Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Default Six CCL pax jailed in taxi dispute

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Admiral

That was pretty stupid of them, on many levels. Unfortunately we'll see this story pop up at the anti-cruise websites as being Carnival's fault.
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Admiral

I remember having that discussion in Antigua. The government issues rates that each taxi driver should carry. The trick is understanding if the rate is a "from and to" rate of each way.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Another example of "buyer beware." In essence....go off on your own and you are quite possibly at the mercy of the local merchants etc., versus entertaining the idea of buying into a Carnival (or other cruiseline) sanctioned/contracted excursion.

This could have happened anywhere, worldwide....Best defense in our books is to (where possible) educate yourself about a geographic area and its unique requirements. This may (or may not) avoid problematic situations...and could possibly allow you to avoid "ripoff" artists, who key in on unsuspecting (naive) tourists.
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Admiral

You can't let your guard down when you travel whether it is to a foreign destination or in the U.S. The key is communication and knowledge when you are using different transportation modes in foreign ports, the fees charged for taxis/buses/vans I have used have been based on one way fares.

I think the better choice for these people would have been to cough up the extra $50, it would have saved them a lot more money than they're going to have to spend now, not to mention being stuck in a foreign port and at the mercy of local law enforcement.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Now lets see--- 6 people going it alone on a " tour " ending at a beach for $50.00 in a cab. That's a whopping $ 8.33 per person. Then another $ 8.33 per person back to the ship so we have a total of about $ 16.66 per person for a tour and they have a problem serious enough to land them in Jail and then have so little respect for local authority that they fight with the police ??
I doubt they will win this one. It sounds to me like they didn't take the time to find out exactly what they were getting for for $ 8.33 per person and decided they would pay the cabbie what THEY thought it was worth.
Name me somewhere in the U.S you can get a cab for 2 blocks for $ 8.33.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Admiral

This is an unfortunate situation but I have no sympathy for these people. Everything as described in the article was completely preventable. I suspect that alcohol and a loud mouth had much to do with the outcome. Regardless of what country you are in anytime you choose to fight with a Police Officer it is going to end badly for you.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Admiral

Morons. Pay the price and file a complaint later. More often than not, it is the ignorant tourist at fault.

If Carnival had arranged the tour, there would have been no dispute about price, although they would have gotten robbed upfront. Instead of $100 for 6, it more likely would have been $600 for six. The punchline is - in either case - it could well have been the same taxi driver!

I have been to Antigua before and loved it - nobody tried to rip me off. I'll be back!
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Old September 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Folks, believe it or not but there's a lot of people who for whatever reason do not think of these Islands as countries-- more like personal property of the cruise lines. Therefore, they expect the island residents to do exactly as they would like them to do, not stopping to think that they (the passengers) are in a foreign country and need to be aware of the local customs, laws and use a little common sense and courtesy.
If I understand it correctly these brilliant folks are from New York where you can't get in one door of a cab and out the other for $ 8.33 !!
I hope the authorities in Antigua doesn't fold up under a little pressure like the cruise lines do and let these ill mannered jokers off the hook so easily.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Admiral

One has to wonder if perhaps these tourist were paoli. Being all are in their 20's.
Party
Animals
Of
Low
Intellect

In my younger days I had "peers" who's only hobby was binge drinking,
loud music, & free sex. This is the spring break in Cancun stereotype who care not for cultural nuances.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
One has to wonder if perhaps these tourist were paoli. Being all are in their 20's.
Party
Animals
Of
Low
Intellect

loud music, & free sex. This is the spring break in Cancun stereotype who care not for cultural nuances.
..heck, I've got friends that do that NOW. Not me of course.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Party
Animals
Of
Low
Intellect

Paoli - that's in Southern Indiana. Not far from French Lick.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Party
Animals
Of
Low
Intellect

..heck, I've got friends that do that NOW. Not me of course.
Oh NOOO, not me...never was like that myself .

/ticker.png">
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Quote:
Party
Animals
Of
Low
Intellect

Paoli - that's in Southern Indiana. Not far from French Lick.
Yeah, I found that out and also there is a place in PA. Both named in honor of Pasquale Paoli a Corsican leader.
So me using this acronym I intend no offensive to IN, PA, Corsica, or the late great Pasquale.

