Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #181 (permalink)  
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
yesterday I got off of the Splendor in Long Beach, California. learned a lot about the west coast. won't be going back ever.

.
Nice,,,slamming the west coast when that has nothing to do with cruising or this thread.
My choice. I didn't care for the West Coast. I like Georgia. Didn't like South Beach, Miami. Like Puerto Vallarta, didn't like Cancun or Cozumel.

What is the difference?

I was being vague. Do you want specifics? For one, I was not sufficiently impressed with the West Coast to spend 5+ hours on a plane just to get to California. I hate flying. If it was closer I may pass thru quickly again but not if it means being stuck on a plane for 5 hours.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
  #182 (permalink)  
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'

On my recent Splendor cruise, a group of us were dancing and bopping to the music on the back lido deck. I (the only African American in the crowd) was keeping up with the beat but no one else was. Hahahahaha!! It was funny.

I finally asked one of the men. "What do you people hear?" Can you not hear the beat? We all fell out laughing. Several of them replied, "Oh we hear the beat. Aren't we keeping up?" It was priceless and the laugh value could not be measured. We must have laughed over that for a good 30 minutes. (Foo-Foo drinks were flowing )

I love those moments. Racial bonding at its best. Hahahaha.
I wonder how funny that would of been if it had been a group of "African Americans" dancing with one White guy and he said "What do YOU people hear"... I don't think there would have been much laughing...
It would have been just as funny and just as loving. My favorite dance club in NYC has a clientele that is almost exclusively Brown and Hispanic people (mostly brown). However, every week there is some "other" person or persons who will follow the music and come inside. I have seen white/middle eastern/asian men and women who just wander into this obviously grown up and peaceful dance club with great music. Trust me, they danced, laughed, embrace and are welcomed.

Wait, a couple of weeks ago, there was a young lady walking a tiny little dog down the street where this club is located. Cute little thing. As soon as the dog got to the front door of the club, he sat down. This little dog refused to move. I could swear his head was bopping to the music. When the lady tried to pull him by the leash, he kind of hid behind the bouncer's legs b/c he just wanted to chill in front of the club and listen to the music. She had to finally just pick him up b/c he was going nowhere. He was chillin'

Music is universal.

The unspoken rule is "if you care enough to check us out and hang with us, we care enough to welcome you in."

It is a wonderful thing to be able to enter a setting that is unfamaliar and enjoy it.

The pink elephant in the room (race) is actually quite friendly and inviting.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
  #183 (permalink)  
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM
bobsfamily's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: iopscusa
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'

On my recent Splendor cruise, a group of us were dancing and bopping to the music on the back lido deck. I (the only African American in the crowd) was keeping up with the beat but no one else was. Hahahahaha!! It was funny.

I finally asked one of the men. "What do you people hear?" Can you not hear the beat? :shock: We all fell out laughing. Several of them replied, "Oh we hear the beat. Aren't we keeping up?" It was priceless and the laugh value could not be measured. We must have laughed over that for a good 30 minutes. (Foo-Foo drinks were flowing :D )

I love those moments. Racial bonding at its best. Hahahaha.
I wonder how funny that would of been if it had been a group of "African Americans" dancing with one White guy and he said "What do YOU people hear"... I don't think there would have been much laughing...
It would have been just as funny and just as loving. My favorite dance club in NYC has a clientele that is almost exclusively Brown and Hispanic people (mostly brown). However, every week there is some "other" person or persons who will follow the music and come inside. I have seen white/middle eastern/asian men and women who just wander into this obviously grown up and peaceful dance club with great music. Trust me, they danced, laughed, embrace and are welcomed.
Nowhere did you say someone stopped dancing and ask "What do you people hear?" because if they had it would not be nice...

You really don't get it do you? The "you people" comment lumps an entire race... not nice in any way...
__________________
Dream - Nov. 2012 - Platinum cruise
  #184 (permalink)  
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Nowhere did you say someone stopped dancing and ask "What do you people hear?" because if they had it would not be nice...

You really don't get it do you? The "you people" comment lumps an entire race... not nice in any way...
The "you people" in my comment was meant to lump an entire race. That is what made it funny. That is because white people are stereotyped not to have any rhythm which is not always true (most times is though). It was meant just as I said it which is what made it so funny. It was one of those "I always wanted to ask this question" moment.

In fact, b4 I said that one of the men made a "I know I am dancing like a white boy" comment that we all found funny. Hence, my response was "what is it that you people hear? Do you not hear the beat? What beat are you dancing to?"

