Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Default Tipping: Would it matter?

In another thread the OP complained that the gratuities show up on your bill from day 1 of your cruise. I think this throws many first time cruisers without understanding that this is the one charge you can modify.

Would it make a difference if the gratuities kept showing up on your bill $10/day, or didn't show up until the end of the cruise?

I think once you understand the process seeing the tips up front is a good idea, this then allows you your entire cruise to modify them as you see fit. It might certainly come as a shock if they got added on at the end of the cruise.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

To me, it doesn't matter if they show up daily or a total sum for the entire cruise. Its something you already know you will pay for, no suprises there. May-be a first timer doesn't realize how it works, but its certainly talked about enough and every T/A I've had will make sure you know about it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Truthfully, I really don't care if it's the first day, last day, or each day of the cruise. As Donna said; I know that there is a gratuity charge and as long as it equals what the per diem for that cruise line, I'm fine with however they want to charge for it.

I do believe that there will be opinions for each. Some people want to see their gratuity charges in one line item. Others probably feel they shouldn't be charged until after they receive the service each day and others will want it to hit at the end of the cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Truthfully, I really don't care if it's the first day, last day, or each day of the cruise. As Donna said; I know that there is a gratuity charge and as long as it equals what the per diem for that cruise line, I'm fine with however they want to charge for it.

I do believe that there will be opinions for each. Some people want to see their gratuity charges in one line item. Others probably feel they shouldn't be charged until after they receive the service each day and others will want it to hit at the end of the cruise.

Take care,
Mike
And some think they shouldn't be charged at all.

Bill
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

In the first days of the interactive TV in the cabin, Carnival did charge $10 per day to the account. I recall seeing it listed that way. Don't now when they started doing just the single charge. Doesn't really matter to me.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Passenger

I don't know why yhis controvserial Princess tells you up front ehat it will cost. of course unless you are really stingy,you will give extra tips to those who serve you the most
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYCEV
I don't know why yhis controvserial Princess tells you up front ehat it will cost. of course unless you are really stingy,you will give extra tips to those who serve you the most
It's only contraversial to the control freaks and the people that have conspiracy theories.

Bill
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Admiral

I for one appreciate auto-tip. I don't care when they add it because the cost is the same. I don't want to spend my vacation stuffing envelopes and worrying about who I might have missed or who got an extra seven bucks. It is so much easier to just leave the auto-tip in place because it is always well deserved and give extra to anyone who made my trip special.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:47 PM
Admiral

I don't care. My account isn't settled before the end of the cruise.

I too, view it as a service Carnival provides. Heck, I might even pay a little extra for them to take care of the distribution and just bill me. But don't tell them, that!
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:48 PM
Admiral

I've not cruised under the envelope system. It always sounded like a pain and maybe a little more "in your face" than the auto-tip. Plus you have to be sure you hang on to a certain amount of cash to do the tipping.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
I've not cruised under the envelope system. It always sounded like a pain and maybe a little more "in your face" than the auto-tip. Plus you have to be sure you hang on to a certain amount of cash to do the tipping.
You would have to stand in line with everyone else at the purser's desk to break larger bills into smaller denominations, stuff dirty money into envelopes, Lord help you if you licked and sealed them.

Much better for only one person, maybe two, to stand in line to remove auto-tips

The last day is hectic enough without worrying if you gave the right envelope to the right person.

Also was hectic on cabin stewards who had to make themselves available to receive the gratuities and clean the staterooms at the same time.

With Anytime Dining or whatever they call it, auto-tipping is about the only way to make sure the staff gets their share.
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:04 PM
Familiar Face

I like to add it when I book the cruise so when I get the sail and sign book at the end of the cruise. I do not see that charge on there. It does not seem that I over spent
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Admiral

Unfortunately, there are those few that would rather not tip at all. I believe that is the basis for starting a tipping program as it is, to insure that the tips do get paid. I've never had a problem with it, the tips are earned and deserved.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Passenger

I am one of those that did not start cruising until Carnival had already started the "auto tips." I am actually glad that they do it up front so to speak, in fact, I have it included in my payments when I book my cruise, then I do not have to worry about it. While onboard, I will normally tip my cabin steward as well as the waitstaff for my table in the MDR, but not always, it really is dependant on service.

