Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Captain

Default No Formal Rental on Dream in Europe

Just noticed this morning that Carnival is not renting Tuxedos on the Dream for the Europe Cruises in October. Since there are only 2 before the transatlantic, I guess they could not get this set up with a local vendor.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Actually 3 - Sept 21, Oct 3 and Oct 15.

I doubt it is through a local vendor - I imagine there is one vendor fleet wide.
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
Actually 3 - Sept 21, Oct 3 and Oct 15.

I doubt it is through a local vendor - I imagine there is one vendor fleet wide.
I don't know. Maybe they have to get them cleaned in ports. They only have two Europe cruises on the Dream before they do the Transatlantic. That must have something to do with them not having the tuxedos on the Europe cruises. It did not say that they would not have them on the cruises once they start operating out the US ports.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Sept 21, Oct 3, and Oct 15 makes three Mediterranean cruises before the Oct 27 Transatlantic.

They should have dry cleaning available on the ship.

With fewer men (and I suppose women) wearing tuxedos, and even fewer renting them, I think Carnival wants to do away with the tux rentals altogether.
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

With the lines relaxed dress code, I would think they would just do away with this option.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Sept 21, Oct 3, and Oct 15 makes three Mediterranean cruises before the Oct 27 Transatlantic.

They should have dry cleaning available on the ship.

With fewer men (and I suppose women) wearing tuxedos, and even fewer renting them, I think Carnival wants to do away with the tux rentals altogether.
You are right. I knew there were three, because we are on the third one. Ijust typed it wrong. Even so, that is still just a few which makes me think that is why they are not offering this on the Europe cruises. It does not say on all Dream cruises at this time, just those in Europe. If they have dry cleaning on board, it must be only for their formal wear because they don't offer it to the passengers. Maybe they have contracts with vendors at their home ports to do "one day service" on the formal wear that they rent.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Carnival Splendor has dry cleaning available for all, I assume Dream will, also.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/splendor/laundryPrices.htm
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: No Formal Rental on Dream in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Just noticed this morning that Carnival is not renting Tuxedos on the Dream for the Europe Cruises in October. Since there are only 2 before the transatlantic, I guess they could not get this set up with a local vendor.
My bad - it seems you were correct...

From John Heald's blog today:

"This is all news to me. I was not aware of this until I read your posting. However, I did some checking and have been told by the department that runs our Formalities shops that we had some supplier issues with our tuxes on the Carnival Dream’s European sailings but tuxes will be available once the ship gets to the states."
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:

"This is all news to me. I was not aware of this until I read your posting. However, I did some checking and have been told by the department that runs our Formalities shops that we had some supplier issues with our tuxes on the Carnival Dream’s European sailings but tuxes will be available once the ship gets to the states."

That's okay. I didn't know that any of the ships had dry cleaning on them. Is that just for their formal wear, or for the passengers to have things cleaned?

BTW, I have sailed with John Heald before and he is a hoot, but I don't really follow his blog regularly. Do you happen to know how a person can e-mail him directly with a question?
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Familiar Face

Default tux

tux, whats that?
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Tuxedo-A type of semi-formal men's apparel worn after 6pm to Black-Tie Events. Every man should know about this and, in my opinion, own at least one(price for a used or basic one is the same price as a rental btw).

My thoughts on why they aren't doing tux rentals is it is probably related to an issue with a vendor, since it is a new ship.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
Tuxedo-A type of semi-formal men's apparel worn after 6pm to Black-Tie Events. Every man should know about this and, in my opinion, own at least one(price for a used or basic one is the same price as a rental btw).

My thoughts on why they aren't doing tux rentals is it is probably related to an issue with a vendor, since it is a new ship.
I agree. I have been trying to my DH to buy one for a while instead of renting on the ship. The main reason he always wanted to rent was to cut down on packing, particularly when we have to fly to the cruise port. Since the Dream is not doing the Formal rental in Europe, I finally got him to buy a tux. Now he will only have to rent the jacket (tails) if we go to a Mardi Gras ball this year.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Admiral

I got a $400(retail) Tommy Hilfiger Tux, single button peak lapel for $150 on eBay last year. I am still wanting to add to my collection. However, it is highly recommended to buy a self tie bow tie(should only be black or midnight blue), cufflinks, and better studs. I think the cufflinks and studs are a chance to reflect the kind of person you are. A person may also wear a colored cummerbund or vest, and should have a pair of braces(suspenders) in their setup. I also recommend a colored pocket square, which can either match the cummerbund/vest or, if you opt to go with the black cummerband or vest can be a color of your choosing, including white. I do suggest getting a rolling garment bag and travel steamer to take with you. These two items work wonders when it comes to having your evening best look it's best.
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's okay. I didn't know that any of the ships had dry cleaning on them. Is that just for their formal wear, or for the passengers to have things cleaned?

