Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Default Watch out for ripoffs on Carnival I just got back from GLORY

Is anyone aware of the ripoffs going on with CCL? All prices on the ship are outrages also you are double tipping. When you enter CCL ships you are automatically being charged on your card (CC card) your tips $70.00 out of this money you are paying cabin stewart, waiter, busboys and busboys in the lido deck cafe. The problem is the help in the lido deck are those same busboys from the main dinning who are being double tipped. I thought these jobs were non service jobs and it seems to me we are just subsidizing the salaries of these workers. Please check CCL website under tipping.
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Welcome to cruising. This is how it is done on all mainline cruise lines.

I always leave more than the suggested minimum tips.

This is the breakdown listed on Carnival.com

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Familiar Face

I've only been on one cruise so far, but to me, the service my dh and I received was worth every penny and more! We were leery of the $70 per person tips before we cruised, but now, we don't even blink, we just consider it a part of the cruise price, and will add tips as we go again!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM
First Mate

Default rip off

NOT.
Been on 7 cruises and the staff does a excellent job . Many of them work at least 2jobs so they deserve the$ they make
Do you want clean sheets and bathrooms, and cold drinks on a hot day
I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT.
As a new cruiser welcome to the pack
boB
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Joecru. welcome to cruising. However I have to say I believe you are wrong regarding Carnival ripping you off. I've been on the Glory 5 times and never felt ripped off. If you stayed at a nice resort on land for 7 nights, and ate out 3 squares a day, you would probably be out a lot more than what you were on Carnival.
Re / prices--- I'm just using a coke as an example--I was at P.F.Changs for lunch yesterday with some folks--had a diet coke to drink----it was $2.50.
If I consider a .15 % tip on the coke alone, that would bring the price for the coke to $ 2.87. They're cheaper than that on Carnival.

Most main stream cruise lines operate the same way re / the tipping system If for some reason you dislike the service, you can go to the pursers desk and have the tips removed. By the same token ( and most people do ) you can add to the tips if you feel your server or cabin attendant deserved it.
Again, as I said most lines, RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, etc. all operate basically the same way. I'm sure you'll enjoy cruising --just remember--nothings free!!
Happy sails to you !

Old August 29th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Passenger

I also want to add a comment. From what I have read most of these employees do not receive a lot of pay and work mostly for tips.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Familiar Face

I have always had good service to the point I just add the tip when I book the cruise. I tip extra on board.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Passenger

First of all I know what tipping is this was my nineteenth cruise four on CCL. I have never before this week been told I have to pay tips ahead of time before service is given ( which is the point of tips ). I once heard a cruise director say " tipping is a personal thing" I know how to tip and I do not need someone to take money out of my account choosing how and what I tip. With saying that I have been cruising since 1988 and until this week no cruiseline has ever taken money out of my account for tipping and decide on the amount without services rendered. Last year I did RCCL Mariner the tips went as follows $3.50 $2.00 $3.50= $63.00 with the option of taking out of sign and sail or paying cash as I always do and the workers rather have the cash. For those who have sympathy for the workers on these ships then let's remember that everyone works hard on these ships including painter, maintenance, sales people (picture, stores, phtographer ect.) why stop the tipping only in the dinning areas. Keep in mind it is not the tips it is the method on how it's being taken out. Understand that no other cruise line uses this method to charge what ever they please and if you do not catch it you will be so called tipping every employee.

RCCL: Song of Norway, Majesty,Monarch, Sovoreign, Explorer.Adventure, Enchantment, Mariner and I'm a member of Crown and Anchor Society (Diamond Member) CCL: Tropicale, Festival, Celabration, Glory. NCL Norweign Dawn. Celebrity Century and I will get back to you if I missed any oh and by the way I did Majesty and Sovereign and Adventure twice. My wife reminded me of 2006 Navigator which I also took my grandchildren and I gave them all envelopes with the tips to hand all the workers.
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

As was noted you can go to the Guest Relations desk and ask for the automatic gratuity be removed from your account.

I've yet to find the services provided to warrant removing them, and the convenience of it works for me.

NCL refers to these as service fees, not gratuities which is probably a more accurate description.
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Admiral

I always check my shipboard account for accuracy.

I leave the tips on my account and hand them extra cash. The crew expenses on the ship are subsidized and most only have limited or no time ashore. Really no place for them to spend cash on a regular basis.

The current guideline on RCCL is $9.75/day.

As mentioned, you can adjust or remove them on CCL.
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:09 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
As was noted you can go to the Guest Relations desk and ask for the automatic gratuity be removed from your account.

