Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Captain

Default Tips Increasing?

Heard somewhere that the prepaid tips may be increasing to either $12 or $15 pp per day. I think I heard it from somebody who works for Carnival but not sure if its true or not. You would think in this economy they wouldnt hit us up for that right now. Granted the workers deserve it but enough already. Guess they figure if you can afford to cruise you can afford the tips. Has anybody else heard this rumor?[/img]
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Admiral

As the cost of living goes up, it's only natural that tips go up as times go by.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to wildcrazyatver

Yes i herd from a friend that NCL for sure is increasing theres to $12 a day so im sure most lines will follow
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

NCL has been at $12 for quite a few months. I would not be surprised if Carnival and other cruise lines follow suit.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Admiral

The $10/day pp is really a minimum.

I always tip more, anyway.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Familiar Face

Default tips up

It does not matter to me as I tip face to face,
shake hands and say Thank You.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Admiral

Just a funny thought, what with all the much ado re/ the Antigua Six who fought over the cab fare with the police---
Suppose on the last night of the cruise when the tips were handed out the service staff in the dining room felt they had been stiffed in one way or another and didn't get enough--- and ---the good passengers felt they had been overcharged on the tipping thingee and had paid too much in tips for service recieved---then a huge brawl broke out in the dining room between the pax's and the service staff-- boy oh boy what a sight to see-- punches thrown, hair pulled, bread and rolls hurled back and forth, --- the tall waiter from India with a steak knife chasing the short fat man from the Bronx---the 90 lb Philipino lady server rolling on the floor with her hands around someones throat-- an asst. waiter from Jamaica grabs what he thinks is a handful of hair and a wig comes off in his hands--the fun would be endless ---man it could make the Antigua brawl look like a playground for 1st graders !!
--
Oh well-- sometimes it's fun to not be so serious.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Ron, funny stuff.

But, I have to say, if the tips do go up, then I'll not be tipping "extra" anymore.
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Just a funny thought, what with all the much ado re/ the Antigua Six who fought over the cab fare with the police---
Suppose on the last night of the cruise when the tips were handed out the service staff in the dining room felt they had been stiffed in one way or another and didn't get enough--- and ---the good passengers felt they had been overcharged on the tipping thingee and had paid too much in tips for service recieved---then a huge brawl broke out in the dining room between the pax's and the service staff-- boy oh boy what a sight to see-- punches thrown, hair pulled, bread and rolls hurled back and forth, --- the tall waiter from India with a steak knife chasing the short fat man from the Bronx---the 90 lb Philipino lady server rolling on the floor with her hands around someones throat-- an asst. waiter from Jamaica grabs what he thinks is a handful of hair and a wig comes off in his hands--the fun would be endless ---man it could make the Antigua brawl look like a playground for 1st graders !!
--

That happens ALL the time! You should have known that!

Carnival has been at $10. pppd for years. Seems to me, it was $10. in the 90's.
Even MSC is $12. But that $12. is shared by all service workers including bartenders. No 15% added on their drink tabs.
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
--
My last cruise two elderly men got in a butter knife fight in the main dining room. Old people are crazy. I was sick that night and missed it. My sister told me all about and since it was a CM cruise Kuki reported on this fight in the vitual cruise thread. Our table was about 2 tables away from the fight.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Admiral

I had to find the post from the CM cruise with the seniors in the butter knife fight. Here is a link it's the post dated May 3, 2008 subtitled "Seniors Escape Florida Asylum – Discovered on Carnival Freedom
- an on the scene report
" . Kuki is such a good writer I crack up everytime I read it. enjoy.
http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...r=asc&start=30
I'm going to copy and paste what Kuki wrote on the link above. I hope that is alright. I DID NOT WRITE THIS KUKI DID. I'm not nearly this funny. I think I'm alright now, no plagiarism issues I hope.

Seniors Escape Florida Asylum – Discovered on Carnival Freedom
- an on the scene report

I’ve just returned to the cabin after dinner in the Posh Dining Room. The waiters sang and danced tonight, but that wasn’t the only entertainment provided.

According to today’s Carnival Capers tonight’s scheduled entertainment was the Guest Talent Show. But I had no idea they’d be entertaining in the showroom and the dining room.

During dinner tonight, at the 3rd table over from us a man, who I’d estimate to be in his mid-70s, attacked a table-mate, also of the same “vintage”, and held a knife to his throat. It would have been more fitting perhaps, if it was a butter knife, but it was a knife from the tableware. Thankfully it didn’t appear that the man had his own teeth, so he hadn’t ordered the steak, and it was a simple table knife.

At first I imagined that since a second serving of bread is sometimes difficult to come by in the dining room, they were fighting over a dinner roll, or perhaps the attacker had lost 80 cents to the victim playing bridge or gin rummy earlier in the day.

The incident was brought under control almost immediately by a group of vigilante 90 year olds who’d organized earlier in the day (just before their naps), to help take back our decks and restaurants and hallways from the younger criminal element, who calls themselves AARP, who’ve slowly been trying to take over the ship.

They had taken to drag racing their walkers up and down the indoor Promenade Deck (too windy outside), putting other less agile passengers at risk, and continuing this activity late into the night… well past 9 PM.

Rumors abound that for security purposes the Captain is going to put a 9PM curfew in place for everyone over 65. There’s simply no controlling them!

Alright, I admit to taking literary license with the last few paragraphs, but indeed, for the first time ever on any cruise I’ve been on I saw another passenger (and he is at least in his 70s), attack another passenger, and he did indeed put a knife to his throat. And I’ll admit it wasn’t over a dinner roll. It was in fact over a woman at the table.

They were all traveling single, and one man decided his friend was trying to move in on “his woman”, and that set off the incident.

When I spoke to Dino, the Maitre d’ in the dining room, and learned the fight was over a woman, I looked over at the elderly women at the table, and I told Dino I wouldn’t even give up my dessert for any one of them, let alone fight over them.

There truly are some people on this ship who are going NUTS… or more likely they got on the ship that way. I occasionally joke about more elderly passengers on longer sailings, trying to keep it all in good-natured fun, but there’s a serious problem with some of the people on this ship.

Perhaps Carnival is going to have to think about implementing a policy, similar to their age restriction for guests under 21 who must travel with a guardian, for crazy crotchety old folks.

Last edited by Kuki on Sat May 03, 2008 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
CruiseMates.com

You can follow me on Twitter:@CruiseMateKuki

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm over 65 and I've got my butter spoon or whatchamacallit. CURFEW, I dint know there still was a 9PM! cough, Haaak! ffftt!
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Admiral

On my next cruise I'm going to order steak the first night, regardless how tough it may be, just so I can get the steak knife, slide it up my sleeve in order to have it with me the rest of the week in case some ol' geezer fondles my wife under the table cloth !!
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Admiral

On this cruise an elderly gentleman (80s) hit on me. While my hubby was sitting right near me. Those older men are crazy. It didn't work for him so he just moved on to the next lady.

This cruise did have alot of older people on it. But most of them were into having a great time. We had a great table of people on this cruise. I enjoyed listening to their stories plus the three ladies at our table were fearless. They did the wicker toboggan ride in Funchal. If you haven't seen that go to youtube. Portugeuse men push you down a hill in a toboggan while cars are whizzing past you. Carnival doesn't offer it as a shore excursion because it's to dangerous.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994