Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Familiar Face

Default Do in state residents get a discount?

Hey all --
I was just curious if "in-state" residents get a discount - if the cruise leaves out of a local port?

I had always seen that line asked if you were a resident of Fla....

So I was just curious.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Do in state residents get a discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydogeyessc
Hey all --
I was just curious if "in-state" residents get a discount - if the cruise leaves out of a local port?

I had always seen that line asked if you were a resident of Fla....

So I was just curious.

Thanks for any input!
Sometimes:

There are "Resident Discounts" that are issued for many sailings. They usually are activated after final payment date in order to fill the ship.

These "Resident Discounts" aren't always for people in the state of departure. We had a group cruise where people in Florida did not get the Resident Discount but many other people who lived outside of Florida did. The cruise left from Miami.

The best thing is to keep checking and ask your agent if there are any discounts and/or promotions for the cruise you are interested in.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Like Mike said, the cruise line will often target a specific areas with a promotion. For someone who has to fly to port, I think FL residents get a very nice discount.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Admiral

We saw a lot more resident specials when we lived in California than we do now that we are in Florida. I think that the west coast just doesn't have many options, so repeat cruisers have to be enticed on board if the ship is not going to be full enough.
Florida, on the other hand, has a huge number of options on land and sea and lots of tourist, so in a way, it might work better to offer discounts to out of state folks who might be considering a Florida vacation anyway. Just my guess as to why.
Marty
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Absolutely. Most cruise lines provide a slight discount for in state residents at a port where they are trying to build more business. Usually this amounts up to around 10%-15%, at the most. If you happened to be a past guest and also a senior citizen(one of the best discounts available), you really start to see serious discounts. Also, be sure to check with a reputable travel agent(in short one that cares about providing good customer service) and if they have pull with that particular cruise line they may be able to get you a better deal. Do not hesitate to ask a travel agent what cruise lines they sell the most of. They should not hesitate to answer as they should be happy to show they have expertise in a particular line or two. If they try to avoid answering questions before you are working with them, run the other way.