Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:31 AM
First Mate

Default What would you like to see on Carnival ships?

I never cruised on a Royal Caribbean ship and don't plan to anything soon. Carnival has always been my cruise line of choice and for good reason.
But I do like some of the extras they put on their ships. Like the ice skating shows, rock climbing and the open center of the ship with the shops and mini restaurants along with the inside balconies overlooking that area.

My question to you is, what would you like to see added to the future Carnival ships? Until the Dream debut, it seems like they're favoring the Conquest class ship over the Spirit class. They desperately need to change something, because they are all pretty much the same ship with different decor.

By the way, I favor the Spirit Class over Conquest Class. Just my opinion.

Carnival, I love ya, but let's spice it up a little!!

What's your thoughts?

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Carnival Liberty - Sept 2013
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Admiral

The main thing I want to see on Carnival ships, is me and the lovely Mrs. Jones! 8)
Seriously, we've sailed RCI, and most of the others extensively as well, and frankly, I couldn't care less for the rock wall, flow rider, or ice postage stamp. If I want to go shopping, I'll go to the mall, and there, they don't even put so many carts full of watches and t-shirts in the aisle that I can't walk (much like RCI does.) I too love the "Spirit" class ships, but the Conquest class ships have the seafood restaurant that I really like. Actually, I'm pretty much satisfied with the Carnival ships the way they are!

Ken
"SKY"
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Familiar Face

I would like to see a bowling alley or a skating rink.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Admiral

We would never ice skate, go rock climbing or flow riding on a ship, any ship. Also, we are not shoppers and never purchase anything onboard. The mall on the newer RCCL ships offer a multitude of opportunities to grab more of your cruise dollars. We never eat at any of the specialty restaurants. These are all reasons some cruisers prefer RCCL but also the reason we never sail on RCCL.

As far as Carnival ships are concerned, I would like to see a sliding door in the shower stall in the stateroom rather than a curtain and a sliding door to the balcony. Also, maybe more of a selection of travel size toiletry and over-the-counter medicines and more or larger laundry rooms. I would also like to see Carnival personnel enforcing the rules as far as the adult hot tubs and chair hogging are concerned.

The Carnival Dream is totally different from other Conquest class ships and the Promenade deck holds some exciting changes.
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
First Mate

You have some great ideas rosetattoo! I have to agree with you on the chair hogging. Many of times we've gone up to lay out and couldn't find an open chair anywhere. Just belongings and no people on them. Even down on the lower outside deck. I watch someone leave a book and a towel on the chair and left for over an hour before they came back. They thought nothing of it.

It's too bad they couldn't implement something that would require you to attach the sign and sail card to hold the seat. Something like some stores do with the shopping carts. You have to put a quarter in the handle to release the cart.

Just a crazy thought. Something has to change!

Again, does Carnival read these threads?

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old August 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

I guess I would like to see more of just us on the ships. We love Carnival and would love to crusie more often. Otherwise keep up the good work Carnival!!
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Admiral

OH, I just thought of another thing I'd like to see more of on Carnival ships. I absolutely LOVE the "Serenity Deck" on the upgraded Fantasy class ships, except they aren't quite large enough, and need their own pool as well. The relaxing music, as opposed to the VERY LOUD steel drum music is a pleasant change, and IMO welcomed by lots and lots of people. Don't get me wrong, I too enjoy the island music, and goofy games at the main pool, but there are times when I just want to chill out, and relax with soft music, and a cushioned chaise lounger!

Ken
"SKY"
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
First Mate

I haven't heard about the "Serenity Deck." Is this something new and is it on all the ships?

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Admiral

I like Sky's original response.

Interesting the OP prefers Spirit class but wants more on them. I guess I have only sailed Conquest class (or nearly CC) so I shouldn't speak or that which I don't know.

Back to the question:
Additional specialty restaurants (or maybe an "ethnic" restaurant with rotating cuisines.
Wrap around deck at Promenade level.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Admiral

I would like to see more seating in the dining areas and lido deck that would accomdate the physically challenged.
It's difficult for me to find a seat without arms... although I just spotted some pics of the splendor that leave me with hope...
I'm sure of the exact location, but I did see some tables and chairs with no arms....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipmate
I haven't heard about the "Serenity Deck." Is this something new and is it on all the ships?
The "Serenity Deck" is an area that's being added to the "Fantasy Class" ships as they're being reworked, and updated. It's taking the area that used to be the kiddies pool area, one deck below the buffet area, and at the very aft end of the ship. They've made it very nice, with two hot tubs, and soft music, and with loungers with cushions. It's very very nice, IMO, and a GREAT place to watch the world go by, and read a book, suntan, or just chill out. There are some shady areas as well, but I have noticed that as the cruise goes on, and more people discover this area, it gets more and more crowded. I'd love to see an area like this on all the Carnival ships,,,perhaps a bit larger, and with a pool.