I've yet to find the services provided to warrant removing them, and the convenience of it works for me.

NCL refers to these as service fees, not gratuities which is probably a more accurate description.
It's also near impossible to get them changed on NCL.

Also Princess takes them out automatically.

How do they do the tipping on RCI ships that have the anytime dining or whatever name they go by?

Bill
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:10 AM
First Mate

If you opt for MTDining on RCCL you have to pay gratuities upfront.

Joecru... it is only the Hotel staff that are paid by this method. It promotes good customer service from those that are in direct contact with the passenger. Gratuities are HOW they make their salary, their base pay is very minimal. If you pay the gratuities they are shared between those workers, so that dining staff who are assigned to different venues do not miss out. When you have received extra personal service, say from your room Steward, then extra tips are indicated.
Do you really think $3.50 per day for your Steward is a rip off?

Other staff, such as Engineering, Maintenance, Sales are paid by straight salary.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was noticing on joecru's list of criuses that the three cruises prior to the Glory were on older ships, possibly before they started doing the Auto Tips, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've only been cruising for three years.

Happy Sailing
Mark

Need some cruise help?
LIBERTY - 5/2013
SPIRIT - 9/2012 (PLATINUM)
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - 10/2009
SPLENDOR - 4/2009
VICTORY - 4/2008
GLORY - 11/2007
ELATION - 6/2007
PARADISE - 10/2006
Old August 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Admiral

I too am just off "Glory", and I can assure you that there is no "Rip Off" aboard this ship, (or any other Carnival ship in my opinion.) Those folks earn every cent they get, plus a lot more. Our wait staff was the absolute best I've ever had, since we had the Captains waiter aboard Century. Our waiter Elena, was super, and we never wanted for anything at our table. Our cabin crew was just as advertised, and it seemed that they did live in our cabin because it was spotless at all times. As stated above, they earned every cent of the "auto tip", and lots more.

Ken
"SKY"
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
First Mate

I have been on 4 Carnival cruises so far, with another in 20 days and another booked for January.

In our 4 cruises so far,(Sensation twice, Glory and Freedom) I have found the $10 a day, upfront gratuity, to be ridiculously low for the amount of service we have recieved.

At just a typical dinner out at home at TGI Friday, Olive Garden, Outback, Applebees, etc... we wind up tipping $10 just for our dinner service for two.

Let alone breakfast and lunch, plus having our room serviced a minimum of twice a day.

I always tip our room steward extra and if our dining room waiters are very good (usually exceptional) we also give them an added cash tip on the last night.

I cannot understand how anyone could see $10 a day, for the amount of services receieved, could find it to be a rip off.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

As far as I know, this is nothing new. I kind of like the auto tipping policy, no need to worry about bills to hand out on the last nite. I don't quite understand the OP's suggestion that they are getting double tips?? What am I missing there.

Have to agree with the previous posters, any and all tips the staff do receive are certainly worked for, I've never had a problem with the tipping policies.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Admiral

I will take responsibility for the automatic charging of the gratuities (I call them service surcharges) to the Sail and Sign cards.

For years, I campaigned on my Comment Cards to implement this method. Since we are a family of four, I was tired of making sure I had almost $300.00 in cash...in the correct demoninations...in the correct envelopes...tracking down the right people to give it to.....

it was exhausting!

And while no method is going to make everyone happy, it is the best system for the crew.

The standing joke used to be that you got the best service in the Formal Dining Room on the last night.....because of the small number of passengers in attendance....the rest were avoiding their wait staff to stiff them on their tips.

And while it was not the majority stiffing the wait staff....it was enough to be obvious enough to make a joke about it.

We prepay ours (unless we have enough OBC to cover them) and consider it just a part of the cost of cruising.

Then I do "tip" (in the true sense of the word) those people who go above and beyond.

Those of us you have cruised enough to know the ropes....know this is the way the cruise lines pay their wait staff and stewards...and until that changes....we should go along with it or do not cruise.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Watch out for ripoffs on Carnival I just got back from G

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecru
Is anyone aware of the ripoffs going on with CCL? All prices on the ship are outrages also you are double tipping. When you enter CCL ships you are automatically being charged on your card (CC card) your tips $70.00 out of this money you are paying cabin stewart, waiter, busboys and busboys in the lido deck cafe. The problem is the help in the lido deck are those same busboys from the main dinning who are being double tipped. I thought these jobs were non service jobs and it seems to me we are just subsidizing the salaries of these workers. Please check CCL website under tipping.
On our cruises on both RCL & HAL , our dining room steward was doing
three jobs a day . One job (dining room steward) was paid.
The other two where not paid . they would normally get about
5 hrs sleep a night . They could only get ashore every second or third
port. To call or internet home was same cost as the passengers.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Well I see the people on here do not get my point so this is my last comment. If I want to give my waiter let's say $4.50 a day and my stewart $5.50 a day I'm alright with that. My question is out of the $70.00 that is charged by CCL which is minimum tips for my services ($3.50,$2.00,$3.50,=$63.00) with and additional $7.00 being charged for each passenger for misc. Where is the $7.00 going? Are you sure it's a tip or is it subsidizing pay. When I questioned it I was told it was for the staff in the lido deck for bussing tables. Keep in mind theses workers are your assitance waiter. If you want to really find out, for those who have upcoming cruises on CCL or it's affiliates ask your assitant waiter (if you care about there treatment or pay) do they receive the extra tips? Maybe this is subsidizing there base pay for example 2500 passengers =$17,500.00 do the math. Someone replied that RCCL did the same thing, please go on RCCL.com and you will see you are wrong I just did Mariner last year and they gave me an option on how I wanted to pay (and they did not take it out without my approval) from my Sign and Sail or cash. Also if you choose
" just take it from my Sign and Sail" they give you a voucher to hand to your worker. One other thing for those that don't know CCL own Holland America Line, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, Seabourn Cruise Line and Costa Cruises. and used to own NCL so if you witness this on any of these lines guess what it's still CCL. Keep in mind the object is the worker makes money not the cruisline. I owned a business for 17 years and I always made sure my employees got there tips furthermore I have never taken a tip or there tips.
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki

Yeah its funny how NCL has service fees added automatically I believe but also have a tipping recommendation policy on top of that. I read it in their brochure. A little sleight of hand in trying to get people to double pay it appears to me.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Well I see the people on here do not get my point so this is my last comment. If I want to give my waiter let's say $4.50 a day and my stewart $5.50 a day I'm alright with that. My question is out of the $70.00 that is charged by CCL which is minimum tips for my services ($3.50,$2.00,$3.50,=$63.00) with and additional $7.00 being charged for each passenger for misc. Where is the $7.00 going? Are you sure it's a tip or is it subsidizing pay. When I questioned it I was told it was for the staff in the lido deck for bussing tables. Keep in mind theses workers are your assitance waiter. If you want to really find out, for those who have upcoming cruises on CCL or it's affiliates ask your assitant waiter (if you care about there treatment or pay) do they receive the extra tips? Maybe this is subsidizing there base pay for example 2500 passengers =$17,500.00 do the math. Someone replied that RCCL did the same thing, please go on RCCL.com and you will see you are wrong I just did Mariner last year and they gave me an option on how I wanted to pay (and they did not take it out without my approval) from my Sign and Sail or cash. Also if you choose
" just take it from my Sign and Sail" they give you a voucher to hand to your worker. One other thing for those that don't know CCL own Holland America Line, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, Seabourn Cruise Line and Costa Cruises. and used to own NCL so if you witness this on any of these lines guess what it's still CCL. Keep in mind the object is the worker makes money not the cruisline. I owned a business for 17 years and I always made sure my employees got there tips furthermore I have never taken a tip or there tips.
You're right I don't get your point. And btw Carnival never owned NCL.

Just stick with RCI and don't opt for anytime dining and you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruises.

Bill
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I don't think it's the people on here that are misunderstanding.
According to Carnival website information- Gratuities consist of $3.50 per day for Stateroom service- $5.50 per day for Dining Room Service- $1.00 per day for Alternate services such as other kitchen staff and hotel service staff.
No one is doing anything underhand or double charging.
Subsidizing their pay?- well I'll explain it again so you understand... their salary structure consists of a very small basic salary - with the bulk of their pay designed to come from gratuities, which ensure good service. When these gratuities are removed it impacts negatively on the employee - ideally people only remove them when service has not met their expectations, which in my experience is rare. It's telling that the people who object to the gratuity system never object to it at the start of the cruise, only at the end once they have received the service....
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Both Carnval and RCCL have the exact same options for tipping. This is from the RCCL website:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.
Added to your onboard SeaPass account.
Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

A couple of questions, Joe,

Both Carnival and RCCL automatically add a 15% gratuity to bar bills. Do you tip differently if you go up to the bar and order a drink or if you are sitting down somewhere and a waiter brings you a drink?

