Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
Admiral

Kat..that last posting was way too conservative for my taste
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Admiral

While I'll admit, some parts of the ships I've been on... (paradise & Pride) are a bit busy and somewhat confusing sometimes.....
I've stood in both and at one point or another admired at how beautiful it was and how much detail was put into it...

I love carnival.... It's the funships.... 8) 8) 8) 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Whimsical is the word that comes to mind when I see most of Joe Farcus' designs. Spirit class seems to be a bit more subdued a little touch of elegance.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, Liberace's Bedroom.

Still you have to admit it is kind of ironic for Carnival to have that that beautiful but oddball decor outside and yet their staterooms run from overly plain (on the Fantasy-class) to very pleasant and functional (on Triumph-classes) to some of the best in the mainstream cruise business on the Spirit-class.

At least with NCL Epic you will see the cabins take on the feel of the entire ship, so maybe everyone will be getting "Liberace's Bedroom" when they are on onboard Norwegian Epic.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Yes, Liberace's Bedroom.

Still you have to admit it is kind of ironic for Carnival to have that that beautiful but oddball decor outside and yet their staterooms run from overly plain (on the Fantasy-class) to very pleasant and functional (on Triumph-classes) to some of the best in the mainstream cruise business on the Spirit-class.

At least with NCL Epic you will see the cabins take on the feel of the entire ship, so maybe everyone will be getting "Liberace's Bedroom" when they are on onboard Norwegian Epic.
You are right about the Fun Ship staterooms, they do tend to be rather spartan. Compared to the grand atriums, lavish dining rooms, and breath-taking show lounges, the staterooms are on the austere side.
That one reason I'll settle for a 1A in that I'm only need a bed, bathroom, and door that locks.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I like Carnival and love their food but to me Carnival's interiors convey excess. Things are just too repeated and some are on the verge of gaudy and others are definitely gaudy.

The most repeated thing on a Carnival ship that really bugged me were the "Urns" on Carnival Legend. It got old really fast.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yeah, Kuki did an article on the "urnterior decor" of the ship.

Urns? Don't they usually contain ashes of cremated loved ones?
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Admiral

The Legend is a lovely ship...once one gets past the urns.
Yeah, urns do remind me of a funeral palor.

/ticker.png">
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Passenger

Whim 8) sical and "let the VACATion BEGIN"!!

Glory 6/10 St. John and Halifax

Pride 2/10 Pt. Canaveral,Nassau and Freeport

Pride 10/09 Pt. Canaveral,Nassau and Freeport

Triumph 6/09 St. John

Victory 6/08 St. John and Halifax

Fantasy 2/07 Cozumel
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Admiral

Vegas a little gawdy, a little loud, and over the top. Stimulate us perhaps to spend, drink more?

I'd like to see more refined designs and more relaxing. Still have use of color but more simplicity such as an Asian theme, 60's retro, as well as reproductions of classic Ocean liners with stained glass windows etc... I think having looked at some of the Holland America ship photos they look nice as do Celebrity but I have not cruised them yet. Only Carnival and Costa Mediterrenia which was designed by the same guy who did Carnivals Spirit class ships.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i think Joe Farcus is a genius and his interiors work very well (newer boats more than old). the Valor is the most beautfiful ship I've ever been on next to Royal's Brilliance.

carnival has a way of instilling a 'let go and have fun attitude'~and that's why i keep going back. love the design and decor of Carnival.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Admiral

well Dayam Paul I now have to go on the Valor again to find the lil green eyes that were freaking you out.... but before I book that cruise, just curious, were you on medication?? when you were on teh valor (JJ )))
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Alot of it looks like it belongs on a space ship in a movie.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am just wondering - do you think the new carnival ships are toned down more?
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

What do I think? G-A-U-D-Y
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Admiral

I think a lot of adjectives could be used to describe Carnival ships--not particularly gaudy, in my opinion, just different and interesting for sure.
Some more subdued than others, etc.
Joe Farcus is far from being nuts when it comes to designing these ships--he has to have a brilliant mind and imagination to come up with all the things he does.
All in all , it's worked well as they are the largest cruise line in the world so apparently people like what they see and what they get for the dough !! :-)
I'm off on the Dream in a few days and am wondering what surprises will be in store for me when I see it!!
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Passenger

I can't wait to get on the Splendor in about a month and stare at all those balls... everywhere. Wait, that sounds a little off. Anyway, I love old Vegas! I was just there on a girlfriends' trip and made sure we all went to Fremont one night. That over the top style is fun, especially while on vacation! Carnival is "the fun ship." How fun would it be with subdued interiors and tasteful decor? When in Vegas I have far more fun on cheap ole Fremont St or someplace like the IP than in the Belagio. I always feel like I need to "keep it down" and be a bit more dignified there than when I head to play beer pong in front of the IP.

