Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Default small backpacks for excursions?

I am thinking of carrying a small backpack as a daypack on my next cruise, for both on and off the ship, instead of a totebag. This will make it easier to carry stuff if it's on my back, leaving my hands free to take photos, etc. Things I would carrying around, whether on or off the ship are:

towel
sunblock
trip journal
a few pens
netbook
netbook power cord
small purse containing: cell, digital camera and small wallet for a little cash, sail & sign card, ids.
telescoping tripod

What are your thoughts? Do you use a totebag, purse, or a small daypack/backpack to cary stuff when you are either on or off the ship?
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

A totebag would certainly work out just fine. I usually have a beach bag type bag that I put those items in and carry along with a fanny pack, works for me :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Michelle, I have a small cloth backpack that I take with me on a cruise. It works out perfectly for me, sometimes you're up and down the gangway, stairs, tender boats, etc., and it leaves my hands free to grab railings.

When I leave the ship, I always carry insect repellent (got attacked by thousands of mosquitos on a ruins excursion in Mexico), sunscreen, camera, ID's, money, hand towel from home, wet wipes, bottled water, etc.
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
A totebag would certainly work out just fine. I usually have a beach bag type bag that I put those items in and carry along with a fanny pack, works for me :-)
Donna,

On my first and only "big" cruise so far, in 07, I did carry a totebag but this time I'll have my little lightweight netbook to carry around, so on the ship, I think a little backpack will be easier for me then schlepping a totebag. Also, in key West I will do a torlley tour, check out some ships then do some emailing (trip journal entries) while enjoying a starbucks.

On Cozumel, I plan to do either the highlights & shopping bus tour or a beach resort excursion, so I likely will not bring the netbook with me then, but still think I'd rather carry everyhthing ion my back instead of on one shoulder. Better for the back.

Also, when on the ship during the day, it will also be a handier way to carry things.
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Michelle, I have a small cloth backpack that I take with me on a cruise. It works out perfectly for me, sometimes you're up and down the gangway, stairs, tender boats, etc., and it leaves my hands free to grab railings.

When I leave the ship, I always carry insect repellent (got attacked by thousands of mosquitos on a ruins excursion in Mexico), sunscreen, camera, ID's, money, hand towel from home, wet wipes, bottled water, etc.

Rose, I agree wigth gneeding to grab onto handrails.

While I loved the zippered totebag I used in 2007, and it went everywhere on and off the ship with me, since I got my ittle netbook, I keep a small backback ready to go for when I might go to the library or a coffee shop and want to pull it out to get online or write. then I just toss my shoulderbag in the backpack and away I go.

I love the hands-free feeling and realized I wantede to do a backpack on my next crusie instead of a totebag. I especialoy like support when I can get it due to my bad left leg (damaged nerve). Plus this has the outter pocket to hold bottled water.

My only concern would be that anyone behind me could unzip the back pack and take something out, but I'm sure I'd feel that and as long as I make sure no one I don't know gets behind me in crowds or in lines, I should be okay, right? I still plan to keep passport, S&S card, cash, credit cards, etc. in a waist wallet and keep my cell phone and digital camera in the front pocket of my shorts, which are tight enough that I'd feel if anyone tried to slip them out.

Has anyone had experience or known anyone who has had something stolen out of their backpack while they were either on or off the ship?
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Michelle, I have never had a problem using my backpack or any other tote bag, etc., on a cruise ship or in a port. Everyone is having too much fun on the ship to look around for something to steal (although I'm sure there have been such instances). Off the ship, I'm really aware of my surroundings and vigilant at all times.

Rose
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have a small backpack that I've taken all over the world. Make sure it has multiple pockets and it is expandable.

Just don't put "everything" in it. Make sure you have your S&S, ID and a little cash on your person. Backpacks are a target and sometimes you may want to wear it on your chest instead of your back.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
I have a small backpack that I've taken all over the world. Make sure it has multiple pockets and it is expandable.

Just don't put "everything" in it. Make sure you have your S&S, ID and a little cash on your person. Backpacks are a target and sometimes you may want to wear it on your chest instead of your back.

Take care,
Mike
that's a negatory, my chest is way too crowded already for me to wear a backpack there. but yes, I planned to keep my s&S credit cards ids and cash in a waistbelt