Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Default one more tipping question

Could someone give me a rough idea how much to tip in addition to our $10.00 per day for exceptional service. (room steward, wait staff). Do you just hand them actual cash (1st, 2nd or last day) or leave it in the room. What about wait staff, (1st, 2nd or last day). I want to be fair but I also do not want to worry about how to handle this situation.
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

What you tip extra is up to you - there really are no guidelines.

I tip at the end of the cruise.

If I am traveling solo, I figure the room stewards really did about the same amount of work for half the tips of a couple, so increase my tip just for that, but I don't usually travel solo these days.

In general, I usually hand the stateroom steward an extra $20 and my headwaiter in the dining room the same. I would not leave it in the stateroom or on the table - no telling who might pick it up.

If I have special requests above the norm, I often will tip a little extra upon completion.

One area many people don't realize, is that the tips for room service are not built into the gratuity scheme, so you should tip some for that, at the time service is rendered. Obviously if you don't use it, no need to tip for it. Usually a $1 or $2 or more, depending on how much you order.
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Hi Thank you for the information. I was hoping that my ballpark figure was about right and I think it is. When I go to Vegas (quite often), we tip the maid each day we are there. I usually leave it on the bed. Room Service is the same. (tipping when they deliver food). I think $2.00 or so for room service is a good deal. I think the service the staff provides is an important part of our vacation enjoyment and are grateful if they are happy and not grumpy.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Familiar Face

Default Brings up interesting question...

Tipping before or after event is over?

I had a friend many years ago who's mom, whenever the whole family and me tagging along go out to dinner, she would always tip the wait staff immediately as we ordered our initial drinks. I always thought this was odd as the "norm" is always at the end. However, my observation was that we would ALWAYS get AWESOME service for the rest of the meal. Of course it helps that she is a big tipper too. While I always think about that, I end up tipping at the end...because its the norm...I'm such a boring person

Our last 7 day cruise, the dinner wait staffs went "above and beyond" by entertaining my boys (5 & 7) on days when they were not busy by showing them how to fold napkin animals and folding origami. I tipped them $10 extra which I felt was a little low, on the last night.

Now I never understood tipping of the Maitre'd. If I had to get assistance with redoing table or dinner time, then I would understand but otherwise I consider them to be at least middle management levels and should have been taken cared of well by the company and shouldn't be looking out for tips to make ends meet.
Carnival Fantasy Aug 2008
Carnival Esctacy Aug 2007
Celebrity Century Jan 1999
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Your friend's mother remembers that 'tip" derives from "To Insure Promptness". Or so I was told by my great uncle.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Your friend's mother remembers that 'tip" derives from "To Insure Promptness". Or so I was told by my great uncle.
A lot of people cite that saying, but in that usage the word Insure would actually be spelled Ensure which would make the acronym, TEP.

Just my observations.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
Passenger

My friend and her family have been on numerous cruises and as soon as they board the boat and get their first drink, they tip server and they get great service throughout the cruise. I, however, think the cruise lines frown on this because they are also getting their tip in the bar bill. I think if a tip is given to a drink server it is done under the table. But hey, whatever works. I remember in the old days of Vegas, when you would tip the person seating you for a Vegas show and if you tipped he would take you to the front row.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
Captain

Tipping --- well I have been known to put $20 in an envelope and give it to my room steward at the start of the cruise.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose