Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
First Mate

Default Half Moon Cay

I am finding postings on other boards that say the tendering at Half Moon Cay is atrocius Folks are saying they waited over an hour to be tendered in and more than an hour to be tendered back to the ship. Have any of you experienced this? We are seriously debating whether or not to even go ashore. We have heard so any great things about Half Moon we feel it would still be worth the wait. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Admiral

been to HMC several times on HAL ships..never a problem about wait time..just don't take first tender to or last tender from

it's a great relaxing day..have fun
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Admiral

We've been there multiple times, on HAL and Carnival. Never had much of a wait. And, even if there was a wait, I would still do it. It's about the only thing that I would wait patiently in line for.
In general, lines for tenders, be it Grand Cayman or Half Moon Cay, Belize, etc can look really long. But the tenders hold a lot of people, so it goes faster than you might expect.
Marty
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Yes, go ashore!!! Half Moon Cay is amazing!!

The problem with the tendering is the later you arrive the longer you wait. The trick is to have a cabana, the grand cabana, or ANY shore excursion booked. Any and all shore excursion people are let off the ship before anyone else is let off! So those who do not have a excursion booked have to wait to get off after the shore excursion people who get the first and possibly second tenders ashore. The only other way to guarantee a quick arrival on HMC is to be waiting at the doors a good 30 minutes before the time the tendering starts (so if it is 9am then be waiting on Lobby Deck by the main showroom at 8:30 to get tender stickers #1 which guarantees you will be on the beach by 9:30-9:45. Shore excursion people will be ashore by 9:15-9:30am from a 9am arrival!

As with any ship that tenders passengers ashore, anyone with Carnival booked shore tours gets off first and meets in the show lounge--in the case of the ship I was on we met on Deck 4 balcony and within a few minutes told to go down to 0 deck to board the tenders! By the way, I did the stingray tour at 11:30am and was off the ship and enjoying the warm Caribbean sea by 9:45am and back at the welcome center for 11am to wait for my tour. Tender stickers in the low teens were coming ashore at 11am.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
First Mate

Hopefully we get a cabana next month, so we don't have to worry about the tender lines...

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Master Chief
Not going ashore...........BIG MISTAKE. This is one great beach day. The tenders are large and run frequently. I have always thought the tender service was pretty good considering they are moving 2500 persons off the ship in a short period of time.
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
First Mate

OK, everybody has me convinced to go asore at Half Moon Cay. Thanks for all the responses. I can always rely on this board for great information
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
Yes, go ashore!!! Half Moon Cay is amazing!!

The problem with the tendering is the later you arrive the longer you wait. The trick is to have a cabana, the grand cabana, or ANY shore excursion booked. Any and all shore excursion people are let off the ship before anyone else is let off! So those who do not have a excursion booked have to wait to get off after the shore excursion people who get the first and possibly second tenders ashore. The only other way to guarantee a quick arrival on HMC is to be waiting at the doors a good 30 minutes before the time the tendering starts (so if it is 9am then be waiting on Lobby Deck by the main showroom at 8:30 to get tender stickers #1 which guarantees you will be on the beach by 9:30-9:45. Shore excursion people will be ashore by 9:15-9:30am from a 9am arrival!

As with any ship that tenders passengers ashore, anyone with Carnival booked shore tours gets off first and meets in the show lounge--in the case of the ship I was on we met on Deck 4 balcony and within a few minutes told to go down to 0 deck to board the tenders! By the way, I did the stingray tour at 11:30am and was off the ship and enjoying the warm Caribbean sea by 9:45am and back at the welcome center for 11am to wait for my tour. Tender stickers in the low teens were coming ashore at 11am.
When do they let the Platinum pax off? After the excursion people?

In Grand Cayman they took us right to the front of the line.

Bill
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Beginner

Default Renting a cabana

How can you secure a cabana?????? Do you have to wait until you are onboard and go to the pursers desk??? Could someone please educate me on securing a cabana as we will be having my 11month old daughter with us and I want to make sure we have a place we can lay her down for naps out sun
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Yes you must go to the Shore Excursion Desk after you get on the ship.
Don't wait because sometimes they go fast. 8)
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam