Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Familiar Face

Default Christmas Lights On Your Balcony

Hi All--

I have cruised several times on Princess, and have always brought a string of Christmas lights and a long extension cord. I tape the lights around the outside frame of my balcony cabin. I have always had a great reaction, with most guests telling me "I wish I would have thought of that". It sets a nice mood at night, as I turn off all other cabin lights.

Question--
I have sailed Carnival 10 times now, but have booked my first balcony cabin with them for the Victory sailing in October. Has anyone heard of any restrictions regarding the use of Christmas Lights hanging around your outside balcony?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Admiral

I'm not aware of any specific prohibition. Since the extension cord would prevent the door from being closed your cabin steward might disconnect it.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Captain

Somebody may say its a fire hazard but its better to plead ignorance than ask for permission.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Admiral

I imagine they wouldn't like the extension cord running out the door. There is only one outlet in most cabins, so the cord would be running from above the desk and under the bed or so.

There are battery powered lights available.

One year we put up battery powered "stars" that changed colors and twinkled.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Considering the balcony fire which severely damaged the Star Princess, I find it interesting that Princess allowed it. Christmas lights do cause fires in homes every year.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Christmas Lights On Your Balcony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick's Guy
Hi All--

I have cruised several times on Princess, and have always brought a string of Christmas lights and a long extension cord. I tape the lights around the outside frame of my balcony cabin. I have always had a great reaction, with most guests telling me "I wish I would have thought of that". It sets a nice mood at night, as I turn off all other cabin lights.

Question--
I have sailed Carnival 10 times now, but have booked my first balcony cabin with them for the Victory sailing in October. Has anyone heard of any restrictions regarding the use of Christmas Lights hanging around your outside balcony?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I don't remember the reason why but lights are not allowed on the balcony (or any other decorations for that matter). I've been on a couple of Carnival cruise where you couldn't use the lights installed on the balcony. The decision was up to the captain.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraway
I don't remember the reason why but lights are not allowed on the balcony (or any other decorations for that matter). I've been on a couple of Carnival cruise where you couldn't use the lights installed on the balcony. The decision was up to the captain.
The reason is the lights can interfere with the bridge crew at night. If they have to look aft from the bridge wings any unapproved lighting can reduce their ability to see. I specifically recall being told this when we had a suite on the Holiday.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraway
The reason is the lights can interfere with the bridge crew at night. If they have to look aft from the bridge wings any unapproved lighting can reduce their ability to see. I specifically recall being told this when we had a suite on the Holiday.
I have heard this, too, but considering a cruise ship at sea is lit up like a star burst, I'm not sure I buy it.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Not to go too far off topic, but I never understood the "lift your shades" thing on airplane landings. Especially in day light! Plus, it seems to be only certain airlines that require it.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Honestly, my first thought was...surprised it is allowed at all...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator