Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to purpledevilduck
Default Breakfest in the Dinning Room

I have a question, on my first cruise I did not eat in the dining room for breakfast, is there an assigned times like with dinner? Or is that they sit you as you come in?
Carnival Valor Sept/Oct 2007
Carnival Freedom Jan 2010
Carnival Liberty Feb 2013

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
First Mate

They will seat you as you come in, Nice break from the Lido breakfast buffet. I usually try to eat in the dining room several times as it prevents me from overindulging at the buffet . Enjoy!

Need some cruise help?
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Passenger

They generally will seat you with other passengers... It is a good way to meet other cruisers.... If you prefer they will sit you by yourself.

Carnival Celebration 09/06/2004
Carnival Elation 08/28/2005
Carnival Conquest 03/05/2006
Carnival Glory 10/07/2006
Carnival Conquest 04/22/2007
Carnival Ecstasy 11/26/2007
Carnival Glory 08/16/2008
Carnival Conquest 12/14/2008
Carnival Ecstasy 04/18/09
Back To Back
Carnival Ecstasy 04/23/09
Carnival Triumph 04/10/10
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its actually quite nice to have breakfast in the dining room at least once during the cruise. Like the previous poster mentioned, you can meet new people and share cruise stories, etc. Its also nice to be waited on too. Breakfast is usually served quickly, nothing like dinner in the dining room.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Captain

Yep, I try to do at least one breakfast in the DR. Its quiet and you dont hear the cattle like you do in the buffet area. I like the pace of breakfast and you do get to meet people in a nice informal setting.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I didn't enjoy it my food was always cold and I felt more rushed like they wanted to clean up the dining room fast. I did enjoy the table talk though.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Admiral

If something is wrong with my food, I let them know sooner rather than later. Send it back.

If the food is cold, ask for a table closer to the kitchen.

If the service is slow, ask for a table closer to your waiter.

Etc., etc., etc...
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

I always eat breakfast and almost all my meals in the dining room. I’m not a big fan of buffets. There is just something about the idea of people sneezing into there hands then handling the serving utensils that I will have to use after them, that turns me off of any buffet.
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

We too, always eat in the dining room if it's open. (The only time it isn't normally open is when in port). We like being waited on, and also find that we don't eat as much as we do when at the buffet. (Got to try everything you know.)

"SKY"
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Admiral

One of the dining rooms is always open for breakfast. The hours vary depending on if it is a port or sea, but one is open. The hours are posted in the Capers and the maitre d' usually announces the night before at dinner.

Often the main dining rooms are closed on Port days, depending on the port arrival/departure times.
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
One of the dining rooms is always open for breakfast. The hours vary depending on if it is a port or sea, but one is open. The hours are posted in the Capers and the maitre d' usually announces the night before at dinner.

Often the main dining rooms are closed on Port days, depending on the port arrival/departure times.
True, the dining room is open for breakfast, but not for lunch when in port. I should have been more specific about that. Sorry.

"SKY"
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM
First Mate

Our next cruise will be number 11 for us and we have never had breakfast in the dinning room. After seeing this post the wife has already informed me that we will be eating breakfast in the dinning room at some point on our next cruise. Man I didn't even get a chance to say "Yes dear"

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

The Dining room Breakfast Menu is the first one on this page:
http://www.zydecocruiser.com/splendor09/menus/menus.htm

It hasn't changed in a few years.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Eating in the formal dining room for breakfast is a wonderful experience. Unlike one other poster, all my food arrives hot and at the same time unlike eating at the buffet where some or all of your food is cold by the time you sit down. You don't have to keep jumping up and down refilling your coffee or tea, it's quiet and relaxing, a good way to start your day. If you don't want to sit with a group of strangers, ask for a table size for your group or if there are only two of you, request a table for two, they will happily accommodate you.

The dining room also offers items on the menu that you will not see at the buffet, i.e., baked apples (yum), smoked salmon, eggs Benedict, poached eggs, turkey bacon and corned beef hash made from the corned beef offered in the deli restaurant (order at least two of these, portions are small and it's so good). As with any other food items offered in the formal dining rooms, you can order as much as you want of any items offered.

There are days where you are in a rush to get off the ship but save at least one morning to enjoy a relaxing breakfast in the formal dining room, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to punk

We had never eaten in the dining room for breakfast until our last cruise on the very last day - we had such a great time with our waiter, asst waiter and hostess, that we bought them several extra gifts in addition to what we had already tipped them on our S&S card, so we went to breakfast while waiting to disembark for the sole purpose of giving them their gifts.
WELL... after that wonderful dining experience we agreed we would make it a point to have at least TWO meals in the dining room (fun day at sea - since port days sometimes begin very early)!
I highly recommend it!!
October 2006 Carnival Miracle
October 2009 Carnival Legend
[/
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
First Mate

I eat all days at sea in the dining in order to avoid the cattle rush in the Lido and the search for a table during the critical hours. In addition it is nice having someone serve me in a professional manner filling up the half empty coffee cup and never feeling rushed.As another posted you tend to eat more reasonably size portions rather than feeling you missed something in the Lido line.There are also items that you can order not available in Lido.I enjoy meeting new people and this also gives me that chance. To each his own and that is what is great about cruising.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

My first cruise I also always ate breakfast at the buffet because my sister said it was much easier and more convenient. Well, then my husband and zi went on a cruise and decided to try the dining room, and now we ALWAYS eat breakfast there. I am on vacation and figure I deserve to be waited on! Plus, when we take the kids it's so much easier to just sit down and order rather than finding a table open that's big enough for all of us, standing in line, trying to keep an eye on the kids - too much stress!!! The funniest was the first morning when the boys ordered fruit loops as a starter then went on to order pancakes! Would you say they're spoiled?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I like to divide my mornings between the MDR and the buffet. I will always order pancakes, at least once, during the cruise. I have my own "Pancake Contest" between ships. So far the Azamara Journey is number 1 but my first Pride cruise, last November, is a close second.

I love eating in the MDR. It is a much less hurried experience than the buffet and the food is usually a little better but not always.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Breakfest in the Dinning Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledevilduck
I have a question, on my first cruise I did not eat in the dining room for breakfast, is there an assigned times like with dinner? Or is that they sit you as you come in?
You should try lunch in the dining room . We quite enjoyed it.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
First Mate

We just returned from the Carnival Freedom cruise a day ago and wanted to eat in the dining room, but never managed to get down there in time. The serving time was 6:00 am - 10:00 and we normally headed for breakfast just a few minutes before 10:00. We didn't want to go down to the dining room at the last minute to eat. That probably would make the cooks & waiters very unhappy, just before close. I was told by the Assistant Matradee that you could get eggs benedict along with the omelets and all the other types of eggs.

At the Lido deck, there was always a long line for the omelets and then you had to get in the other line for sausage, bacon, pancakes, etc.. Not a good set-up.

At the main dining room, you could order exactly what you want and have it delivered. How nice!!!!

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Carnival Liberty - Sept 2013
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014

Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

NOt to hijack this thread,,,but for cabin breakfast, it's just rolls and coffee, right? My wife and I are early, but slow, risers.

Some of you may have read this is my first Carnival cruise, I have done 4 on HAL. On HAL you can get almost a full breakfast to your cabin, but it is my understading not so on Carnival.

On with this thread, on HAL I had dinning room breakfast once and I agree with everyones take. It is the best way, with the service and all. I like dining room lunch too on sea days. Heck, I just prefer the dining room over the Lidos for all meals. The only time I do the Lido is that first embark day. I am going to get every meal I can when I am on a cruise!
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
NOt to hijack this thread,,,but for cabin breakfast, it's just rolls and coffee, right?
Pretty much true. Fruit, juices, cold cereals, breads, coffee, tea. However they do have smoked salmon as an option, along with bagels and cream cheese so it is possible to have a NYC style nosh for breakfast in the cabin.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

The Carnival website clearly states open seating for breakfast and lunch, with assigned times for dinner.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Din...formation.aspx
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
NOt to hijack this thread,,,but for cabin breakfast, it's just rolls and coffee, right?
Pretty much true. Fruit, juices, cold cereals, breads, coffee, tea. However they do have smoked salmon as an option, along with bagels and cream cheese so it is possible to have a NYC style nosh for breakfast in the cabin.
But rolls and milk too,,yes???

If so I am set because I'll have two breakfasts, light cabin breakfast followed by dining room breakfast,,,,done it before I can do it again !
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Look at zydeco's website for a recent list of menus. http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Carniva...more_menus.htm
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Beginner

you may come and go as you like . Food and service are great
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

I ate breakfast in the diningroom for the first time since I started cruising 7 years ago. I didn't really enjoy it, but my mom and my best friend were hooked. As as matter of fact, they had breakfast in the diningroom the following day while I went to the buffet line.

Although eating breakfast in the diningroom is relaxing, I prefer the hustle and bustle on the lido deck. There's much more variety up on deck than what the diningroom offers.
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Admiral

I think it is really a matter of personal preference though I also think people new to cruising should try both to get a feel for it. I also think if you are in port early enough, grab breakfast in port so that you can sample the local fare.
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Familiar Face

We had never eaten breakfast in the dining room untill our last cruise. We enjoyed it very much. We met some nice people that we kept running into. So on our Dream cruise we will probably do dining room a couple of times.

2005 Carnival Fantasy
2007 Carnival Sensation
2008 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas
2010 Carnival Dream
2012 Carnival Freedom
2012 Carnival Sensation
2012 Princess Caribbean Princess
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I always enjoy breakfast in the dining room. I enjoy meeting new people.I also like the quieter slower atmosphere rather than the noisy rush on lido deck.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain