Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default For all cruisers leaving soon~

Packing angst?

What stage of packing are you?

The list is in hand.

Your suitcases are out.

Things are laid out in a spare room.

You are ironing and things are at the cleaners.

You could care less, your spouse handles this.

You are all packed.

You will buy all new clothes in Florida.

You are crying in the corner, overwhelmed by how fast the the cruise,
is coming up & hoping if, you wriggle your nose, it will all magically get done.

I had good intentions, and I refuse to answer, on the grounds it may incriminate me

Anything sound familiar?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Trip, referencing one point you made about buying clothes in Florida...just an FYI to any cruisers flying to Florida during the winter months expecting to find light, summery clothes and lots of bathing suits, not!

The stores in Florida are crazy, they are now full of heavy winter coats, sweaters, jeans, gloves, hats, etc., and the bathing suit department has shrunk to an eighth of its normal size. I live in Orlando and am going on a cruise in April and just finished my cruise shopping list which consisted of capris, short sleeve shirts, white shoes, sandals, bathing suit, etc., and just made it under the wire before all those light, colorful clothes suddenly disappeared and were replaced by heavy, dark, clothing, sturdy walking shoes and flannel nightgowns. I could never figure this out. If I needed to find a bathing suit during the winter months I had to travel to a specialty store near the ocean to find one. Visitors will still be able to find light weight clothing but the choices will be very limited compared to what the stores carry during the summer months.
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: For all cruisers leaving soon~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Packing angst?

What stage of packing are you?

The list is in hand.

Your suitcases are out.

Things are laid out in a spare room.

You are ironing and things are at the cleaners.

You could care less, your spouse handles this.

You are all packed.

You will buy all new clothes in Florida.

You are crying in the corner, overwhelmed by how fast the the cruise,
is coming up & hoping if, you wriggle your nose, it will all magically get done.

I had good intentions, and I refuse to answer, on the grounds it may incriminate me

Anything sound familiar?
ALL too familar ! As a matter of fact, you are several steps ahead of me.
By the way, I leave Saturday. Packing isn't my thing.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Oh and by the way, I'm scheduled to visit Massachusetts next week as a port of call. My shore excursion is Lexington & Concord.

/ticker.png">
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Me and the lovely Mrs. Jones leave in 11 days, and my "stuff" is ready, but not packed in the suitcase. I don't think she has even given it a second thought yet, as she isn't even unpacked from the last cruise. (only a week ago). I'll pack on the evening before we depart, and she'll probably start this weekend.

"SKY"
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Thoth, boy thats a hike for an excursion...my store had a 2nd store there for a while..this place is a joy for history buffs...enjoy your time in and around Bawston

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I find it funny how people in Florida wear heavier jackets and clothes. I have been to Florida in January and I am wearing shorts and a tank top and I am dying from the humidity!!!!!! I live in a COLD northern climate where it can get down to -43C (damn f--king cold in F) and an average winter day is in the -teens to -20's Celcius! Now that is worthy of heavier pants and a nice warm winter coat (that leaves you sweating cuz it is too warm when you go indoors for prolonged periods of time).

As to the intent of the post-I leave in FOUR days for LA and the jump on the Splendor in FIVE days!!! Packing of clothing that can be packed is 100% done, what is left is what I am wearing right now. Last load of laundry will be Thursday night and Friday morning. The health/beauty is packed and there is around 25% that needs to be packed on Friday or when I get up and get ready to leave for the airport!

I do not worry as I always get myself prepared and ready to go two weeks in advance and spend the last few days just looking around at anything I forgot...

My motto is be prepared two weeks in advance!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
First Mate

We drive to Ft Lauderdale Friday night for Saturday's cruise on Carnival Freedom. Won't be long now.

Just got the clothes from the dry cleaners, printed the list out and thinking about what to pack. Probably start tomorrow!!

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003, 2008
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Liberty 2008, 2013
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014
Carnival Sensation - November 2014
Carnival Breeze - September 2015

Old September 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Captain

I sail on the 20th and havent done a single thing in preparation. No lists, packing, checking closets etc. Also havent printed boarding passes or reviewed my docs. I have done my FunPass however. I wont get serious until about 4 days prior maybe less. This last minute thing hasnt failed me yet and I dont expect it to now!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Thoth, boy thats a hike for an excursion...my store had a 2nd store there for a while..this place is a joy for history buffs...enjoy your time in and around Bawston
thanks, I look forward to seeing Bawston. I guess Carnival will be the hiking since it's their tour, but I'll wear good walking shoes.
The weather is suppose to be in the 70's . That I can deal with.
It was hard selecting one shore excursion, being so many things sounded great.