When you order room service on either cruise line, do you or would you tip the person that brings it to you?
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Passenger

ZYDECOCRUISER
Both Carnval and RCCL have the exact same options for tipping. This is from the RCCL website:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.
Added to your onboard SeaPass account.
Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

A couple of questions, Joe,

Both Carnival and RCCL automatically add a 15% gratuity to bar bills. Do you tip differently if you go up to the bar and order a drink or if you are sitting down somewhere and a waiter brings you a drink?

When you order room service on either cruise line, do you or would you tip the person that brings it to you?

First of all you are wrong! CCL debits your tips from your SSA when you set it up automatically ( meaning that they just take your money and do what they want) in other words today $7.00 per pass. and next year maybe $11.00 per pass. because remember they take the money out without your permission. Also the point you are missing is that I have no problem giving tips for service rendered 15% or 20% or when food is delivered to my room which is a service. So I think you still do not get my point in other words maybe some do but I don't need anyone controling my money. It is my choice on when I tip or how I tip if I do not want to pay 15% I will not order a drink from the bar if I don't want to tip for room service I don't order room service you see this is control of your money not have someone take it out I'm not a child nor am I ignorant.
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
First of all you are wrong! CCL debits your tips from your SSA when you set it up automatically ( meaning that they just take your money and do what they want) in other words today $7.00 per pass. and next year maybe $11.00 per pass. because remember they take the money out without your permission. Also the point you are missing is that I have no problem giving tips for service rendered 15% or 20% or when food is delivered to my room which is a service. So I think you still do not get my point in other words maybe some do but I don't need anyone controling my money. It is my choice on when I tip or how I tip if I do not want to pay 15% I will not order a drink from the bar if I don't want to tip for room service I don't order room service you see this is control of your money not have someone take it out I'm not a child nor am I ignorant.

Joe, when you board Carnival, you can head straight to the purser's desk and have the auto-tips removed. It IS the same.

Most people use a credit card as a deposit against the SSA. Nothing is charged to the credit card until AFTER the cruise. If you use cash or a debit card it is a little different, but if you go to the purser's desk as mentioned above, there is no difference.

No money has changed hands.

I am not ignorant. You are entitled to your opinion, but I do not agree with your analysis and don't think anyone else does.
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Passenger

DONNA

As far as I know, this is nothing new. I kind of like the auto tipping policy, no need to worry about bills to hand out on the last nite. I don't quite understand the OP's suggestion that they are getting double tips?? What am I missing there.

Have to agree with the previous posters, any and all tips the staff do receive are certainly worked for, I've never had a problem with the tipping policies.

Understand, this is not a method of tipping that is your choice but charges on CCL charge to passengers that has nothing to do with your personal service. In the pass the cruiseline trusted the customer to pay there tips at the end of there cruise but now they feel (CCL) you must pay your tip at the beginning of your cruise not giving you a choice. But that is not what bother me it's that they(CCL) decided to add an extra $7.00 a passenger for misc. Someone on here said that all cruise lines do this and that is not true. Please check RCCL against CCL and compare tipping price and methods. One more thing this is not how it used to be even with CCL you choose how and what you were going to tip maybe this is a way to stop deadbeats and I'm fine with that but don't you this as a way to take more money from my account for misc. Don't take my word for it do some research.
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Passenger

S.S.OCEANLOVER

Just stick with RCI and don't opt for anytime dining and you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruises.

Bill

Exactly but why not the same thing on CCL.
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Admiral

On any cruise line, including NCL and CCL, you can have the auto tips removed from your sail and sign. Then, do the tips the way you want to.
Marty
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Passenger

DOOPYDOZER

On our cruises on both RCL & HAL , our dining room steward was doing
three jobs a day . One job (dining room steward) was paid.
The other two where not paid . they would normally get about
5 hrs sleep a night . They could only get ashore every second or third
port. To call or internet home was same cost as the passengers.

I agree these workers are overworked but keep in mind I'm not the employer and if this was the USA they most likely would not get away with it. I have no problem paying more for my cruise to give these people a raise but we know that is not going to happen. Because in reallity this how cruise have always been. My problem is the tactics on how CCL keeps it's prices low but add these fees on your account without your permission.
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Joe - is that $7.00 a one-time charge? Is it per person or per cabin?

I have to admit I did not get what you were saying at first either, but you are saying that in addition to the regular tip charges they have a miscillaneous service fee that they charge right at the beginning of the cruise, right?

That would be a little strange and something new thing I have not seen before, personally. Of course, they could have easily hidden it by raising the daily charge by $.50 per person (or is it per stateroom?).

In any case, I don't like stocker shock, either, but it still isn't as bad as my phone bill with a dozen extra service fees for anything they can think of.