His response was, "Oh, I hear the beat. Aren't I keeping up?" which caused everyone around us to fall out laughing.

Bobsfamily: it is o.k. if something is said in innocence without any malice, it is o.k. Relax.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
  #185 (permalink)  
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
bobsfamily's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: iopscusa
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Nowhere did you say someone stopped dancing and ask "What do you people hear?" because if they had it would not be nice...

You really don't get it do you? The "you people" comment lumps an entire race... not nice in any way...
The "you people" in my comment was meant to lump an entire race. That is what made it funny. That is because white people are stereotyped not to have any rhythm which is not always true (most times is though). It was meant just as I said it which is what made it so funny. It was one of those "I always wanted to ask this question" moment.

In fact, b4 I said that one of the men made a "I know I am dancing like a white boy" comment that we all found funny. Hence, my response was "what is it that you people hear? Do you not hear the beat? What beat are you dancing to?"

His response was, "Oh, I hear the beat. Aren't I keeping up?" which caused everyone around us to fall out laughing.

Bobsfamily: it is o.k. if something is said in innocence without any malice, it is o.k. Relax.
I'm SO GLAD it's innocent to you... MAYBE, just maybe it would be fine the other way around but I am not sure. You seem to think that since it's OK to "lump" an entire race with a comment... I truly wonder if it was the opposite it would be handled the same. Why don't you take one of your white friends and get him to say that at your club... see what happens. That's if you can find one that would be willing to say it. Doubtful - as I said you really don't get it.
__________________
Dream - Nov. 2012 - Platinum cruise
  #186 (permalink)  
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Nowhere did you say someone stopped dancing and ask "What do you people hear?" because if they had it would not be nice...

You really don't get it do you? The "you people" comment lumps an entire race... not nice in any way...
The "you people" in my comment was meant to lump an entire race. That is what made it funny. That is because white people are stereotyped not to have any rhythm which is not always true (most times is though). It was meant just as I said it which is what made it so funny. It was one of those "I always wanted to ask this question" moment.

In fact, b4 I said that one of the men made a "I know I am dancing like a white boy" comment that we all found funny. Hence, my response was "what is it that you people hear? Do you not hear the beat? What beat are you dancing to?"

His response was, "Oh, I hear the beat. Aren't I keeping up?" which caused everyone around us to fall out laughing.

Bobsfamily: it is o.k. if something is said in innocence without any malice, it is o.k. Relax.
I'm SO GLAD it's innocent to you... MAYBE, just maybe it would be fine the other way around but I am not sure. You seem to think that since it's OK to "lump" an entire race with a comment... I truly wonder if it was the opposite it would be handled the same. Why don't you take one of your white friends and get him to say that at your club... see what happens. That's if you can find one that would be willing to say it. Doubtful - as I said you really don't get it.
In your tiny tiny world. . . .

Another scenario. . . . . . in a predominately brown dance club. In comes a couple of cute Asian (or white or middle eastern) chicks. They smile and just kind of stand around. After a while one of the young men asks them to dance. At first they say no. Too shy Finally the music gets to them and they venture out on the floor - just a little, trying to imitate some of the steps that the young brown/latino women are doing. This is the funniest sight and the evening's ice breaker. Immediately a couple of the brown/latino sisters go over and try to teach the Asian sisters to do the dance steps. The evening evolves into giggles, laughs, missteps and a whole lot of fun with the Asians showing some of their best moves while also learning some great new club steps.

This, Grasshopper, is a description of what you may find in a "predominately brown/latino" danceclub. None of the hang ups you seem to harbor. Sorry to disappoint you.
__________________
(cruzin' solo by design)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
  #187 (permalink)  
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

This has ventured WAY off stray from anything to do with cruising. Any futher barbs in the exchange should go to Private messages.
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
antigua, bikini, black, ccl, dispute, final, jailed, low, men, oosterdam, overcharge, performance, rise, stafford, taxi

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are cruisers also going to be jailed for a peck on the cheek? ToddDH Chit - Chat for Cruisers 12 April 5th, 2010 11:07 PM
Guilty pleas in Antigua taxi dispute jleq Carnival Cruise Lines 6 October 4th, 2009 02:59 PM
Caught between NCL & TA in fare dispute Magnolia Blossom Norwegian Cruise Lines 28 August 2nd, 2007 01:03 PM
Celebrity Dispute-Final Chapter PapBill Chit - Chat for Cruisers 8 January 20th, 2005 05:43 PM
Longshoremen dispute Trumpetlaw Ask CruiseMates Staff 6 October 2nd, 2002 08:49 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1