/ticker.png">
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I find it funny how people in Florida wear heavier jackets and clothes. I have been to Florida in January and I am wearing shorts and a tank top and I am dying from the humidity!!!!!! I live in a COLD northern climate where it can get down to -43C (damn f--king cold in F) and an average winter day is in the -teens to -20's Celcius! Now that is worthy of heavier pants and a nice warm winter coat (that leaves you sweating cuz it is too warm when you go indoors for prolonged periods of time).
How can people live in that weather? Isn't it basic physics that water freezes at 0* C or 32*F ? And our bodies are mostly water.
So one doesn't simply "get used to it".
One can't cover all skin can you?

/ticker.png">
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Here's my packing priority. Went to LA County Fair Saturday for fun and wine tasting. We wanted to bring wine onboard (we are generally not wine drinkers), but cannot find the wines we liked at any store. Well I have 12 days to find the wine before be board Splendor.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Rose is correct the stores are CRAZY during the winter months. I wear the same style clothes all year round. The stores offer hot heavy jackets, sweathers and wool items when its still 80 degrees outside. Winter months I throw on a light jacket. It does get chilly some months but I still wear light clothes. Buy your cruise wear during the spring and summer back home and just put it in a closet for when you go on your cruise and forget buying clothes in Florida during the winter for most of the stores carry the same heavy winter clothes you will find in your home state.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Admiral

I often don't unpack between cruises, but since my last cruise was to Alaska and my next is to Europe, I will be forced to do some reconciliation.
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

All of the above

Leaving in 12 days
am normally fully packed by now
I do ALL the packing husband justs questions what I packed him
I wrote a list yesterday, will probably lose it before I pack
am always stressed out on how much clothing to bring
always say next year I'll pack lighter and don't
thank GOD I'm not a clothes horse or we'd have way too many clothes
swore I'd put my shorts in the suitcase last and forgot to. Shorts on the ship were $35. Washed the 2 I had placed in there several times in order to keep wearing them

Have no spare room to layout suitcase right now as we are remodeling and things are stuffed EVERYWHERE

know that anyone who regularly travels for business is laughing their butts off at us

love vacation and will take the stress of packing any time!!!
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Ah, but traveling for business is not the same at all. I used to do quite a bit of that and packing was just part of the job. Packing for a cruise, on the other hand, is something I actually enjoy. I start well in advance and try to visualize each item's use as I choose it...or not...to go in the suitcase
Re. buying summer clothes here in Fl. The problem is that most stores are either part of a chain or owned by one. And most of the buying for stocking the stores is done out of New York. So, sadly, every store in every area gets basically the same stock depending on time of year. It may seem to make sense to the bean counters, but they would make more money tailoring inventory to climate a tad better.
Marty
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Captain

I don't leave for my cruise until Jan. but have already been thinking about what I want to take. We will soon be putting the summer clothing away and bringing out the winter stuff I plan on putting the summer items we will be taking with us in our big suitcase, store it back in the closet. Then around the end of Dec. I'll bring it out, re-wash it all and begin packing. We will be flying so I will need to keep the luggage count down to keep from paying extra. I should be ok in this area. I've learned that I don't need everything in my closet and can get by with a lot less.

Old September 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Joko Joan
Default Stage of Packing

We will leave Saturday (2 more days!!) and I have a packing protocol: First - take out the clothes I would like to take; (2) second week, Halve that pile; (3) take only what will fit in the suitcase.

This year the problem arose when I purchased a new set of luggage with (8) pcs. This brought me to the new problem of choosing the right size. I wound up playing musical suitcases to find the right fit. Funny, I didn't have any problem when I only had the one suitcase . . .