Ken
"SKY"
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Captain

My main beef with Carnival is the dining room entertainment.
If they would limit the dancing waiters to ONE night per cruise I would be much more apt to sail them. Mind you, I've got my 9th CCl cruise booked in November, but I despise the interuption of a nice meal with the disappearance of my waiter -thus my coffee and dessert!

Otherwise, I'm happy with their product, even though I am a fan of anytime dining I can deal with traditional for the Caribbean.
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM
First Mate

We prefer the Fantasy class ships to the Conquest class ships....
We did two Fantasy class cruises, then two Conquest class and now our next two cruises are booked on the Fantasy class again.
Much, much better layout than the Conquest class.
Overall less crowded feeling in the promenade and buffett areas also.

We were extremely happy with the addition of the "serenity" pool area to the Fantasy class. (should be implemented fleetwide)

We were also very happy that Carnival has adopted Anytime dining fleetwide by the end of the year.
This was one of the main things tempting us to try NCL or one of the other anytime dining lines.
The regimented dining, being forced to book a late dinner, since we can never make it back to dinner on time on port days for early dinner, which we prefer, just doesn't work for us. (luckily we enjoy many dinners at the buffett)

I would like to see Carnival add the Movies Under the Stars jumbo outdoor TVs to all the ships.
That was the ONLY thing I enjoyed about the Conquest class ships.

I could careless about the ice rink, flowrider, rock wall , etc... on the RCCL ships.
I don't go on vacation to do things that are readily available to me here at home. (have a double ice rink 2 miles from my house, a rock wall at the park 1 mile in the opposite direction and the actual beach with waves, 20 minutes east)

I do have to say, I like the look of RCCL's promenade, with the open decks above it, making it feel bigger. (like Carnival couldn't afford to lose that middle section of cabins on those 3 decks. )

I like the sound of the Dream's new deck with the open restaurant that runs outside, again making the layout seem more open.

I agree about the dancing waiters at dinner also.
Should be limited to one night per cruise.
Last cruise our deserts were lost for a ridiculous amount of time, due to our waiter's entertainment duties.
People around us were actually finishing their entire meal before our waiter got back to take our desert orders.
Let the waiters focus on their serving duties.
I'll go to the main show AFTER dinner.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
I would like to see more seating in the dining areas and lido deck that would accomdate the physically challenged.
It's difficult for me to find a seat without arms... although I just spotted some pics of the splendor that leave me with hope...
I'm sure of the exact location, but I did see some tables and chairs with no arms....

You dont need arms to find a seat, just eyes!!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi

You dont need arms to find a seat, just eyes!!

Old August 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Well, I absolutely love the entertainment in the dining room. In fact it's one the main reasons I choose to dine in the dining room.
The trick is to get up and dance with them....

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/image.php?id=76361

Old August 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
First Mate

I just seen a picture of a bowling alley on the MSC Splendida. That's pretty neat, but not sure how it would work in rough waters.

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old August 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Passenger

I agree with the sliding shower door, and I love the freestyle dining on NCL, I am going to try it this month on the Liberty with Carnival, I hope it works as well. The Promenades are pretty on the RCCL ships, but I have never used the flowrider, rock climbing wall or the ice skating (I might fall and break a hip).
Old August 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Familiar Face

I would like to see a choice of longer cruises and more port intensive cruises like the southern Caribbean one on Victory.

I have no interest in ice skating, a flow rider, rock climbing, more shopping or a balcony overlooking the promenade.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Admiral

I like RCCL and think they have some wonderful ships. I'm getting ready to sail pretty soon on the Freedom--that being said, I really can't get into rock climbing, shopping malls, interior cabins overlooking a shopping complex, etc. on a ship! I want to see and do something on a cruise I can't do at home--I can go to a mall, shop for cheap jewelry, etc without going on a cruise to do it. I've sailed more on Carnival than any other line and feel that for the money you can't beat them so there's not a lot I would change-- I would like to see some minor changes made in the bath rooms like a rounded sliding shower door, etc. and maybe do away with the singing and dancing in the dining room and too, maybe some longer cruises from Fla. to the deep Caribbean.
Hopefully that will come about in the not too distant future.
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would prefer less dining room entertainment as well. In fact, I discovered the Supper Club on my last cruise because I wanted a break from the rowdiness of the dining room. LOVE the Supper Club, look forward to hitting it again in a couple weeks...yeah, less dining room hoopla would be nice!

