Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Beginner

Default Sober Cruises/Vacations

I found this website & what a Godsend it's been! I am a recovering alcoholic & my name is Mary. Has anyone ever been on a Sober Cruise? I Googled them & they listed different select cruises they did during the year & sober vacations. Just trying to get some feedback from those who have sailed this alternative way.
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Sober Cruises/Vacations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoowired
I found this website & what a Godsend it's been! I am a recovering alcoholic & my name is Mary. Has anyone ever been on a Sober Cruise? I Googled them & they listed different select cruises they did during the year & sober vacations. Just trying to get some feedback from those who have sailed this alternative way.
i'm also a recovering alcoholic and my name is tommy. i've only been on 4 cruises and have never had a drink on a cruise ship. never been on a sober cruise, so i cant help you there. but i have cruised sober. some of the drunks remind me of me.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Admiral

I have not done a sober cruise. I imagine like many group cruises they would be more expensive than a "normal" cruise because the non-drinking passengers would have to make up for the income lost by lack of bar sales. Christian-themed cruises are an example of this.

Many cruises have meetings of Friends of BillW (is that right).

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Just to let you know. AA has meetings on all of the ships I've been on. They are called Friends of Bill W.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Admiral

I just want to be sure to make something clear. On the list you will see meeting for the Friend of Bill W (AA) and a meeting for the Friends of Dorothy (Gay meet up group). People sometimes get the groups confused. I have heard of the sober cruises, but I haven't attended one. If you feel you need the additional support then you should check it out. send an e-mail, check the company with Better Business Buena(sp?), and be sure you have a real address for the company. Good luck.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Admiral

I'm a non-drinker and have a blast on the seas. The ships do seem to accommodate everyone.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Admiral

I have one glass of wine with dinner about once every 1-2 months and didn't have any on my 2007 4-nighter with my teenage son. In March for my solo cruise, I will probably have a glass each night with dinner.

I wish everyone else would be the same. Way too many ridiculous losers drink all afternoon and/or all night like it's "a cool thing to do" (like smokers). While they are hysterical to watch for a few minutes, affter that the novelty wears off and you just end up feeling so sorry for the pool fools who really have no clue how ridiculous they look.

I personally would be happy with a cruise without alcohol, of course that is what makes restaurants, cruiselines, hotels, etc. their big profits so they are not about to stop that. A very sad commentary on society. Prohibition was a great idea. Wish it could work. I would not miss alcohol.

Too bad alcohol didn't just make you start throwing up after you had one drink. That would certainly stop people from doing it and from killing others while they drive. I'd feel better knowing people on the road only had one drink in them, instead of 3 or more,
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
I wish everyone else would be the same. Way too many ridiculous losers drink all afternoon and/or all night like it's "a cool thing to do" (like smokers). While they are hysterical to watch for a few minutes, affter that the novelty wears off and you just end up feeling so sorry for the pool fools who really have no clue how ridiculous they look.
Regardless of your thoughts many that drink on cruises rarely drink that much at "home"... it is their vacation and whether you drink or not is no ones choice but the adult doing it (or not).

I applaud the OP's choice and understand his concerns... having said that it's no time to be "high and mighty" about drinking.

You wishing everyone else would be the same is sad.
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Wow Michelle1959 you have some extreme views on drinking. I agree I don't like to be around really drunk people. I worry about a recovering alcoholic being tempted on a cruise. So I hope the OP is sucessful in find a cruise that suits her needs.

I'm not a heavy drinker, but I like to have drinks on the ship. I don't get falling down drunk or distrub others. It is possible for someone who is not a recovering alcoholic to drink in moderation and I have no problem with people doing it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Admiral

welcome Mary...thanks for posting on our boards...I think I understand what you are seeking our assistance with...I have a friend that found if you go on a cruise with a strong supportive group of friends and family members, there are enough activities on the ship and enough non alcoholic beverage options, that it lessens the "pressure"..My friend actually went on a HOGS (motorcycle fans) cruise and was surprise of the number of non drinkers in the group and they had a great time to the point that they are going this year again...so maybe if this is your first cruise, you might do some research in terms of what your passion is (music, books, soap operas, knitting..etc) and see if they have a group that goes on cruises and go with that group (suggest you work with a travel agent that specializes in cruises)

in terms of specific marketed "sober cruises" I cannot offer insight.i actually did research for my friend with them for the first cruise, but in the end my friend was able to identify the group going on the HOG cruise and it worked out great

on these boards, we sometimes "wander off the original posted topic" but we usually can get you the information you need

have fun on your cruise
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Beginner

