Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley
Default A Titanic Cruise?!

Hey everyone! A fellow teen on our board posted this and thought it was interesting so I would share it with you all =)

http://www.titanicmemorialcruise.co.uk

I think its pretty awesome they are doing a memorial cruise for the Titanic on the 100th anniversary of it sinking. I'm sure that this would be an awesome experience to be aboard this ship right above the Titanic's final resting place but its most definitely out of my price range. Anyways take a look and let me know what you guys think about it =)
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

First time I read about it, I said "WHY", and then when I saw the cost, I said "WHY?".
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

At $4,200 per person I think I'll pass.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Captain

I would go just to find that stone the old bat dropped in the ocean. Then I would look for Cal and kick his sorry butt. "I will never let go Jack".
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
I would go just to find that stone the old bat dropped in the ocean.
Too late, I found it first! Just the other day a matter of fact....when I found a dead stingray washed up on shore wearing it around it's neck! It'll look better on me anyway.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM
First Mate

I'm not sure I would push my luck! LOL
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Somethings are better just left alone..Sometimes sequels are not great..
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Familiar Face

The site is a gravestone and a memorial.

The excavation that is going on through deep sea submersible cannot truly honor those who were lost...There was no Jack or Rose....only many ordinary people who lost their lives due to circumstance.

NCL STAR: 10/25/10
GLORY: 10/31/09
MONARCH OF THE SEAS: 08/31/09
LIBERTY: 11/15/08
VALOR: 09/30/07
IMAGINATION: 09/00
STARSHIP OCEANIC: 92
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Admiral

First of all, although the Titanic movie was fiction, it was still plausible, for the most part. Secondly, we best hope this voyage does not meet with the same end at both the Titanic and her sister ship, the Lucitania.
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Passenger

I have been a reading about the Titanic since I was 7 years old, and many of you think that Jack and Rose were fictional, but in real life they were not. There were actually a passenger who won his ticket in a poker game just before sailing and there really was a person like Rose on the ship. I myself would love to do that cruise, but like some others have said the price for it is outrageous. I have heard that there is not that many booking the cruise so it may not happen unless they bring down the prices or another line decides to do one (which I hope it is Carnival since they bought out Cunard who use to own White Star). There is still time for another line to do it.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Now that is interesting. I thought I knew all the history of it, and the fact that I didn't know about that is suprising. Obviously, Hollywood would have had to fictionalize it to make it more dramatic either way. I do know the set used, James Cameron had built to a 3/4 scale of the actual Titanic.
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
First of all, although the Titanic movie was fiction, it was still plausible, for the most part. Secondly, we best hope this voyage does not meet with the same end at both the Titanic and her sister ship, the Lucitania.
The Lusitania was not the sister ship to the Titanic. The Olympic was Titanic's sister ship. Titanic and Olympic were constructed to "compete" with Lusitania.

Lusitania and Mauritania were sister ships and were part of Cunard's fleet. They were constructed four years before the Titanic. Titanic and Olympic sailed for White Star lines.

While both ships sank, one by iceberg and the other by torpedo, they really weren't too similar. Saying Titanic and Lusitania were sister ships would be like saying Voyager of the Seas and QM2 are sister ships.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old October 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Just a minor confusion. It has been a while since I have seen any of the info on this, so naturally I would get a few things mixed up. My apologies.
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacooe
I have been a reading about the Titanic since I was 7 years old, and many of you think that Jack and Rose were fictional, but in real life they were not. There were actually a passenger who won his ticket in a poker game just before sailing and there really was a person like Rose on the ship. I myself would love to do that cruise, but like some others have said the price for it is outrageous. I have heard that there is not that many booking the cruise so it may not happen unless they bring down the prices or another line decides to do one (which I hope it is Carnival since they bought out Cunard who use to own White Star). There is still time for another line to do it.
Actually, there was a real Jack Dawson on the Titanic, but he wasn't a passenger, per se. On my first cruise to Canada, we took a tour to the Maritime Museum where they have some of the artifacts found at the site where the Titanic sunk. We also took a guided tour to the cemetary (morbid as it sounds) where many of the victims are buried. We saw Jack Dawson's grave, but the real Jack wasn't anything like the fictional one.

According to our guide, the producer visited the cemetary before production started, was looking at the tombstones and came across Dawsons's. He then had the idea of using a real person's name to play the lead role, but Jack Dawson, according to the guide, was an employee who worked in the boiler room. As soon as the movie was released flocks of young girls would visit the tomb and leave teddy bears, balloons, and love letters thinking the Jack Dawson that died in the movie was the real one buried there.
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Still, considering James Cameron did use a real person's name, he did get one thing in the film right. Back then, the crew quarters would have likely been in the same area as steerage class. It is interesting to note that there is a cruise ship out there today that has some of the restored original parts of the old ocean liners. I am not sure if one of them has paneling from the Titanic or not, but it would be interesting if it did, but using parts from a ship where many died seems like a bad idea to me. After all, there would be a chance with all of those deaths that it could very well carry residual energy from those deaths, resulting in a classic residual haunting of the new ship. Just a thought.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli
Default Titanic!!

MikeM

Well said on your information! I am a avid collector of ocean liner items,
memorbilia and you are right on w/your information. To be real honest there is not much alike between a cruise ship and an ocean liner except they sail on water. I also agree the cost of this cruise is way to high and perhaps the rate will go down or this ship won't sail? I would love to do that cruise but not on my budget...........

Take care;

Lee & Kelli
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Admiral

There being a difference between a cruise ship and ocean liner does beg the question to which Cunard's ships belong, since they are the only old style ocean liners today, but are still cruise ships at the same time.
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Admiral

I think the success of this cruise depends on a lot of things. Make it affordable and make it about the history, be respectful of the lives lost. Pearl Harbor is also a gravestone and a memorial, which people visit regularly. I have heard people talk about their visit to Pearl Harbor as an emotional visit.

I worry that James Cameron blurred the lines between fiction and fact that people won't see the Titanic as a place were many families lost their lives. People will see Titanic as special effects and romance. They will miss a lot with this view.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Celebrity's Millennium has the original paneling from the S.S. Olympic (sister-ship to the Titanic) in the Olympic specialty restaurant. Olympic didn't sink and if there are any residual spirits from the Olympic they are friendly spirits because, on all of my cruises, the Olympic is the best alternative restaurant that I've had the pleasure to experience.

Take care,
Mike

Old October 14th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli
Default Titanic.. days long gone.

The last oceanliner was the Norway and it used to be called the S. S. France. If you look at pictures of the Norway and a modern cruise ship you would notice quite a difference. The Norway was 1035 feet long and the bow was more slim and pointed, the aft was more rounded and not like the aft of today's cruise ships. The Norway was launched in 1962 and was owned by the French Line before NCL purchased her. We did a cruise on this ship back in 2002 or 2003? That was a cruise to remember!

The last Cunard ship's are the Queen MaryII and the Queen Victoria. I would say they are "cruise ships" but they have a strong connections to the old oceanliners of a by gone area. I would love to do a crossing on the Queen Mary II, maybe someday I can work it out??

Lee & Kelli
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Do not forget the upcoming Queen Elizabeth.

Mike M, I was mainly speaking to the possibility someone may decide to use recovered artifacts from a sunken ship someday, which is wrong in itself but can happen due to the private market, and the possible paranormal effects it could have. I know not everyone believes in hauntings, but if you think about it, all it would be is an electromagnetic energy imprint, though why these imprints would behave the way they do is still a mystery.