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

I cant believe how many people dont enjoy the dining room singing and dancing... Hey do you go to a restaurant in your home town that does this.??? So I figure hey, enjoy it. Its different. Its fun. Go with the flow...
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Because I don't often go out to eat fabulous, unique meals where i need to get nicely dressed up at home is exactly why I like the peace and quiet to enjoy the experience when I'm vacation! If I wanted singing and dancing around, I'd go to my local Friday's and watch them sing Happy Brithday for the millionth time ya know?

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Admiral

I don't cruise for rock climbing
I don't cruise for ice skating
I don't cruise for shopping malls at sea
What I love is the freedom of open sea, the food, the shows, the camaraderie, and ports of call. If I wanted an amusement park, I'd book Disney World.
On another line we had some wonderful activities for solo travelers including a lunch together, there was a military veterans social event, and a crew show. That's what Carnival could add...
1) solo traveler's lunch
2) veterans meet & greet
3) crew show

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

[quote="
On another line we had some wonderful activities for solo travelers including a lunch together, there was a military veterans social event, and a crew show. That's what Carnival could add...
1) solo traveler's lunch
2) veterans meet & greet
3) crew show[/quote]

I've actually been aboard Carnival ships where they DID have a Veterans Get Together. It was great to meet some of the other Vets aboard, and share war stories with them. We had everything from WWII vets, to men and WOMEN serving currently. I agree that this would be a wonderful event to have aboard each, and every ship, and sailing.

"SKY"
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Admiral

[quote=skymaster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "
On another line we had some wonderful activities for solo travelers including a lunch together, there was a military veterans social event, and a crew show. That's what Carnival could add... :idea:
1) solo traveler's lunch
2) veterans meet & greet
3) crew show[/quote

I've actually been aboard Carnival ships where they DID have a Veterans Get Together. It was great to meet some of the other Vets aboard, and share war stories with them. We had everything from WWII vets, to men and WOMEN serving currently. I agree that this would be a wonderful event to have aboard each, and every ship, and sailing.

"SKY"
There isn't any finer group of people out there.
Our meeting was open to all nations so we had a English gent who served in WWII...he got chocked up relating his experiences. We also had a young man from Israel who was also a crew member.

/ticker.png">
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
First Mate

I wouldn't mind getting together will all the vets for a drink and shoot the breeze. Not a bad idea. Maybe someone will get the ball rolling on this one.

As far as the dining room dancing, we kind of like seeing them do their little skits. We're not in a hurry to do anything while on the cruise, so getting out of the dining hall a few minutes later isn't a problem for us.

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old August 8th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywench
I would like to see a choice of longer cruises and more port intensive cruises like the southern Caribbean one on Victory.

I have no interest in ice skating, a flow rider, rock climbing, more shopping or a balcony overlooking the promenade.
I agree with Skywench about the longer cruises and different itineraries!

I would like to see bigger showers, I'm a big man and barely fit! Better coffee or coffee pots in the staterooms. A bowling alley would be cool too! Better enforcement of the chair and adult area rules would be good.

I would also like to see formal nights done away with. It is such a pain to pack a suite or tux.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old August 8th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Admiral

Bowling alley, flow rider, and ice rinks would be fun on Carnival ships. I also love Rosetattoo's suggestion of sliding glass doors. I would love the Adult only areas to include a foot massaging chair and more comfortable lounge chairs. Plus a swim up bar would be most excellent.
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0201QKH1Kg_4AVGmjzbkF/SIG=13lmvsviv/EXP=1249802704/**http%3A//www.healiohealth.com/images/products/Massage-Recliner-Leather-Match-Vinyl-Foot-Massage.jpg[/img]

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Admiral

I would like to see more thongs less speedos

I'm pretty happy with the overall total product...I fiind when the ship is between 1800-2400 guest, then I can enjoy almost everything without ever feeling overcrowded

but then it does not take a whole lot to make me happy