BTW, I have sailed with John Heald before and he is a hoot, but I don't really follow his blog regularly. Do you happen to know how a person can e-mail him directly with a question?
I always have my tux dry cleaned on board after the last formal night. It is much less than on land cleaners, the ships dry cleaners does many more of them than a land cleaners [the crew all have tux type outfits]
Once the rs brings it back to me, I place it in its special storage hanger and just hang it when I get home. Local shop charges $23.00 to clean a tux. Don't remember CCL's price but RCCL was $7.00 for a better job than the local! And it MUST be cleaned before being put away or you will need a new tux.
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Admiral

My local store charges about $10, but I may check to see if the ship is cheaper on mine. Still need to learn to tie my bow tie though.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
My local store charges about $10, but I may check to see if the ship is cheaper on mine. Still need to learn to tie my bow tie though.
Dat's what wives is for!

Sometimes [rarely] I can tie it perfectly first try. But if not, EACH try goes further downhill???????? Never in my life have I worn a bow tie except with a tux. Regular ties I wore for more than 30 years. Single Windsor, double, four-in-hand, whatever, I don't even have to think about, but the bow, if I think, I'm sunk!
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Dan, you are talking to a completely single man. I have to fend for myself(I can't tie a necktie either so when I get someone to tie one for me, I leave it that way).
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Dan, you are talking to a completely single man. I have to fend for myself(I can't tie a necktie either so when I get someone to tie one for me, I leave it that way).
Well the bow tie is simple. You tie it exactly like you tie your shoelaces. Don't think, just do it, and you're fine. Think about it and you'll need someone to help untie you!
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Under $20!

Under $15!! Cheap!

http://www.rudedudeboxers.com/images...928979059.jpeg
{picture was huge and I don't feel like looking up BB right now...}

I'll pick up current prices on Carnival Dream next week, but this was from Carnival Splendor:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/splendor/misc/laundry.jpg
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default tux coat

O, tux, black tie event, we don't have them in the South.

I do have a sport coat that I paid $15.00 for at Burks Outlet.

A lobester taste the same no matter what you have on.

Had one with a steak last night. Shorts and polo.
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Admiral

We most certainly do have them in the south. Aside from weddings and the quinceaneras that some families here in the south, I know of several black tie events in the south including the annual US Ballroom Association black tie event in North Carolina. Plus, any time you go to an opera, ballet or symphony it is permitted to wear one, as well as to theater openings(the first night events) are sometimes done this way. I am far from being society, but do try to involve myself with charity work and the arts as often as possible, plus I personally enjoy ballroom dancing. There are many reasons why one should own a tux, but one of the best reasons is that the second time you use one, you have already saved money more than likely. On some of the more expensive tuxedos, it takes 3 or 4 times to save money over rentals, but most men, especially ones with daughters, can easily use one that many times in their lifetime.
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: tux coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzx
O, tux, black tie event, we don't have them in the South.

I do have a sport coat that I paid $15.00 for at Burks Outlet.

A lobester taste the same no matter what you have on.

Had one with a steak last night. Shorts and polo.
There are thousands of black tie events in the South. And a clawless tropical lobster does not taste anything like a Maine lobster no matter WHAT you are wearing!
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Familiar Face

Default black tie

I'm right above the Florida line.

We have no Arts, and we wear suits or jeans and shirts to to weddings.

As for this quinceaneras, have no idea as to what it is.

US Ballroom Association , not around here.

and North Carolina is north not south.

Theater openings ,Ballroom Dancing, not around my area.

But we do Square Dance, jeans and shirt.

Back at the senior prom we did wear a suit.

And church,some have suits, some jeans and shirt and a few in shorts.

I guess the only place that I see a tux around here would be a wedding. And at that the guy getting married would be the one with that on.

We had 2 tux shops here a few years back but one moved to another town and the other just closed.

Have fun and enjoy, no matter what we have on. My purple jacket & jeans
Just saw a TV ad. What happened to the ladies and make-up and hose ?

Think this might start something???
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Anything Virginia and below is part of the south. As for your area, can I help it if your area tends to be unsophisticated. Same could be said about mine as well, though I would much prefer to see a black tie wedding.
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Florida is almost anti-formal wear! The almost year round heat makes it uncomfortable. And, having grown up with strict dress codes, including ball gowns and tuxes, I am quite happy to not have to deal with all that ever again.
I have one friend who is a wedding planner and another who is a wedding photographer and only the bridal party gents were tuxes. And, even that in unusual. Mostly dark suits. But, a lot weddings here are on the beach, so many weddings are much more casual.
Marty
Not a big fan of the penguin convention look.
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Admiral

I am quite the opposite. I prefer the chance to show off my sophistication and do not get nearly enough opportunities to do so. Perhaps soon I will be able to increase my opportunities to do so.
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Florida is almost anti-formal wear! The almost year round heat makes it uncomfortable. And, having grown up with strict dress codes, including ball gowns and tuxes, I am quite happy to not have to deal with all that ever again.
I have one friend who is a wedding planner and another who is a wedding photographer and only the bridal party gents were tuxes. And, even that in unusual. Mostly dark suits. But, a lot weddings here are on the beach, so many weddings are much more casual.
Marty
Not a big fan of the penguin convention look.
Funny, on the Atlantic coast of Florida there are many black tie events. We have a thing called AIR CONDITIONING here!