Default Sober Cruises/Vacations

Thanks for the feedback! I have to admot that as a beginner cruiser it was difficult cruising & not have a meeting (Friends of Bill) to go to. I became uncomfortable even after 14plus years of sobriety. I realize specialty cruises are probably going to be more $$ because as someone said the ship is basically being chartered. I didn't have strong support with me which was my error. I traveled alone. I was on the Carnival Valor which had way too many kids.....I was approached by two teen-agers (brother& sister) to smoke marijuana! I have many decorative tattoos which is always a good conversation piece, but it draws people to me like you would not believe. I cruised the week of 7/26-8/02 in the western Caribbean. The stops were wonderful all in all. Thanks venice you gave me some good ideas. It was a learnng experience & I will do my homework for the next cruise.
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Admiral

I am not the alcoholic but the wife of. My husband has been sober almost 3 years now. We always start the cruise by going to the first Friends of Bill W meeting. I have been in 12 step programs myself now for 12 years and yes it is that support that gets you through. We do activities that is not drinking realted get pop cards and have a blast!!!! In fact we leave for another one in 15 days. The people you meet in the meeting you see throughout the week and that is nice. If you want to hang out together get their cabin number. LIFE ON A CRUISE IS FUN SOBER

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Admiral

there are all types of "theme/group" cruises which often do not cost anymore then a "normal' cruise..it's just a group of cruisers with a common interest that ban together as a group to get a lower rate and have some specific onboard activities (chess, book clubs etc)

another suggestion, this board often sponsors group cruises and you might join one of the upcoming voyages and save $$$$$$ and hang out with lots of nice, supportive folks

congratulations on your 14+ achievement..my friend is 26+ and he loves going on cruises
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Beginner

Default Sober Cruises/Panama Canal cruise experience

Thanks to Tommy, venice, & Carol B. I feel better after having shared. Just reading these posts makes me want to take another cruise in the near future. I will have to work with a travel agent or someone who can help with my needs. I have been looking into taking a cruise to the Panama Canal after the 1st of the year-any recommendations or past experiences to share? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Beginner

Cruise ship days are just like land days. One day at a time. April 19 will make 17 years for me. One day at a time, lol. Never cruised the canal, but that would be a blast. Dont let other people's habits stop you from enjoying your sobriety. We only get one ticket to ride in this old life. Grab it by the horns and ride, baby, ride !!
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Passenger

I haven't been on an actual "sober cruise" but have been on 23 Carnival cruises and know that they DO offer a AA meeting called "Friends of Bill W". (look for the time & location of the meetings in your daily newsletter (Carnival Capers) delivered to your cabin each day. (extra copies also available @ the pursers desk).

Don't think you have to look for a "Sober cruise" prevent you from cruising on Carnival.

Bon Voyage!

Annie
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Admiral

All my cruises are sober cruises. I sometimes have a beer or two at home during football season, but the big fruity drinks on the ship, besides being expensive, are too full of calories for me. I would rather save all those calories for a second or third dessert.

Is there such a thing as a dessertahoklic?.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm a recovering alcoholic and my name is Mark. I've been on three sober cruises, which have been organised by companies taking groups who are made up of sober members of AA or another fellowship. All three cruises we amazing and even though there was alcohol around we had no trouble staying sober.

There are lots of sober vacation companies to choose from but the best one I've found is www.travelsober.com
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I didn't know they had groups such as that. Good for them.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
First Mate

Am I correct in that the OP is from 2009 or am I really losing it :-)

Need some cruise help?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Nope... someone did some digging to bring it up to add some helpful advertising me thinks
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
First Mate

Thanks Kuki. I know I am getting old and feeble minded but this was too much :-)

Need some cruise help?