Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default 3 sides to a story?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Admiral

It seems an odd excursion that affected only a couple of families.

This adds another aspect to missing the boat. If you miss the boat, you have what you have - no passport, little money, and maybe a wet swimsuit.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yep: There are three sides to this story. Did they really "miss" the pickup? There was no mention of Atlantis, plus the bus did bring them back to the ship. I figure they would have to miss the bus to miss the ship.

I believe that the tour operator is the party truly culpable for this one. They let things get out of control and the passengers missed the ship.

Green: When I did the dolphin swim in Nassau there were only two other people from my ship that booked it.

Take care,
Mike (Who is not a fan of ship's excursions)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Ok...is it just me....or would it be WAY to simple for the Purser's Desk to automatically check the Sail and Sign accounts of any passenger "not back on board" to see if they had a ship excursion booked....and IF they did....to check with said operator (since they are suppose to be in constant contact) before sailing????

I know it gets to be a grey area if people "end" their ship excursion to shop on their own....this happens all the time.

But IF the bus was there to take them back...then the tour operator should have been in contact with the ship.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

I took my daughter on the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim when we sail on the glory over Christmas. On that one, you are on a boat to and from the swim. We never got back to the ship until 15 minutes before sailing, mostly because the tour operator held us up while they burnt videos for people that bought them. I gotta say, my anxiety levels were pretty high at the time. The tour was pretty full though, so we would have had lots of company if we got left behind. One thing that concerned me was the fact I booked my daughters tour through carnival. I was only going as an observer so I had to buy mine through the tour operator directly as carnival didn't sell observer passes. I wonder if we had of got stranded, if carnival would have provided alternate transportation for us both or just my daughter. All worked out in the end though. I did manage to make it through 29 years in the navy though, and never missed my ship sailing once. Almost missed it once in Norway once because of a delayed train, but made it back onboard just in time.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Ok...is it just me....or would it be WAY to simple for the Purser's Desk to automatically check the Sail and Sign accounts of any passenger "not back on board" to see if they had a ship excursion booked....and IF they did....to check with said operator
Yep:

They know who is and who is "NOT" back on the ship. Plus they know if they were on an excursion. The ship was well aware they had not returned. The tour operator is also required to inform the ship that they are running late.

One thing to remember is that people may return from an excursion and then go off somewhere else before reboarding. The ship or the excursion operator has no control of this.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Admiral

When a cruise ship leaves someone behind, typically they notify the port agent to be on the lookout for them. They will also enter the cabin and check the safe for a passport. If they find it, they will leave that with the port agent as well.
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Carnival about scared me to death once. Ship was late leaving port and I got a call in my cabin asking if my husband was back on board or not. We had taken separate tours, so I had no idea. They started paging him. Turns out he was on the ship, but his sail and sign didn't register right during boarding. He is good about stuff like not missing the ship, but still...

On an NCL cruise, I convinced my parents to go to Chichen Itza. Tender back to the ship broke down and we were stuck for a long time. This was before electronic boarding passes. But, the ship was notified and held up for us.
Marty
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Yep: There are three sides to this story. Did they really "miss" the pickup? There was no mention of Atlantis, plus the bus did bring them back to the ship. I figure they would have to miss the bus to miss the ship.

I believe that the tour operator is the party truly culpable for this one. They let things get out of control and the passengers missed the ship.

Green: When I did the dolphin swim in Nassau there were only two other people from my ship that booked it.

Take care,
Mike (Who is not a fan of ship's excursions)

Many tours “end” without going back to the ship. Our swim with the Dolphins in Cozumel ended when the swim was over but we were invited to enjoy the rest of the day at their beach and park. They were still providing buses and taxis to go back, but we were on our own to decide when to leave.

Other tours have ended with a choice of returning to the ship or to be dropped off in the shopping area or other sites.

In those cases the tour wouldn’t be running late and the guest would still be responsible for returning on time.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Admiral

I think they missed the last bus back to their ship and attached themselves to a Destiny (or other) group thinking all Carnival ships leave the port at the same time.