Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Teenagers and the diningroom

I just returned from my fourth Carnival cruise, and I have to admit this was by far the best one yet. I cruised with my mom, my best friend and my three teenage children (17, 15, 14). I requested early seating and we were assigned a table for 6 which I loved because it was a table only for us.

We had the most delightful waiter from India and his helper, from Indonesia. My problem was the following. Out of 4 nights, three chairs were empty practically every evening. My best friend, my youngest daughter and I ate dinner in the diningroom every evening. My son never once stepped foot in the diningroom. He preferred eating hamburgers and pizza, my 17 year-old went the first evening and was out before her food got cold. She never returned. My mom only ate there once. For the most part, it was just three people at the table. My youngest daughter told me she liked eating "fancy food," and I did enjoy having a nice dinner with her and my friend. We quickly got used to all the pampering in the diningroom. My two oldest children didn't care for the "fancy food", as they call it.

Have any other cruisers gone through the same thing with their teenagers while cruising? My kids preferred eating from the buffet than having a full course dinner in the diningroom. But, then again, I hardly ever saw my kids during our trip. I told them they had to check with me every so often but that was kinda hard because we never knew where we would be at at a specific time.
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Hopefully your's weren't the ones running the corridors at all hours of the day and night, being obnoxious and rude. Chasing young women making cat calls etc.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nope, thankfully, my kids are very well mannered children, and although I can't vouch for what they did or did not do on the ship while out of my sight, I know my kids, and they are not unruly, and my hope is that they behaved with the same respect towards others as they do when at home and at school. I had a meeting with them and set some ground rules. They did check in but it was kinda difficult because we would be on different parts of the ship at different times. They spent their time at their clubs, so they told me.
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Admiral

When we took our two teenage nephews, they ate in the dining room with us every night. But, one of them also ate enough pizza to feed a large family every day. Don't know where he put it all, but I liked the fact that he still came with us every evening.
Marty
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Passenger

My first Carnival Cruise was 6 years ago, with myself, my 19 year old daughter and my 21 year old son. I only got them to the dining room one Captains dinner and only met up with them at the buffet dinner each night. Needless to say, I said I would not go on another cruise unless I had another adult to cruise with. Luckily I made some friends the first day and dined with them once and saw most of the shows with them. My kids said they just hung out and ate hamburgers and fries. My daughter and some of my friends are going on the Splendor in two weeks and cant wait. She is older now and says the dining room appeals to her. We will see.
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

Im 18 and I love going to dinner with my family at night. Yes I can see where they would be rushing to go and meet up with friends because that was always me... eat dinner as fast as possible see the show the waiters put on every night and then rush back to my room change clothes and get back to Club O2 each night. We also had the early seating.. The one thing I can say though your teenagers could have ordered a burger and fries, mac and cheese, chicken tenders and pizza just about every single night.. They do not have to order whats off the menu if it doesnt appeal to them. I set standards for myself though if my parents are paying for my vacation they deserve "family" time when I sit down and talk with them for at least 3-5 hours of the day. I generally eat breakfast and dinner both in the dining room with my parents each day. Port days I got off with my parents and done whatever they chose for the day. That is just my opinion. =)
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Beginner

Well, my daughter was very much like Ainsley.....during the day she could go and do her thing, but each night, she would eat dinner with us and we would discuss our day, what we liked, what we didnt like etc. I took my daughter on her first cruise when she was 12 and she is 19 now, she always did the same routine no matter what age.

And jlauntz, the question asked was about the dining room, not what anyones kids were doing. You obviously are a grumpy old jerk. To make an assumption about someone else's kids totally unrelated to the post.
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ainsely, that's exactly what my daughter did. She would dress up for dinner, enjoy quality time with me, but as soon as dinner was over she would rush to the cabin, change clothes and make a beeline to the club. She really enjoyed it. Her and my best friend got a kick of seeing me taking pics of all of our nicely presented meals.
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainsley
Im 18 and I love going to dinner with my family at night. Yes I can see where they would be rushing to go and meet up with friends because that was always me... eat dinner as fast as possible see the show the waiters put on every night and then rush back to my room change clothes and get back to Club O2 each night. We also had the early seating.. The one thing I can say though your teenagers could have ordered a burger and fries, mac and cheese, chicken tenders and pizza just about every single night.. They do not have to order whats off the menu if it doesnt appeal to them. I set standards for myself though if my parents are paying for my vacation they deserve "family" time when I sit down and talk with them for at least 3-5 hours of the day. I generally eat breakfast and dinner both in the dining room with my parents each day. Port days I got off with my parents and done whatever they chose for the day. That is just my opinion. =)
At the time we didn't know you could order burgers in the dining room and our joke now is when my daughter ordered off the menu at the captains dinner, the only thing we thought she might have liked was some sort of fowl. We dont remember exactly what it was, but it wasnt chicken. and it was presented with its leg up in the air and crossed. She kept cutting her up her meat but by the end of the dinner I realized she only ate the masted potoates under the bird and the vegtables. This is our 2nd cruise and we getting to know what to expect. Thanks for your opinion.
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Passenger

When my teenagers cruised with us, this was discussed before we left. The deal was during the day, you can go and do whatever you want (keeping acceptable behavior in mind at all times), however, YOU WILL JOIN US IN THE DINING ROOM FOR DINNER.

There was never a question about where they would eat dinner. They may have hurried through their meal and skipped dessert, but they were with us for most of the meal each evening, and without a single complaint.

I think if you set the ground rules/expectations right up front, when you are planning the cruise, there will not be any problems. These cruises were meant to be family vacations, on my dime, so I figured I should get some "family time" out of it.
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinlass
When my teenagers cruised with us, this was discussed before we left. The deal was during the day, you can go and do whatever you want (keeping acceptable behavior in mind at all times), however, YOU WILL JOIN US IN THE DINING ROOM FOR DINNER.

There was never a question about where they would eat dinner. They may have hurried through their meal and skipped dessert, but they were with us for most of the meal each evening, and without a single complaint.

I think if you set the ground rules/expectations right up front, when you are planning the cruise, there will not be any problems. These cruises were meant to be family vacations, on my dime, so I figured I should get some "family time" out of it.
I agree 100% with this post. I also liked Ainsley's response. When we take our adult children and our grandchilden we pay for the cruise for everyone. We have done this twice. We tell them ahead of time that we ask only that everyone have dinner together in the dining room. The rest of the time everyone is on their own. Even in port, we tell them what our plans are for the day and invite them to join us, but tell them they are welcome to make alternate plans if they want. This has always worked well for all of us. It gives us time together, without feeling as though we are joined at the hip for the entire trip/

In response to the post about misbehaved children, I agree that is was uncalled for. I have to say though that I grew up in a large family of 7 children, have 3 children and 7 grandchildren. My mother always said and I continue to say, you cannot expect your children to behave any differently in public than you teach them and allow them to behave at home.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

Im glad that was some help! =) I love taking pictures of the different things I order every single night. Then I get to look at them when I am home eating Mcdonalds hahahaha. but I just try and keep in mind that I didnt pay for the vacation so my parents deserve my time and respect at all times no matter what I want to do if my parents request something I do it. They do not give me a curfew or anything because they know where I am. CLUB O2! =)
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
First Mate

Tejita
I made no assumptions but merely a statement, If they weren't in the dining room obviously they were elsewhere. Of the 699 children on my last cruise, a number published by carnival the vast majority were well behaved, the ones who weren't well, you figure it out. By the way I don't consider myself " an old jerk". I do suppose the first amendment is still in effect. therefore I [/b]WILL[b] voice my opinions and make statements
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"