Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Admiral

[quote="IBCRUZIN'"
The general concensus in Antigua is that Carnival pulled the Victory as a direct result of this incident with the 6 passengers. Other islands have special police or liaisons in place to handle disputes that arise involving cruise passengers with the idea that if at all possible get those passengers back to the ship.
[/quote]

Carnival may be using the incident to get something they want - cruise lines do play hardball to get what they want. But they didn't pull out because of it.

As for special police, I know if you have a rental car accident in Cozumel, even with insurance, they take you to the police station until it is sorted out. It is against the law to have an accident and they don't care what nationality you are.
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

[quote=zydecocruiser]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "IBCRUZIN'"
The general concensus in Antigua is that Carnival pulled the Victory as a direct result of this incident with the 6 passengers. Other islands have special police or liaisons in place to handle disputes that arise involving cruise passengers with the idea that if at all possible get those passengers back to the ship.
[/quote

Carnival may be using the incident to get something they want - cruise lines do play hardball to get what they want. But they didn't pull out because of it.

As for special police, I know if you have a rental car accident in Cozumel, even with insurance, they take you to the police station until it is sorted out. It is against the law to have an accident and they don't care what nationality you are.
I am only going by what is being reported in the news in Antigua. Jamaica and several other islands have special police whose job it is to sort out incidents involving cruise passengers.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Sorry - didn't mean to be picking on you.

I think in Jamaica those special police are especially found of pictures of dead presidents.
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
Sorry - didn't mean to be picking on you.

I think in Jamaica those special police are especially found of pictures of dead presidents.
Hahahaha no problem

I believe the dead presidents are always helpful.

The general though amount bloggers is that Carnival is NOT pulling the ship b/cof the 6 young people. However, the general though in Antigua is that the situation with the young people was the straw that broke the camel's back. Really doesn't matter why. The message has hit home to the locals that tourist/cruisers are not fair game. They will for a time police themselves.

I would not want to be the cabbie that was at the heart of all of this. The police are angry with him, his fellow cabbies are very angry with him. The other merchants and pier peddlers are angry with him. The government is angry with him. Carnival is angry with him. The six passengers are angry with him (and they can fight!!) I don't know but his mama may even be angry with him. He is hardpressed to find a friend right about now.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Fidel Castro may be against it, but Raoul Castro seems to be in favor of it. Unfortunately, cruisers do seem to forget that they are a guest in a foreign nation for the day. As such, they should show appropriate courtesy like cleaning up after themselves.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you people want all of the info and all of what's happen in Antigua, you have got to log on to the Antigua Sun newspaper. There are stories and comments and cartoons and all kinds of stuff. Even the gov. is envoled. Heads may roll. Money is beening lost big time. $5.5 million dollars. Really, give it a try. It's a great read. OM
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I disagree with booking through the cruise line. I feel it is perfectly fine to book on your own as long as you are aware of what time to be back at the ship and book through a reputable operator(the disreputable ones are fairly easy to spot normally).
To me the extra money buys piece of mind to know that ships not going anywhere without you.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN
If you people want all of the info and all of what's happen in Antigua, you have got to log on to the Antigua Sun newspaper. There are stories and comments and cartoons and all kinds of stuff. Even the gov. is envoled. Heads may roll. Money is beening lost big time. $5.5 million dollars. Really, give it a try. It's a great read. OM
Ditto OM's comment - be sure to read the comments after the articles. It is an interesting cheap ethnography.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Cruise ship tours are nothing more than local tours under contract to the cruise line. So yes, you pay double for usually less than half the trip you can arrange on your own.

Do your research, use a reputable company, and you will be at least as fine as with the cruise ship tours. You may even occasionally be ON the same tour.

I did Eli's Eco tour in Antigua and without a doubt, it is in my top 10, probably top 5 shore excursions, anywhere, period. Not available through any cruise line...

