Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cozumel Mexico shore excursion ???

Me and my boyfriend will be in Cozumel Mexico on my birthday. Not sure which beach exursion to choose. What is the difference between Playa mia beach break and playa maya beach break deluxe?
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Are you booking through Carnival, or are you willing to go off on your own?
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Familiar Face

we were told it is safer to book through carnival. this is our 4th cruise and we have always booked through carnival. on the other hand we are willing to book privately as long as it will be a safe decision. what r ur thoughts?
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Admiral

I think as long as you do not it too close and research the company you are booking through thoroughly, it is fine to book privately. It is often much cheaper. For Cozumel, the best groups I have found to book through are cozumelinsider.com, shoretrips.com, viator.com, cozumel-tours.com, and thisiscozumel.com. All of these have a wide variety of excursions available and seem reputable to me. While I am planning my first cruise, I have done some extensive research into excursions and these companies do not seem to be disreputable. You can take a look for yourself and read their policies and whatnot. I also know each one has excursions available that you can't get through Carnival, so you may find a better selection to choose from.
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatrix1970
we were told it is safer to book through carnival. this is our 4th cruise and we have always booked through carnival. on the other hand we are willing to book privately as long as it will be a safe decision. what r ur thoughts?
Besides the "safety" issue - another big advantage of booking thru the cruise line is that if you are somehow delayed (flat tire - vehicle breakdown, etc)....the ship will know there is a group of people on one of their tours and they will hold the ship for you. We have seen that done on several occassions. If, however, you book your own...well...you are on your own. If you miss the ship-just be prepared to get to the next port.
We have done it on our own and have not ever had a problem, and you do save $$ by finding your own.
Just Beware of the Possible Consequences!!
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Admiral

If you will reread my post, I clearly said that in booking your own excursion you should give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. I think Carnival's excursions are overpriced(largely because they want to make the same amount or more than the tour operator) and are too few in options.
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Admiral

If you will reread my post, I clearly said that in booking your own excursion you should give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. I think Carnival's excursions are overpriced(largely because they want to make the same amount or more than the tour operator) and are too few in options. I only think you have to book through the cruise line in the case where you may be cutting it very close.
Old September 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
First Mate

Passion Island...

Corona commercial...

Open bar....

Free food....

Go fast boat ride.....be prepared to get wet.

Changed my whole outlook on Cozumel after 3-4 visits to date.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90