/ticker.png">
Old September 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Just curious, but does anyone know the latest on the pax. from Carnival who created the stir in Antigua? If I read it correctly, they were supposed to go before the authorities on Wed. and Friday. Maybe there was something posted somewhere that I missed but I haven't seen anything for a couple of days.
I would guess that before it's over they will somehow blame Carnival for part of their plight and try to bring them into it for leaving them behind.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Just curious, but does anyone know the latest on the pax. from Carnival who created the stir in Antigua? If I read it correctly, they were supposed to go before the authorities on Wed. and Friday. Maybe there was something posted somewhere that I missed but I haven't seen anything for a couple of days.
I would guess that before it's over they will somehow blame Carnival for part of their plight and try to bring them into it for leaving them behind.
http://www.antiguasunonline.com/inde...ocal&Itemid=54

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Personally I hope they get to spend a few weeks in an Antigua jail. How stupid can anyone be to think a cabbie will take you one way for a price but bring you back for free. Then decided to fight poklce in a foriegn country, I'd say they were lucky they were where they were and not being the ugly toursits in say Germany or Russia.
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Admiral

As far as I can tell from the office taxi rates the cabbie changed them exactly what he should have.

http://www.antigua-barbuda.org/Offic...%20%202005.pdf

Old September 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Admiral

I saw one article where their lawyer said that while they could get 2 years in jail, he figured the likely result would be fines of a couple grand each.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Old September 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Default in jail

People have to learn , one outside of the continental united states
'YOU AINT GOT THE SAME RIGHTS" in some country you can sneese the wrong way and go to jail. i have been over seas and seen alot of stuff.
Maybe they can cool their heels in the hootsgow for a few days and learn this valuable tool.
Besides they blow the round trip cab fare in 20 min onn the ship for drinks
do they know where you can find sympathy ?????????
BOb
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have been following the this story in the news paper. Some of the above posts are not correct. First let me say that these people should not of attact the police. But, the taxi driver was a "moonlighter" and not an offical taxi driver. The parties and the taxi driver agreed on the return trip of $50.00, but on the way back the driver then said it would be $100.00. So the taxi driver who was not an offical driver was trying to rip them off and this made them unhappy. Anyway, the gov. knows that they have a taxi problum with "moonlighters" and need an overall rate plan for the island. You can follow the story in the island news paper
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Passenger

I think the moral to this story is.. Pay the 50.00 bucks and keep having a good time....
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Granduer of the seas 2005

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN
I have been following the this story in the news paper. Some of the above posts are not correct. First let me say that these people should not of attact the police. But, the taxi driver was a "moonlighter" and not an offical taxi driver. The parties and the taxi driver agreed on the return trip of $50.00, but on the way back the driver then said it would be $100.00. So the taxi driver who was not an offical driver was trying to rip them off and this made them unhappy. Anyway, the gov. knows that they have a taxi problum with "moonlighters" and need an overall rate plan for the island. You can follow the story in the island news paper
I thought the same driver took them to and from the beach. In Antiguan that is $50 come, $50 go. This is consistent with the government approved rates.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN
My question is,,if the cabby was a moonlighter and doing something illegal, or at least something the law doesn't condon,,why did he (the driver) go right to the police station? Was he not afraid of also getting in trouble?

Where are these losers (the cruisers) today anyhow?
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Admiral

The latest: http://www.antiguasunonline.com/news...html?showall=1

It seems their lawyer is desperately trying to use legal procedural motions instead of a real defense.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Answers to the above: Yes, the same driver (a moonlighter, not a licence taxi driver) took them to the beach for $50.00. No problum so far. At 1:30PM the same driver picked them up at the beach and headed to the ship. On the way to the ship he now told them that the $50 return trip would now be $100. Well, this was a price change after he had everybody in the van. The cruisers of course where not happy with this change because he had agreed to $50 like the trip out to the beach. Also you have to remember that this party is from rough and tumble New York. Anyway, they said that they were not going to pay the $100. So the moonlighter drove to the police station, not to the ship. Why you ask? Well in certain countrys the police may be your buddies if your are a fellow policeman or a local cab driver. If you are not a local you could be in trouble. So at the police station things got out of hand and they all landed up in jail. The court knows about the fare change and they have a very good lawyer. If it was me I guess I would be a chicken and pay the extra $50 and get out of there. But the cruisers had a point that the driver was doing a illegal act, but when in Rome I guess. The Gov. of Antigua knows that they have a problum with their tourst industry and that tourst are being taken, and they are trying to stop it, but a dollar is a dollar. So it goes on. You can follow the country news in the "Antigua Times" news paper on line. They may get off, but the lawyer is not cheap. Sorry for the spelling. OM
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Admiral

If that is true, the cabbie tried to charge them $150, then the passengers should have fled to the arms of the police. My son lives in Brooklyn and he believes these people are idiots.

Closed Thread