My pictures
http://www.zydecocruiser.com/antigua_adventures.htm
Sounds very logical but I will stick with the cruise line. To each his own.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Old October 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

[quote=zydecocruiser]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "IBCRUZIN'"
[/quote

You have to be crazy to drive around in a strange country where it is against the law to have an accident. Anything can happen, a fender bender might cause you to miss the ship. Just book excursions through the cruise line. You are spending thousands on the cruise and in my case don't get paid vacation time. What's all this nickel and dime nonsense? I guess I was raised to always err on the side of caution.

On my last cruise my table mates took the "same" tour of Old San Juan and were stuck in traffic the whole time. This was not the case for me for whatever reason, they did save twenty dollars.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:04 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd

Ditto OM's comment - be sure to read the comments after the articles. It is an interesting cheap ethnography.
Ethnography.... new word for the day! LOL

Maybe you can call Webster and get that one inserted....
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:

Ethnography.... new word for the day!

Maybe you can call Webster and get that one inserted....
Sorry Bob, I had just put away the books and was still using big words. It is a real word, but I won't bore you with the details.

I think Dave is correct the Carnival is using this for their advantage. The 8-night So. Carib. cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale will still call on Antigua, but that is just once every four weeks instead of weekly. If CCL was truly leaving because of this they would reroute that ship (Freedom?) as well.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
It is against the law to have an accident and they don't care what nationality you are.
Is it legal to have an intentional?

Old October 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
First Mate

Quote:

Sorry Bob, I had just put away the books and was still using big words. It is a real word, but I won't bore you with the details.
LOL - Ethnography - It is a methodological strategy used to provide descriptions of human societies

I WAS joking... you know ethno - ethics - ether - laughing gas.... LOL
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Technically an ethonography is the written anthropological study of a culture. I was simply using anthropological terms in a most proper way to describe why certain cruisers behave the way they do in one of my posts on here. As you may have guessed by now, I have studied anthropology at some point. Currently taking a religious anthropology class actually.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I was simply using anthropological terms in a most proper way to describe why certain cruisers behave the way they do in one of my posts on here
"Certain cruisers" act the way they do because they're on vacation, and they forget to keep their heads about them. On ships people lose many of their inhibitions, and can act quite differently than they would at home.

In the Caribbean most cruisers tourists rather than travelers.

Add some alcohol to that mix and they quite easily slide into stupidity. Where they're from rarely has anything to do with the mix.

You can't learn stupid.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
I was simply using anthropological terms in a most proper way to describe why certain cruisers behave the way they do in one of my posts on here
"Certain cruisers" act the way they do because they're on vacation, and they forget to keep their heads about them. On ships people lose many of their inhibitions, and can act quite differently than they would at home.

Add some alcohol to that mix and they quite easily slide into stupidity. Where they're from rarely has anything to do with the mix.

You can't learn stupid.
I don't think "stupid" fits here. I think naive and un-travelled is a better description of these 6 young people.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:

You can't learn stupid.
I don't think "stupid" fits here. I think naive and un-travelled is a better description of these 6 young people.
I bet they feel pretty stupid now!!

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Admiral

I enjoyed Antigua. It's a lovely island, as a matter of fact out Destiny Southern Caribbean it made the best photos. Destiny Southern Caribbean 2008 = St Thomas, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Dominica as well as Antigua.
Nelson's Dockyard was my favorite spot.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Beginner

I have read so much on this topic and I just cannot believe these 6 passengers didn't know any better. We cruise a good bit and I am often embarrassed by the way other passengers treat the people in the ports we visit, and the staff on the ship for that matter. For some reason, a few people board a ship and think they suddenly become better than others. Even my 16 year old sons would know better than to become violent with police officers or any other person in a foreign country. I get so frustrated with people making excuses for this behavior, it is completely unacceptable.

Okay, now to the port issue...I agree 6 people wouldn't make this decision for Carnival. We are sailing on the Dream in December and with all of the contraversy I'd rather visit another port than Antigua. I'm not so sure they'll be glad to see us knowing what the future is holding. Oh well, any day at sea is better than a day at work!