them you are going on the cruise and what ports you may use the card in; that way the credit card company will authorize the holds and charges and not try to call home and get authorization; then at the end of the cruise after all your charges are finalized they will charge the amount to the card...

word of caution, if you use a debit bank card (not a credit card) the hold seems to stay on longer and has caused problems ; best to stay away from a debit card and use a credit card

you do have an option to use cash and like Luanne said you go to the pursers desk and put cash deposit; then if you don't use it they return it in the form of the check; there are ways to check on your balance daily; some of the newer ships have the computer system where you can check your balance on the TV in the cabin -- older ships you have to go to the pursers desk to check your balance.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Admiral

This is another area that the cruise line makes seem more complicated than it actually is. If you are using a credit card that has a high credit limit/available credit this is another case where you have to do Nothing.

Using cash will require action on your part by going to the Purser's Desk and making sure that you keep more cash on deposit than you spend.

Using a credit card with a low credit limit/available credit is the only option that could cause problems. The cruise line will cut off your charging privledges when the limit is reached. Even if the limit is not exceeded the rest of the available credit on that card may or may not really be available for immediate use because of hold release delays.

Whatever option you choose I would recommend that you not wait until the last morning to check your bill for being correct. Depending on the ship you may be able to monitor charges thru the TV system or you can go to the Purser's desk anytime and request a printout. The last morning at the Purser's desk is usually a Zoo. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Ms. BJ great advice, we cruised to Italy, Spain, and Portugal we called the credit card ahead and told them so they wouldn't think the card was stolen. They put a note on the account. The charges went through we had no problems. It sounds like the original poster is from England. So for sure if you are coming to America make certain to let the credit card company know.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Admiral

It is very important to have adequate credit card charge availability because the cruise line will shut you off from using your Sail & Sign card and you'll have to try to get in touch with your issuing bank to request a higher spending limit.

As stated above, I always call my issuing bank prior to my cruise and explain that charges will be forthcoming from foreign ports. Also, I try to use a virgin credit card or one that has a low balance on it to avoid any issues with my "open to buy" availability.
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Okay, I'm pretty familar with how the S&S cards work at least with a credit card... but here's my question...

I originally signed up for a credit/debit card account on my funpass. Since then I realize since I no longer have a credit card and I would have to use my debit card I changed my mind and I have already place my deposit on my account.
Will I still have to give them my debit card? If I don't is that going to mess up my speedy check-in process with my fun pass? because I signed up one way and changed my mind?
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Okay, I'm pretty familar with how the S&S cards work at least with a credit card... but here's my question...

I originally signed up for a credit/debit card account on my funpass. Since then I realize since I no longer have a credit card and I would have to use my debit card I changed my mind and I have already place my deposit on my account.
Will I still have to give them my debit card? If I don't is that going to mess up my speedy check-in process with my fun pass? because I signed up one way and changed my mind?
Have you tried to go in and edit your funpass? I know that you can change it at check-in, but you may also be able to edit your funpass.

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwr322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi

Have you tried to go in and edit your funpass? I know that you can change it at check-in, but you may also be able to edit your funpass.
Well, I was going to, but then I thought.... I don't want to get stuck at check in. I figure I would just give them my debit card, but I can always pull out more cash and apply it. If I don't get too low, there shouldn't be a hold placed on my debit card. right?
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009