Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Default Drinking water...

We are about to leave on our first cruise in a couple of weeks, my wife, teenage daughter and myself. I have seen several posts about people bringing their own drinking (bottled) water. Is the tap water safe to drink on the ship? or is it just a taste difference?

I have also seen a few posts that say to bring a water filter with you. Do you recommend this?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Drinking water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy K.
We are about to leave on our first cruise in a couple of weeks, my wife, teenage daughter and myself. I have seen several posts about people bringing their own drinking (bottled) water. Is the tap water safe to drink on the ship? or is it just a taste difference?

I have also seen a few posts that say to bring a water filter with you. Do you recommend this?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
The ship's water is as safe or safer than any public water system in the U.S. The water is seawater that either goes through distillation or reverse osmosis.

Bringing a water filter is a waste of luggage space. Some people just like to bring their own water but I can't really understand why.

The only ship that I have sailed that had water that didn't taste good was the Carnival Pride. The water was fine but it just had a taste to it. It's the only ship in about 20, that I have sailed, that had a "taste" to the water.

Take care and leave the filter at home.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Admiral

In addition to the use of the onboard distilling plants, ships also take on fresh water in port, which is filtered, sampled, etc. It is perfectly safe to drink. In fact it is held to higher safety standards than most tap water or bottled water. I've been drinking ship's water for years - in fact I used to "make" it while in the Navy. People get hung up on perceptions and think a bottle of water just has to be better for them. Fact is, most of it comes directly from some municipal water supply. I recently read an article which referred to bottled water as the "pet rock" of this current era.
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Familiar Face

Default water thoughts

the waters fine come on in.
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Familiar Face

Interesting thing about the water onboard the ships. All is fine and all is good, but we learned that the ice makers are filtered as well. Which means the water used to make the ice is "double filtered" and actually tastes somewhat better. My husband takes medication in the AM before breakfast so in the evening we move the top off the ice bucket allowing some of the ice to melt. In the AM there is more then enough water for him to take his medication. It actually has a fresher taste then the tap water. I will say, there is nothing wrong with the ships tap water!

Another thing we have done is when in port we sometimes stop at a convenience type store and purchase a six pack of bottle water. Much cheaper then onboard prices. Also eliminates the ice bucket routine!
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:50 AM
First Mate

We have found that the water from the tap in the room is not as good as the water in the MDR. I agree that melted ice "water" is better tasting - then again it's COLD.. lol
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I use water bottles when in port - I fill them from the lido deck

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Passenger

Thank you all for the advice. My wife will sleep much better now.