I think the crazy decor lends to the fun. I hope the interiors are not too toned down.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Brina...

I think most Carnival passengers completely agree with you, and that is what makes it fun. And you won't be disappointed by the decor.
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Familiar Face

i think that some of the "themes" are quite wild, and could be toned down a bit.definately not as classy as RCCL, but i still love cruising with Carnival the best.
Carnival Jubilee 88
Carnival Holiday 89
Sovereign of the Seas 91
Carnival Celebration 92
Big Red Boat 93
Explorer of the Seas 03
Carnival Victory 04
Carnival Legend 05
Jewel of the Seas 06
Carnival Triumph 06
Carnival Miracle 07
Carnival Victory 07
Carnival Miracle 08
Carnival Miracle 09
Carnival Liberty 10
Celebrity Reflection 14
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Carnival interiors are almost like a funhouse at times. Like Alice in Wonderland's house at Disneyland (I think that may be gone by now) where everything is out of proportion.
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
First Mate

I am an avid Carnival cruiser,although I haven't cruised extensively on other cruise lines. Carnival is ,in my opinion , not only the lines name but their philosophy in decor. These ships evoke a festive atmosphere much like mardi gras in New Orleans or Carnivale in Rio. They are not elegant or sophisticated by anyones standards, but they do to tend to help relieve inhibitions and evoke relaxation much more readily than their " stuffier" competition. Carnival has carved a niche into the cruise community unlikely to be equaled. After all we all have different tastes in vacations, as an example, look at Disney and the range of accommodations they provide.

most of all remember "A bad day of cruising beats a good day at work"
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Passenger

I think of the glitz of Las Vegas, which I like. I like colors and lights. I have not cruised a lot of ships but what I have seen I do like.
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Passenger

I think the decor I have seen is beautiful and inspiring. I love bold colors and the use of textures and odd shapes is very neat! Old Las Vegas is fitting for some of the ships. But I also love the over the top lights and glitz of there too. If I wanted to look at plain walls with classical, refined artwork, I would visit a local museum!
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Familiar Face

Good question Paul. I think that we are on vacation, We don't have a care in the world and that we will be going to three or four destinations that most people in the states will never go to. We love the themes that Joe Farcus has come up with. Looking forward to the DREAM this November.
Caribbean Princess
106 Days At Sea
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Familiar Face

I never think anything of them one way or the other, really. I don't pick a cruise or a particular ship or cruiseline for the decor.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Let me put it this way ......... I loved my first cruise on Fantasy DESPITE the decor.
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Admiral

I think that when peopoe go on a cruise ship vacation, they want a completely different environment than they have at honem (other than modern conveniences, of coourse! So the ship designers use colors, fabrics, themes, etc. to create a unique world unto itself.

I have only bee on Sensation so far and really don't like all that neon, purple, orange, etc. as I just didn't find it "fun." I'm glad Imagination has more subdued colors as I'm more into "relaxation" than "fun" so I will enoy sailing her in just over 5 weeks!!!

Looking at the photos I've seen of other ships, they all have a "take me away" feeling that let's the cruise know they aren't in Kansas (or Chicago, or whereever home is) anymore and that is part of the excitement of going on vacation. Most hotel rooms are dull and boring, and cruise ships definitely are not!

I also love architecture and design and art, so from a photographer's point of view, it's fun to look at all of these aspects of cruise ships.

Too much of anything, like the urns mentioned in an earlier post, I agree, is just too much.

Michelle
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Maumekim Send a message via MSN to Maumekim Send a message via Yahoo to Maumekim

Seeing the splendor photos take me back 2 weeks to when I was aboard. I loved it. The colors arent loud, and to be honest are a bit calming. the muted pinks in the atrium make you a bit calm, happy, and awake all at once. I was a bit surprised no one had mentioned all of the "people" scenes on the walls. Kinda reminded me of 40s / 50s era..stag bars, prohibition, etc. that ive seen in movies...sorta Dean Martin kind of thing.

I do think FUN - Mardi Gras - change from the usual...which is what you want on vacation

1st cruise Jan 31, 2010 Carnival Splendor
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

"I'm home"

I love Carnival and it's decor. It makes it unique and Joe Farcus is a genius. The Destiny disappointed me a little bit but that's ok~the fun I had on board made up for it.

LOVE, love, love Carnival~everything about it!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I made a mistake, it was not Valor that has the green everywhere, it is Victory.

And no, I don't think I was on drugs, but I think I had a flashback.

Green is just not my favorite color for accents - especially Christmas neon green.

You don't see the Turkish Evil Eyes here, but you get the idea: