Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Luggage woes

Due to the stringent packing regulations, I have decided to totally change the way I pack for my Liberty cruise in October. Pre regulations, I would pack whatever I thought I "might: need. This time, I have already bought lightweight tops, with bottoms that will interchange well.

My only issue is the swelling of my feet, which makes me bring many prs of shoes, hoping I will fit in some of them;(

This cruise I am determined that it will be different, maybe even just carryons..oh ya

How about you? Will you pay the charges for extra or overweight baggage, or change your tune as well?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Passenger

We are traveling on the Liberty in August and we are taking two toddlers and a 10 month old, so we are also cutting down on our packing. I have been a little worried that we will be dressed a little more casual than normal for us on the elegant nights and may not feel comfortable in the MDR. We have cruised over 20 times on several lines including Carnival, but this is the first time we are not taking the formal wear, and I am also packing a few dress shorts for my husband. Normally he wears dress slacks on casual nights and a tux on formal, but I figured if we feel we won't fit in the MDR we can alway's go to the buffet. I have to conserve a little on luggage space to fit the kids stuff in.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Trip,
Words to live by :-) Keep in mind too, you can always throw a load of wash in during the week and pack light. Not that I love doing laundry while on a cruise, but it makes packing much easier. Plus, when you get home, you don't have to open up a piece of luggage with totally dirty clothes to have to wash, love that part as well.

Lets hope you can stick to your new packing idea.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I can help you with the problem of the shoes: Bring one or two pair of flip flops, one pair of sandals with adjustable straps so if your feet swell you can loose the velcro straps and then tighten up later. One pair of dress shoes is enough. I can get by just fine with three pairs of footwear!!! I wear my sandals or flip flops the most, therefore I bring a second pair in case one decides to have a blow out!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Admiral

On my last cruise, I threw a pair of slides into my suitcase because they're so comfortable. When I was getting my luggage out of my car at the Port, I dropped my suitcase on my foot and my foot was sore, swollen and black & blue for the duration of the cruise (x-rays back home revealed a hairline fracture). Thank goodness I threw those shoes in my suitcase, they were the only ones that I could stuff my foot into. I had a pair of flip-flops but my toes were so swollen I couldn't get that piece of leather in between my toes, ha! What a mess I was, thank goodness for beer and vodka.
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I can help you with the problem of the shoes: Bring one or two pair of flip flops, one pair of sandals with adjustable straps so if your feet swell you can loose the velcro straps and then tighten up later. One pair of dress shoes is enough. I can get by just fine with three pairs of footwear!!! I wear my sandals or flip flops the most, therefore I bring a second pair in case one decides to have a blow out!!!
Perhaps one of Trips issues is.... what happens if her feet are too swollen for the only pair of dress shoes she brought?
I had some nice but dressy sandels I wore last year, they had straps across the top that were adjustable... with my feet and my size that is about as dressy as I can get, but I dont wear dresses either. They went great with my slacks.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Familiar Face

I usually bring 1 piece of luggage & 1 carry on. I bought enough clothes but I did rotate my outfits & I washed some so I did wear a couple of things twice. Also, I cut down on the amount of shoes that I bring. I only brought 2 last year.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Passenger

CAn I get a summary of the new "stringent" packing regulations? It is still a couple of months until we go on Sensation so I have not looked on Carnival.com but what's up? Thanks

April 23, 07 Carnival Inspiration--Married in the Caymans
April 20, 08 Carnival Victory
October 23, 08 Carnival Sensation
April 25, 09 Carnival Glory
October 25, 09 Carnival Sensation
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ahhhh, the swollen feet issue....I have suffered for years, and have tried EVERYTHING, known, to keep it to a minimum;( One year, at the captains dinner I wore a pr. Sam and Libbys, I had brought just for the pool

They get ginormous, and thats why I need to bring many pairs to see how they will, fit as the days of the cruise pass....the flying, and the salty food, just baloons them..I am trying Onesoles this year..I hope they help and I am bringing some Chinese slippers along as well..see if these Onesoles can help you too...

http://www.onesole.com/

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Ahhhh, the swollen feet issue....I have suffered for years, and have tried EVERYTHING, known, to keep it to a minimum;( One year, at the captains dinner I wore a pr. Sam and Libbys, I had brought just for the pool

They get ginormous, and thats why I need to bring many pairs to see how they will, fit as the days of the cruise pass....the flying, and the salty food, just baloons them..I am trying Onesoles this year..I hope they help and I am bringing some Chinese slippers along as well..see if these Onesoles can help you too...

http://www.onesole.com/
I soo understand about your swollen feet. Traveling, salty foods, none of that was ever a problem really. Except being in a car for hrs my feet might swell a little.
But recently, I have had some health concerns one of which my legs and feet are swollen everyday from the time I get up until bed.. I'm on meds and they are helping a bit, but it's still a big concern for me and my doc.
I looked at the onesole website.... I gotta tell ya... those shoes don't look like they have much room to expand. The shoes I wear now are 4E (extra wide)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009