Future Cruises:
9/12/09 - Carnival Glory
11/21/09 - Carnival Freedom
12/19/09 - Holland America's Eurodam
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Toth--I have lived in the same city my whole life and when the temp drops to the -30's Celcius we just layer our clothes to stay warm. In parts of Canada the temp can drop and stay cold for weeks or months on end. After a few weeks of temps in the -20's Celcius range you get used to it. Now, when we have three days of -40 to -43 Celcius you make sure you have an extra layer on and only stay out as long as you need, cuz dang, it is cold. Everyone owns gloves, scarf, and perhaps earmuffs to keep the wind and chill out.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Toth--I have lived in the same city my whole life and when the temp drops to the -30's Celcius we just layer our clothes to stay warm. In parts of Canada the temp can drop and stay cold for weeks or months on end. After a few weeks of temps in the -20's Celcius range you get used to it. Now, when we have three days of -40 to -43 Celcius you make sure you have an extra layer on and only stay out as long as you need, cuz dang, it is cold. Everyone owns gloves, scarf, and perhaps earmuffs to keep the wind and chill out.
It must an experience to take a Caribbean cruise in the winter....to go from very cold to very warm, back to very cold.
This time next year I'll most likely be visiting Alberta. Glacier-Waterton Lakes National Park , Calgary, and Banff....That's the plan. The weather IS nice this time of year right ?

/ticker.png">
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:
How can people live in that weather? Isn't it basic physics that water freezes at 0* C or 32*F ? And our bodies are mostly water.
I'm a California girl, I have never had to warm up my car before driving. I have never been snowed in. I have never worried about getting lost in the snow and dying of exposure. When it does snow here once every 10 years or so. We are so excited, it melts by noon. Shoot right now it's 10:30PM and 73 F/23 C degrees. I will freely admit I'm a weather wuss, I don't know how you guys can go through winter without the sun.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmaker
Here's my packing priority. Went to LA County Fair Saturday for fun and wine tasting. We wanted to bring wine onboard (we are generally not wine drinkers), but cannot find the wines we liked at any store. Well I have 12 days to find the wine before be board Splendor.
There is a wonderful wine store in Costa Mesa called Hi-Time Wine Cellars. My hubby and me went down there about 6 months ago. They have a large selection. I hope that helps.

Hi-Time Wine Cellars
250 Ogle Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Toll Free - 800.331.3005
Local - 949.650.8463

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Admiral

The Christmas before Katrina (2004) it snowed in New Orleans on Christmas Day...having moved here from the north, I still had my snowblower in the garage, so I had lots of fun 'plowing out' my neighbors driveway

Old September 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Captain

Trip, maybe you should add one:

"Talking about pulling the suitcases down..." !

We board the ship in 2-weeks...the Delseys have got to come down from the attic this weekend!

Safe travels!
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i'm not leaving until may but i usually pack the night before i go anywhere~

my mediterannean cruise and my halloween cruise last year have been about the only exceptions....

i like packing late~makes me more excited lol!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Admiral

I'm also a last minute packer. Most of the time we drive to port, so no weight restictions on our bags. But my hubby nags about my overpacking. If I wait until the last minutes I can sneak in some extra pairs of shoes without him noticing.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

My ship sails tomorrow !!!! I'm packing and ready !

/ticker.png">
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Thoth
It's all relative. I lived in Alabama for four years and I found it miserable in the summer with the heat and humidity.

You can always put on more clothes but there is a limit to the amount you can take off. In the South you go from you air conditioned office to your air conditioned car and into your air conditioned home.

In the north, in the Winter, you go from your heated office to your heated car and into your heated home.

You do get "used" to it to a point. You learn not to leave bare skin exposed in "EXTREME" cold and a 40 degree day in January is like summer and you run around with no jacket and aren't even cold.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Thoth
It's all relative. I lived in Alabama for four years and I found it miserable in the summer with the heat and humidity.

You can always put on more clothes but there is a limit to the amount you can take off. In the South you go from you air conditioned office to your air conditioned car and into your air conditioned home.

In the north, in the Winter, you go from your heated office to your heated car and into your heated home.

You do get "used" to it to a point. You learn not to leave bare skin exposed in "EXTREME" cold and a 40 degree day in January is like summer and you run around with no jacket and aren't even cold.

Take care,
Mike
thanks ! I'll resume conversation with everyone after I return. Speaking of North, my cruise to New England/Canada leaves tomorrow.
Speak with y'all later !!!

/ticker.png">
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
First Mate

Well, the suitcases are packed, loading up the car now!!! Leaving within the half hour heading to Ft Lauderdale. It's finally time to go. Yea!!

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003, 2008
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Liberty 2008, 2013
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014