Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Your 1st, cruise, and your last cruise....

How have you, as a cruiser, changed since you booked your first cruise?
For those of us who first booked a cruise manys ago, the differences are vast, to be sure.....who could know that when I first sailed in 1990, on the Celebration, that ships could get any bigger? When the Dream comes out, it could probably put the Mardi Gras, in it's belly

Some lines have bowling alleys, rock climbing walls, flow riders, ice skating rinks and central parks....none of us could ever imagine, what was to come..."maybe" there was a miniature golf course, on some ships. back in the day.

Pictures were probably under $10.00, there were no specialty restaurants, coffee bars and the like......we cruised for the ship, the feeling of being at sea, which somehow seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle of big, bigger, and biggest.

I love to cruise, and given the right set of circumstances, will cruise the biggins Looking back at my photos of the olden days, there does seem to an innocence to the ships, that is no longer...

So, does all the "new" on the ships now appeal to your sense of aventure while cruising, or do you dislike all the "extra" charges..??Simple or newfangled, does this influence your ship choice?...do you feel like you are paying for something you many not even use in your cruise?

Your first cruise, and your last..which was better, and why?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
First Mate

My first cruise on Carnival was on the Mardi Gras at spring vacation and can remember college kids packing on the beer and total parties for the entire time. Even had beer drinking contests in which I still have my trophy for drinking the fastest with a female partner.Prices for drinks were very reasonable matching duty free which the cruise line buys at with drinks at $1.00 and foreign beer at .50. Our most recent cruise was on the Splendor 49 days around South America and now the cruise lines have found numerous ways to achieve additional revenue with drinks being a major contributor.Shore excursions were way over priced and we were able to book with those cruisers from another board at less than half for the same sites.Looking at the RCCL alternative restaurants it would appear that numerous dining venues will have an additional charge.In summary the biggest change thru the years has come with the numerous additional fees once aboard and some will say you do not have to partake however you are then missing some very good restaurants etc.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Passenger

My first cruise was in '92 on RCCL, a 3 night to the Bahamas. What fun we had! A steel drum band playing island songs by the pool as we were leaving Miami and beginning our cruise; a cookout and buffet one night under a star-filled night; midnight buffet (remember those?).

Since then, my cruiseline has been Carnival, no particular reason why. Took my next cruise with them and was pleased, so I've booked with them ever since. Call me a creature of habit......
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Admiral

My first was in 1982 on the NCL Norway. At the time, it was the biggest cruise ship out there. Which would seem tiny today! I then went on many cruises on the ships that had 750-800 pax. As far as the ships themselves go, I heavily prefer those. I liked feeling the ocean and you ran into many people many times, so the atmosphere was a lot friendlier. Strangers would share a table on the Lido, things like that.
BUT, today's choices of destinations is way above those old days. The ports that I loved best back then are now so crowded that I sometimes don't bother getting off the ship. But, there are also new itineraries that have taken me to places I never expected to get to see. So, like most things in life, in my book, there are good and bad changes that have happened.
Marty
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Passenger

Wow! That was so long ago but it seem like yesterday. My first cruise RCCL Song of Norway 23,000 gross tons out of San Juan and my wife thought it was the biggest ship ever. No Sign and Sail just a paper I.D. cards. Everything was bolted down including the beds, no stabilizers. Waiting in line to purchase your tours. Meeting custom agents in the theater to declare your purchases. No waiting in the restaurant for deembarkation calls. Paying with cash. Not many balcony rooms at least affordable one's. Small cozy dinning rooms. No T.V's in the some rooms just radios. At the time I had my business and had to contact by using the ship to shore phone @ $7.00 per min. Man has it changed just from a security standpoint with metal detector, picture I.D. and carry-ons scanning. Also with computer rooms, cell phone, humongus ships, a sea of people coming on the ship and going off, lots more to do. Then and now" IT'S THE GREATEST VACATION ON EARTH."

Song of Norway RCCL 1988
Tropicale CCL 1989
Majesty of the Sea RCCL 1992&1993
Festval CCL 1994
Soverign of the Sea RCCL 1995&1996
Dawn NCL 1996
Century Celebrity CL 1997
Imagination CCL 1998
Enchantment of the Sea RCCL 1999
Monarch of hte Sea RCCL 2000
Voyager of the Sea RCCL 2001
Adventure of the Sea RCCL 2002