Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Input on Ships

Ok, I'm not a first timer, but I have only sailed the Conquest out of Galveston here local to me. My wife and I are looking at a trip April-May of next year right now, and are looking at a few ships. I would really love people who have sailed any of the following to give input on them, and maybe rank them in order of your favorites:

Legend
Liberty
Triumph
Conquest (obviously I've been on it, but curious as to how it rates compared to the others)

Right now we are leaning towards the Legend, so I would especially like input there. We have loved our time on the Conquest (and the variety of options on the ship) and this being a much smaller ship I am a little curious if I will have as much to do and keep us busy.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Hi there

I've been on both classes. I've never run out of things to do on either class of the ships. They both tend to have the same types of activites. The only difference is the larger ship might have the water park and large screen outside. I can live without both but thats just me. You'll have a fantastic time either way.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Just returned from our 4th or 5th cruise aboard "Legend", and it only gets better and better. We too have sailed aboard Liberty, and Triumph, but not Conquest. As far as size, even though "Legend" is a bit smaller, you won't notice it. As Dina stated, you still have all the great activities aboard. The main difference is that there is only one dining room, instead of two, but the good part about that is that you can walk from bow to stern on ANY deck, instead of having to go up and over, or down and under. "Legend" is the only ship now offering the new "Big Easy" show. GREAT SHOW. Port of Tampa is very, very easy compared to Miami, or Ft. Lauderdale. I'd choose "LEGEND" in a heartbeat.

"SKY"
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Admiral

I'm totally with Sky on this one....the Legend is my favorite. Went last year and am chomping at the bit waiting for this year's cruise. I usually don't want to do the same cruise or even the same ship as whatever the previous one was but hubby and I both agreed that the Legend is the one exception to this. Love it.
Marty
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I have never sailed on the Conquest so here is my order of pereference for the remainder:

1. Liberty
2. Legend
3. Triumph

I had bad experiences on my 3 Triumph cruises and will never sail on her again.
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
I have never sailed on the Conquest so here is my order of pereference for the remainder:

1. Liberty
2. Legend
3. Triumph

I had bad experiences on my 3 Triumph cruises and will never sail on her again.
Oddly enough, I sailed "Triumph" in Feb. of '09, and loved her! I guess it's all in what you expect, but my experience aboard "Triumph" was nothing but good....

"SKY"
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM
First Mate

We never sailed on the Triumph but have sailed on the other two. Here's my choice:

1. Liberty
2. Legend

3. Triumph - only because I don't know anything about this ship.

I felt the Liberty had a much nicer interior than the Legend and in my opinion, the Legend was a little goddy to me. But to confuse you a little, I love the Spirit class ships over the others. Just not in favor of the Legend.

How did you like the Triumph?

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Carnival Liberty - Sept 2013
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014

Old September 29th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Input on Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTodd
Ok, I'm not a first timer, but I have only sailed the Conquest out of Galveston here local to me. My wife and I are looking at a trip April-May of next year right now, and are looking at a few ships. I would really love people who have sailed any of the following to give input on them, and maybe rank them in order of your favorites:

Legend
Liberty
Triumph
Conquest (obviously I've been on it, but curious as to how it rates compared to the others)

Right now we are leaning towards the Legend, so I would especially like input there. We have loved our time on the Conquest (and the variety of options on the ship) and this being a much smaller ship I am a little curious if I will have as much to do and keep us busy.
The ships are just buildings that float. The CRUISE is what you make of it.
I've cruised on more than 40 ships on many different lines. I would just as soon sail a small ship as a large one but generally the older, smaller ships only do short cruises, and I think 7 days is too short. Anything less is just a tease. But if the smaller ships did long cruises, I'd sail them too. The CRUISE, not the ship, counts.
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Admiral

I know everyone says that a cruise is what you make it, however, I believe that circumstances beyond your control can make or break your cruise.

My three bad experiences on the Triumph were passenger related and how the crew responded and really had nothing to do with the ship's cleanliness, food quality, entertainment venues, etc. I don't know if it was the time of year we sailed, the ship we chose, or what.

On all three sailings there were very large groups booked who seemed to take over the entire ship....running helter skelter throughout the public areas, taking over the entire dance club, karaoke, piano bar, pools, etc. They were loud and obnoxious in the formal dining rooms, Lido deck restaurants, in the halls, everywhere. These large groups of people were easily identifiable by their matching T shirts. The children in the groups were unsupervised and took over the elevators, ice cream machines, hot tubs, pools. They ran up and down the halls until the wee hours of the morning banging on doors and ripping the room service tags off the doorknobs (couldn't understand why I wasn't getting my morning coffee until I caught them redhanded), they propped open their doors and screamed down the halls to each other, some of them with music blaring and dancing in the halls. Constant complaints to the Purser's desk from my family and other passengers were falling on deaf ears...nothing was ever done. These groups were so large that they seemed to be everywhere on the ship. I realize that everyone wants to have fun on their cruise and usually you can just avoid the few passengers who treat the ship as their own personal cruise ship but when their actions negatively impacts your fellow passengers, the cruise line has to jump in and try to resolve the situation to everyone's satisfaction and I don't believe that Carnival personnel on these particular cruises did that.

I have never experienced anything like this on any other cruise ship I have sailed on and hope I never do again. My sailings on the Triumph were the only times I couldn't wait to get off the ship in Miami. I felt cheated out of my hard earned and well planned cruise.
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Beginner

We've sailed on at least one ship in each class of Carnival's fleet, except the Splendor and Dream(sailing 12/3). The Legend happens to be my favorite to date, I think she's beautiful and extremely easy to get around. The Spirit Class does have a different feel, very narrow, but I LOVE these ships. The Legend also has a great itinerary. We had horrible weather last year sailing on the Legend, had to tender from a different area in Grand Cayman due to storm and got off for 15 minutes and returned to ship. Honduras-didn't get off at all due to the storms. AND THIS WAS STILL MY FAVORITE TRIP! A close second would be the Freedom doing a Panama Canal excursion, if you like sea days...my favorite.
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Umm. The Legend just collided with Enchatment of the Seas...
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda55
Umm. The Legend just collided with Enchatment of the Seas...
Not "just" it happened over a week ago now. She's fine though, cosmetic dammage. My cruise on her isn't for 6 months, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old October 5th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

My vote would be the Legend. Just sailed on her (during the Crash Cruise) and enjoyed the ship. Really like the layout of the Spirit Class ships and I like that they are smaller! Plus it has a great Itinerary! And sailing to/from Tampa is a breeze. They have the embarkation process down! Debarkation was smooth as well!

Can't weigh in much on the others though though I don't love the Conquest Class ships. Harder to get around.

Just my thoughts!

Ashley
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Do them all
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rosetattoo ---- sail during the "off" season and you'll see a HUGE difference. Our second cruise was aboard the Legend out of NYC. Ketchup sprayed all over the elevators, adults allowing their children in the "adult" only pool on Lido, ice cream machines with ice cream flowing all over the floors. Security people have told us the summer months are a nightmare for them. Security cameras broken, etc. As one guard put it "we do not tolerate this behavior at home" Doesn't that make our country look just dandy?!!!!

We have since sailed in September and have had little to no problems since then. There were several groups on the Miracle with us this year and I didn't notice any trouble on board. Some of them off ship at Margaritaville in Grand Turk were another story.