CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Guarantee Rooms (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/367704-guarantee-rooms.html)

cruise soon September 5th, 2009 03:25 AM

Guarantee Rooms

I was doing a pre-pricing check at Carnival. The quote came back with a guarantee room. Please explain how this works. We want to travel 12/2010. I put in OV. This was the fun saver fare. It appears to cost more if you request a specific cabin. Thanks for your help.

huffca September 5th, 2009 04:12 AM

Re: Guarantee Rooms

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise soon
I was doing a pre-pricing check at Carnival. The quote came back with a guarantee room. Please explain how this works. We want to travel 12/2010. I put in OV. This was the fun saver fare. It appears to cost more if you request a specific cabin. Thanks for your help.

Hi
With that type of cabin Carnival chooses for you. Most of the time you don't get your cabin assignment until you board. As I understand it you are guaranteed that cabin catagory or better.I'm picky and like to know where I'll be. But if you don't care that is the way to go.

Carol

Donna September 5th, 2009 05:34 AM

Yes, you can save a few bucks by booking this way, but you don't know what cabin you will actually have until shortly before the cruise. As long as you don't want a specific cabin, its a nice way to book. Just be sure if you want a balcony cabin, to book a balcony guarantee. I have heard that is possible to get an upgrade by booking this way, but I wouldn't count on it.

skymaster September 5th, 2009 08:50 AM

I book GTY most of the time, and it's been my experience that about 50% of the time I get exactly what I booked, ie: inside GTY, a decent inside cabin, about 45% of the time I get a 2 or 3 category upgrade, ie: booked an inside on Riviera deck, but got an inside, or ocean view on an upper deck, and the remaining 5% of the time I got what I considered a less than desirable inside cabin, ie: an inside cabin right at the bow, or last cabin in the stern that was noisy. In my opinion, it's well worth the risk to save the money, and besides that, it's fun, and allows more anticipation and excitement before the cruise.

"SKY"

P.S. Twice in many, many years of cruising, I've booked inside GTY, and got a BALCONY! Certainly not the norm, but it DOES happen.

cruise soon September 5th, 2009 09:56 AM

Thanks for the information. I won't book that way. I like midship in case the waters are rough.

getsemani1 September 7th, 2009 09:04 AM

Booking a GTY cabin is like booking a hotel room; you don't know what room you have until you get your keys.

Chris64 September 10th, 2009 11:23 AM

I only bookeed a guarantee once and it turned out great! Luck of the draw!

briguy September 10th, 2009 02:19 PM

Booking a guarantee is like a box of chocolates.. you never know what you are going to get. Now where have I heard that before?