Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Passenger

Default Cabo San Lucas & whales

Hi All!!
I found what looks to be a cruise I'd like to go on. Leaves San Diego on 12/26 and returns on 12/31. Anybody ever go on the whale excursion? Or know what the weather will be like. Will it be warm enough to swim in Cabo or even on the ship?

I'd appreciate any tips or info. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Admiral

The weather will be fairly nice and yes, swimming is a likely option. The weather will be a bit chilly in L.A. but will warm up the closer you get to Cabo.
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Default WHALE WATCH

THAT WOULD be breeding season and you MAY OR MAY NOT see them.we were on whale watch several years ago and didn't see a darn thing, but and a big BUT they were out there cavorting.. we are so used to going on whale watches to see the gentle giants that we were quite disappointed.. we have seen more off the coast of Maine and MA..
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Admiral

It is also calving season.

Didn't do a ship tour, but here are some whale watching/snorkeling/boozing pictures from February, 2008. Water was cool but bearable. It would be warmer in December.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/pride_0...snorkeling.htm

I called them humpbacks in the pictures, but who knows (not me) they could be gray whales.
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hey Parrot Mom! I went on many whale watching cruises from Gloucester with the Yankee Fleet. Great fun and always saw whales. sometimes they came so close to the boat we could have touched them.
We saw whales from Puerto Vallarta in February 2007.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Default GLOUCESTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
Hey Parrot Mom! I went on many whale watching cruises from Gloucester with the Yankee Fleet. Great fun and always saw whales. sometimes they came so close to the boat we could have touched them.
We saw whales from Puerto Vallarta in February 2007.

Laura
HI LAURA.. Gloucester is such a fun place. The very, very first whale watch we did was with an old crusty captain..in a now what I realize was a small boat (compared to the newer ones).. and he told us to bang the side of the boat.. WHO KNEW!! WE DID.. and a whale came right up to us to see what we were doing? What a thrill.. They are such gentle giants.. curious about us as we are about them.. In Cabo when we went out and the Captain asked how we liked the tour...I looked at him and told him to come to where we live.. Cape, Boston and I can show him whales... we never saw one.. What I think they do now in Mexico and Alaska is go out in huge rubber boats to get closer to the whales.. THAT would be illegal in New England.. We did for a while "Adopt" a whale..Stubb. he wintered off the coast of the Dominican Repubic..near Samana.. Now...there is a huge White Shark off the coast of the Cape...pretty darn dangerous.. feeding on the seals..
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Admiral

There are rules when whale watching, but the boat is irrelevant. You are supposed to keep a minimum distance from them, for example.

I've been whale watching from small boats in Hawaii, but this was our boat in Mexico - hardly a speed demon:

And a Mexican whale:

The boat in Alaska

And an Alaska whale(s):

The whales are seasonally in Mexico - it is not a myth.
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Default RULES OF WHALE WATCHING

First. our first whale watch was way,way before it became popular, probably at least thirty years ago... and the most important thing is...SOMEBODY TELL THE WHALES.. The big danger to whales now are the nylon ropes (a Right Whale has just been freed here in MA) and their running or being in the way of cruise ships..
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Admiral

By-catch is the number one danger followed by hunting.

You can make a reservation for a whale watching tour, but not for the whales themselves. Some do guarantee you will see at least one whale or receive a rebate of some of your cost.

Sometimes the whales just like to hide and count the number of tourists that can't understand why the whales aren't leaping into the boat 7x24.

Other times it is the weather or other factors.

But persistence pays off...

Old September 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Default SPECIALLY TRAINED PEOPLE

HERE in MA if a whale is tangled by p erhaps fishing ropes..there is a specially trained crew that goes out and risking their own lives tries to untie them....if they dont the poor things can die of starvation.. Don't think there is any guarantee given that you will see a whale.. the Coast Guard has just today tagged two white sharks off Chatham..where people still insist upon going in the waters.
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Here is an example of a tour company that guarantees you will see a whale. I don't know of any in Mexico, but also haven't looked.

http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sigh...ing/index.html

I wonder if Great Whites make good eating?
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
By-catch is the number one danger followed by hunting.

You can make a reservation for a whale watching tour, but not for the whales themselves. Some do guarantee you will see at least one whale or receive a rebate of some of your cost.

Sometimes the whales just like to hide and count the number of tourists that can't understand why the whales aren't leaping into the boat 7x24.

Other times it is the weather or other factors.

But persistence pays off...

Great whale pictures. Was this whale in Alaska or Mexico. We have taken whale watching tours in Feburary at Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and at the end of May in Icy Strait Point, Alaska. We were lucky to see whales both times. Cabo San Lucas tour had a whale guarantee that was in 2003 with a princess shore excurision.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser

Thank you.

This one was Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am pretty sure the peak Mexico whale season is January to March. They migrate north in the summer. You can even go whale watching from Catalina at certain times of the year. I love whale watching.