Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Passenger

Default To be Formal or Not to be Formal that is the question

Wether to suffer the slings and arrows.................

Sorry, got a little carried away there.

Anyway what I was really asking is how formal is formal? I have trawled through this site and others and cant really get a handle on how formal I should be for formal evenings. We are only on a four day cruise so I assume the formal evenings will be 1 or 2. The cocktail party and perhaps one other. We are doing Tampa and Orlando before we do the cruise so I dont really want to be dragging too much luggage around. Could I get away with a shirt and tie or a suit the minimum requirement? I have a DJ but dont really want to take it. Any help or advice would be great cheers.
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You should only have one formal evening on a 4 day cruise. Yes, the dark suit would be perfect. I bet you enjoy it, even though you are all dressed up, have fun.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

georgeandbev,

Carnival just recently changed their Dress Code. Go to the Carnival web Site FAQ section and it will explain their new dress code. A suit is not required any more.

I loved the day that I found out I did not have to wear a tie any more on Carnival. On Cruise Elegant night I wear a pair of slacks and nice shirt either button down or polo. Cruise Casual I wore a nice pair of khaki shorts and a Hawaiian print shirt.

Happy Sailing
Mark

Read and post cruise reviews

Need some cruise help?
LIBERTY - 5/2013
SPIRIT - 9/2012 (PLATINUM)
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - 10/2009
SPLENDOR - 4/2009
VICTORY - 4/2008
GLORY - 11/2007
ELATION - 6/2007
PARADISE - 10/2006
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Captain

Georgeand bev;
A suit is fine. I always wear one for our elegant nights. You will see evrything from jeans to Tuxs. I enjoy the dressing up, as I never do at home. Below is a link to a picture of my self, My DW, DD, &SIL on our Ecstasy cruise in Jan. of 08. Enjoy whatever you decide to do.
Gary I.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/image.php?id=71993
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old August 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Admiral

If you were planning on bringing a suit on this trip anyway it would be excellent for formal night. However, I would not bring a suit just to wear one night on a 4 day cruise. Slacks and a nice shirt or shirt & tie will be perfectly acceptable on Carnival. There will be many people who choose the less formal option. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Neither jacket nor tie is required and don't be surprised if you see a few wearing jeans. There are no more formal nights on Carnival. They are now called Cruise Elegant (whatever the hell that is)...

The official party line - even though Carnival rarely enforces:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Din...uirements.aspx

On a 4 day cruise there is one (1) elegant/lobster/captain's party night.
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Familiar Face

When I did a 7 day on Celebrity Cruise Line, I wore a tux one of those nights and a dark suit on the other. I wore a tie on 4 nights and a golf shirt on casual.

For my Conquest cruise next week, I plan on a dark suit for first Elegant Night and a tie on the second. I like to pack light so 2 suits is too much to lug along for a 7 day in my opinion.
Carnival Fantasy Aug 2008
Carnival Esctacy Aug 2007
Celebrity Century Jan 1999
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM
First Mate

If you are already going to have a suit, that will be plenty.

We plan on skipping formal night on our next cruise (5 day from Jax) to save the extra piece of luggage required for my suit and DW's dress and our shoes.

January cruise (5 day from Tampa) will be formal since it is a group cruise. Have to do the goofy group poses before formal dinner.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Admiral

I for one suggest a gent wear and coat and tie for formal night. I love to dress nice and it's pleasant to sit next to those who know the difference between a elegant restaurant and a beach party.

/ticker.png">
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The suit will be more than fine.

While I am an advocate of casual wear I believe Carnival has taken it too far. The shorts, tank tops, "wife beaters", torn jeans and caps that I have seen in the dining room for dinner go too far.

I have sailed on NCL five times, Azamara once and Oceania one time. They all have CC casual and I have yet to see anything close to scruffy dress for dinner in any of the non-buffet dining rooms.

There is a limit to "casual".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
Neither jacket nor tie is required and don't be surprised if you see a few wearing jeans. There are no more formal nights on Carnival. They are now called Cruise Elegant (whatever the hell that is)...

The official party line - even though Carnival rarely enforces:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Din...uirements.aspx

On a 4 day cruise there is one (1) elegant/lobster/captain's party night.
My discernment of the dress policy is one is EXPECTED to dress a certain way, even though they may not ENFORCE those expectations.
The cruise-line, no doubt, must walk a fine line between projecting a classy ambiance and not offended the patrons.
Even though the ship might not kick one out of the dining room for dressing down, I suspect that may wish they could.
Just my conjecture, nothing more. 8)

/ticker.png">
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Now that I and the DW are retired I rarely wear a suit let alone a tux. I will wear one to a wedding or a funeral but outside of that I just don't. When we cruise we really enjoy getting dresed up for the "formal" nights. I even have gone so far as to rent a tux from the ship on a couple of 8 to 14 day cruises. Not the greatest of tuxes but I did stand out. It doesn't bother me that much that others feel they don't have to dress for dinner because when we get dressed up it makes us feel special. I do understand the cruise line's position of allowing the gueats to wear what they want but hey, cut off jeans and wife beater T-shirt fir dinner? Come on, get real It is fun too to see the seniors really getting dressed up just like going out to diner back in the 40's and 50's. There is something romantic about a tux and a cruise

Need some cruise help?
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief
Now that I and the DW are retired I rarely wear a suit let alone a tux. I will wear one to a wedding or a funeral but outside of that I just don't. When we cruise we really enjoy getting dressed up for the "formal" nights. I even have gone so far as to rent a tux from the ship on a couple of 8 to 14 day cruises. Not the greatest of tuxes but I did stand out. It doesn't bother me that much that others feel they don't have to dress for dinner because when we get dressed up it makes us feel special. I do understand the cruise line's position of allowing the gueats to wear what they want but hey, cut off jeans and wife beater T-shirt fir dinner? Come on, get real It is fun too to see the seniors really getting dressed up just like going out to diner back in the 40's and 50's. There is something romantic about a tux and a cruise
It's sort of the same story with me. I rarely ever get to dress nice at home. I wear shorts almost exclusively between March and November.
SO when I go on a cruise I just love the opportunity to dress real pretty. I have ties that I only wear on vacation.

/ticker.png">
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Captain

We are going on the Splender on Nov. 29th...
I always take my dark blue blazer & a couple of nice slacks for the dress up nights...
My better half enjoys dressing up so must keep peace in the family...
We also dress up a bit each evening for the formal dining room...
I'll wear a full 2-piece suit at my funeral...
Bob & Kathy

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to thedudeabides

Every cruise I've been on has been with a group of friend that goes on at least one cruise a year. Every year we dress up...and we're in our twenties. If anyone wouldn't want to dress up it'd be a bunch of misfits like us. We get a kick out of it though. At home we're just a bunch of musicians and nerdy grad students that spend most of our time in t-shirts and jeans. For some reason or another we enjoy getting dressed up for the nights at dinner. Sure, some of us might dress it down a bit with nice dark jeans and an oxford shirt with a skinny tie...but, that's just a little bit of rock & roll we like to bring into the mix a bit. There's no reason any of us can find to not throw on a nice suit for a night and look sharp. Besides...the ladies that travel with us like it and we get to see them all done up too...added bonus.