Old September 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Passenger

on top pof the auto tip we always figure $50 PER WEEK TO OUR stateroom attendent and $20 each to our witers per week
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
First Mate

The problem is "novice" cruisers on a fixed price for the cruise. If I heard it once I've heard it a million times... "I put $400 on my S&S card and now I'm out of money... What happened?" Usually it's a couple (and I hate to say it - from the south) and no one really TOLD them the tips would be removed from the amount on the S&S card. They figure I've got $400 for drinks/trinkets/fake tattoos/etc. and all the sudden on the 3rd day the S&S card is rejected. You can hear them now at the pursers office... then they get nasty and remove the tips because the trip was "all-inclusive"... at least that's what Jethro said before we left home... lol
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
I don't care. My account isn't settled before the end of the cruise.

I too, view it as a service Carnival provides. Heck, I might even pay a little extra for them to take care of the distribution and just bill me. But don't tell them, that!
EXACTLY!
Who cares when the charge shows on the account. The account is not paid until the cruise is over. And the workers don't get the tips until after we pay our bill.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Admiral

I think the last people who got "stranded" because they used their debit card for their S&S where from Kansas.

Old September 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
The biggest problem back in the 'envelope days' was not the logistics of it or having the change. It was the FACT that the last night [TIP NIGHT] the dining room was half OR MORE, empty. At one time there was no such thing as an alternative or 'specialty restaurant' And there was NO full buffet for dinner. Yet, with no where else to eat on the last night, the dining room was embarrassingly unattended. The cheapos would forgo a meal rather than pay the tip.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan40
The biggest problem back in the 'envelope days' was not the logistics of it or having the change. It was the FACT that the last night [TIP NIGHT] the dining room was half OR MORE, empty. At one time there was no such thing as an alternative or 'specialty restaurant' And there was NO full buffet for dinner. Yet, with no where else to eat on the last night, the dining room was embarrassingly unattended. The cheapos would forgo a meal rather than pay the tip.
BUT you could get 3rd's on the lobster - which was 10 pounds at least and came with a 20 filet... yummm!
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Beginner

Bobsfamily....Usually it's a couple (and I hate to say it - from the south)
Why would you assume they are from the south? It sounds more like a first time cruiser that did not understand. I never will understand why some people has a problem tipping. If they had browse this site, they would have found all the information they needed. You guys have helped me throughout my cruising. I love to read everyones comments.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan40
BUT you could get 3rd's on the lobster - which was 10 pounds at least and came with a 20 filet... yummm!
Your imagination is overly vivid and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cloudy!
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:14 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusingalong
Bobsfamily....Usually it's a couple (and I hate to say it - from the south)
Why would you assume they are from the south? It sounds more like a first time cruiser that did not understand. I never will understand why some people has a problem tipping. If they had browse this site, they would have found all the information they needed. You guys have helped me throughout my cruising. I love to read everyones comments.
Being from the south I was joking, I guess if I was from Maine I would have used them... and as for the tipping I was pointing out why someone would want to remove them... not right just a fact. It seems that many people just plain don't get the fact that the tips are removed from your S&S account.

As for browsing this site or any other site... many of first time cruisers never find these sites/don't browse anything on the web/etc. Most find these sites after cruising. We all seem to think everyone who cruises check it all out online while many go to a conventional TA and receive all info from them.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
First Mate

Have been on numerous cruises since the 50,s and do not need to list them for ego purposes; however believe me that those in the South would be offended by your comments regards tipping and I can promise you it is not those from the South anymore than any other part of the US and would bet that other service establishments receive the same treatment from these individuals.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Passenger

I personally like to prepay the tips and gratuities. It is just one less thing to pay in the end.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I always think about the study that NCL did when they implemented their service charge.

They began tracking the people who removed their service charge in order to "tip in person". They found out that 90% of these people never tipped a penny. In other words they "stiffed" the crew.

I know there are a number of legitimate people who do remove the automatic gratuity and tip in person and I appreciate the sentiment behind this. But everyone should know that most of the people who do this are not doing this to have a personal connection to the people who served them. They do it because they are just plain cheap, low class and use the "personal connection" as a cover for their behavior.

I know there will be people who read this that may get a bit angry because they do not stiff the staff. I applaud them but they should know that the cheapskates have ruined it for them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Mike,
Wow, I had no idea the numbers were that high?? I know some of our tipping threads get pretty dicey and I don't like to think that there are those out there that would go on a cruise, stop the auto tipping and give nothing.. I must say those numbers do suprise me, although I knew there were some. No wonder the cruiselines had to go to the auto tipping...That truly gets me

Message Boards Moderator