Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default Jumping Ship from RCI to Carnival - convince me

We have gone on two Carnival cruises over the years. We then went on three Royal Carribean cruises. WE are "jumping ship" and booking the Carnival Splendor for December 20th. Looking for a convincing argument that I am doing the right thing - besides price!
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Admiral

The lido deck pool on Splendor has a retractable roof so even if it's rainning you can still swim. Plus there is an adult only area. I really like Carnival's food, but I haven't cruise RCI since 1994 so I can't compare the two. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

I guess if you dont think you are doing the right thing.. well maybe you shouldn't do it. My telling you that Carnival is the best cruise line, the best food, the best bang for your buck....Well thats how I feel but maybe you wont feel that way. Our group loves Carnival for so many reasons. Hope you have a great cruise and dont spend all your time looking for reasons just have a fun time...
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Familiar Face

I know it isn't "the best" cruise line. The ship sounds interesting and Carnival may have changed from the past. Obviously we are giving them a chance again. Not looking for an endorsement only differences between the two and great experiences.
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Admiral

The Splendor has the Spa Cabins (interior and Balcony) that we have cruised in.

If you are a nonsmoker, it would help since smoking is not allowed in the Spa Cabin or on the Spa Balconies.

I am NOT a Spa person, but I loved the Thalasso Pool and Relaxation Rooms so much...that we booked a Spa cabin on the Dream.

Also (again if you are a smoker) note that there is no smoking allowed anywhere on Lido (deck 9) because the retractable roof makes 98% of it an "interior space". Smoking is allowed on the Starboard side of decks 10 and 11.

These are things that are specific to the Splendor. A friend of mine just got a deal on a Spa Interior cabin for the 7 day.....so there are some good deals out there now if you are flexible in your travel time.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh
I know it isn't "the best" cruise line. The ship sounds interesting and Carnival may have changed from the past. Obviously we are giving them a chance again. Not looking for an endorsement only differences between the two and great experiences.
What RCI ships have you cruised on? I think that makes a difference on how you feel about the Splendor. Splendor is a new ship, but it's not as big as the Freedom class ships and doesn't have the ice rink, rock climbing wall, and Johnny Rockets like RCI Freedom class ships have. However, on Carnival you are allow to bring a bottle of wine per person over 21 years old. They do charge a corkage fee if you open it in the dining room.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Admiral

As far as comparing the "smaller" RCI ships with Carnivals Splendor, Spirit, or Conquest class ships. I'd personally prefer the Carnival ships by a mile! I think the food is much better on Carnival, the service at very least on a par, and the entertainment better on Carnival. The cabins overall, are larger on Carnival, not to mention that they do indeed have 24X7 soft serve and frozen yogurt! When you take all that into consideration, along with the fact that they are about 25% less expensive,,,,it's a "no brainer".

"SKY"
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Passenger

Well here I go again at the risk of being shot down. I've been cruising for about 20 years and I witnessed both cruise line pass and present. There is one thing I have noticed basically both cruiselines have not change much mostly the ships have. If you like a carnival circus atmosphere, dark ships but descent service and food with very little to do CCL is your cruiseline. But if you like very classy ships nice decor good food great service, innovation, great shows ( including ice shows ) and I won't get into rock climbing walls, rollerblading, minature golf, Johnny Rockets, running track,surfing (wave rider) and the great great Grand Prominade. Check RCCL website for more info on the the selection of ships. One other thing compare the prices on CCL and RCCL ( not including Oasis and Allure)you will find the prices are not that different when you compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Research, Research, Research. Good Luck and happy cruising.

Song of Norway RCCL 1988
Tropicale CCL 1989
Majesty of the Sea RCCL 1992&1993
Festval CCL 1994
Soverign of the Sea RCCL 1995&1996
Dawn NCL 1996
Century Celebrity CL 1997
Imagination CCL 1998
Enchantment of the Sea RCCL 1999
Monarch of hte Sea RCCL 2000
Voyager of the Sea RCCL 2001
Adventure of the Sea RCCL 2002
Explorer of the Sea RCCL 2003
Navigator of the Sea RCCL 2006
Mariner of the Sea RCCL 2008
Glory CCL 2009
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Admiral

I have to disagree with the statement that cruise lines have not changed much. I think that Carnival has changed a lot, and for the better. I used to be a RCCL fan, but I felt that they started putting too much money into fancier ships and less into food, service, and the standard entertainment. NCL has probably changed the most, with all of their alternative dining options.
Marty
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Carnival must be doing something right. they are the "most popular cruise line in the world" Carnival also has the largest fleet of ships to choose from. I really enjoy every cruise I have had with Carnival. Always great food and service and lots of fun. What's not tolove?

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
Carnival must be doing something right. they are the "most popular cruise line in the world" Carnival also has the largest fleet of ships to choose from. I really enjoy every cruise I have had with Carnival. Always great food and service and lots of fun. What's not tolove?

Laura
Being the most popular or the largest does not mean you are the best. Also check out Celebrity as well for perfection in cruising. It's also about what you're looking for in cruising. If you are active into fun, sports and exercise than RCCL is your cruise line. But if you are into relaxing, lying around and good ports of call with the basics in cruising than CCL is the cruiseline. Also I find the food and service on both cruiseline about the same. If you want talk about the best food this would be Celebrity. Happy cruising.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Familiar Face

Since you've been on both lines already, just make the decision on your own. I have personally been on CCL, NCL and RCI all three has changed over the years. After comparing all we've taken the last to on Carnival and have another booked in March 2010 on the Triumph. My personal preference is Carnival, you are going to get all different types of answers. Please make the decision on your own that way you'll feel much better knowing it was your choice not someone else's. Happy Sailing