CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Does the Northeast hate Caribbean cruises? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/368599-does-northeast-hate-caribbean-cruises.html)

spacewoman October 8th, 2009 11:15 AM

Does the Northeast hate Caribbean cruises?

Just back from the Miracle. Of course PCD sinks in and I start searching for next year's cruise. To my dismay, next September there is only the Miracle sailing to the Caribbean. We've been on her twice so wanted to look to sail different ship. Pride out of Baltimore is only going bahamas and Carnival does not sail from Boston. NCL out of Boston is old orient line ship the Spirit and it's doing bahamas, Princess is only doing canada cruises, and I didn't see anything on RCL. NCL out of New York is newer ship, the Gem, but doing Florida and the Bahamas.

Are the cruise lines ticked off at the Caribbean?

I, for one, want to cruise to a WARMER climate like the Caribbean, not Canada (in September anyway).

Thoth October 8th, 2009 11:23 AM

I encountered super weather last month while in New York, Boston, Portland ME, Saint John NB, and Halifax NS.
I'm from the Deep South and I HATE hot weather. It's 90* in April...it's 90* in October, and hotter in between. The Carabean is +90* all the freaking time.
70* in New England/Canada feels just wonderful to me. :)

venice October 8th, 2009 12:28 PM

suggest you start now in researching air fares to Florida

Dan40 October 8th, 2009 12:33 PM

Re: Does the Northeast hate Caribbean cruises?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacewoman
Just back from the Miracle. Of course PCD sinks in and I start searching for next year's cruise. To my dismay, next September there is only the Miracle sailing to the Caribbean. We've been on her twice so wanted to look to sail different ship. Pride out of Baltimore is only going bahamas and Carnival does not sail from Boston. NCL out of Boston is old orient line ship the Spirit and it's doing bahamas, Princess is only doing canada cruises, and I didn't see anything on RCL. NCL out of New York is newer ship, the Gem, but doing Florida and the Bahamas.

I, for one, want to cruise to a WARMER climate like the Caribbean, not Canada (in September anyway).

Look at map, look at distance scale on map, calculate at 20 miles per hour! :D

catty October 8th, 2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth
I encountered super weather last month while in New York, Boston, Portland ME, Saint John NB, and Halifax NS.
I'm from the Deep South and I HATE hot weather. It's 90* in April...it's 90* in October, and hotter in between. The Carabean is +90* all the freaking time.

90 in April in Mississippi? I am moving there...I was in Gulf Shores in April and it was pretty cool. Anyway, New York in the winter is freezing and I don't blame anyone for wanting a caribbean cruise,,,

Thoth October 9th, 2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catty
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth

90 in April in Mississippi? I am moving there...I was in Gulf Shores in April and it was pretty cool. Anyway, New York in the winter is freezing and I don't blame anyone for wanting a caribbean cruise,,,

OK it isn't 90 every day in April. Oh I understand that is gets cold in the winter in New York, but I was speaking of September.

bguppies October 9th, 2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

To get to the Caribbean from anywhere north of Port Canaveral, it wouyld take too long to get there....

Even when they add Charleston in May, it will still only reach Grand Turk at it's furthest.

Needless to say, to reach the Caribbean from Baltimore or NYC, it would have to be a 2 week long cruise and that ain't gonna happen on Carnival.

Bill

spacewoman October 9th, 2009 06:21 PM

Thoth --- if you saw the summer we've had here in upstate New York (mostly cold, nothing but rain) you'd understand our want to be WARM. You got very lucky when you came up here. We started to warm up first week of May and we've had nothing but rain since the end of May. Most all the garden crops were ruined, etc. Our summer consisted of 3 hot weeks the first week of August. In fact guess what it's doing today??? You got it ----raining. Rice patties anyone? LOL

Maybe the cruiselines have been getting folks complaining about being on the ocean for 2 and a half days before they reach an island. I, for one, enjoy that floating entertainment center so it doesn't matter to me. I have heard folks saying they felt uneasy about not seeing land. I haven't flown since pre 911 and hubby who flew all the time said he won't fly so right now it's a driveable port and that's our tough luck if we don't want to fly

Dan40 October 9th, 2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

The distance from NYC to San Juan is 1634 miles. And San Juan is the northern edge of the Caribbean. At 20 mph, the round trip would take 6.8 days. ANY stop along the way for any amount of time over 288 MINUTES, means the trip could NOT be done in 7 days.

Thoth October 10th, 2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Thoth --- if you saw the summer we've had here in upstate New York (mostly cold, nothing but rain) you'd understand our want to be WARM. You got very lucky when you came up here. We started to warm up first week of May and we've had nothing but rain since the end of May. Most all the garden crops were ruined, etc. Our summer consisted of 3 hot weeks the first week of August. In fact guess what it's doing today??? You got it ----raining. Rice patties anyone? LOL

Maybe the cruiselines have been getting folks complaining about being on the ocean for 2 and a half days before they reach an island. I, for one, enjoy that floating entertainment center so it doesn't matter to me. I have heard folks saying they felt uneasy about not seeing land. I haven't flown since pre 911 and hubby who flew all the time said he won't fly so right now it's a driveable port and that's our tough luck if we don't want to fly

Yeah I heard that the Northeast had a late summer....sorry about that.
Don't get me wrong I've sailed to the Caribbean 7 times. Alaska and New England/Canada were nice changes of scenery. 8)

ttam October 10th, 2009 10:26 AM

Does the NE hate CCL

i doubt that but as was said the time, distance, cost could be$$$$$
if you dont want to fly to fla
1. go out of NORFOLK,VA to NASSAU there is usualy 2 cruises to nassau and freeport by carnival .
OF
Drive to LORTON VA and use the autotrain, we have done this twice.
you can find out more about that through AMTRACK.
nomerous ways to go to CARRIBBEAN
boB :D :o :o :o :D :D :D

dave 3261 October 11th, 2009 03:58 AM

I will be sailing out of Jersey on RCI Explorer of the Seas in January, 2010.

Going to:
San Juan
St. Thomas
Antigua
Dominica

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

Dan40 October 11th, 2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave 3261
I will be sailing out of Jersey on RCI Explorer of the Seas in January, 2010.

Going to:
San Juan
St. Thomas
Antigua
Dominica

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

That is a 10 night cruise. Can't be done in 7.

spacewoman October 15th, 2009 11:54 AM

We just got off 8 day to puerto rico, st thomas and grand turk on the Miracle. To better explain my post. Of course the first thing you do is look at cruises for next year and that's when I noticed that no one but Carnival was traveling there in September. We took a 9 day out of Brooklyn aboard the Crown Princess in 2007 that went to Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and Bermuda. Loved that itinerary. Besides added fuel cost to the cruiselines and, since we're expecting SNOW this evening in upstate New York, I wonder why there isn't a passenger want for that itinerary in September. I did write CEO of Princess to express the desire for September sailings to Caribbean and they said they would forward my letter to that department. My hope is others express want of this itinerary in September as well to Carnival and other lines so this will be readily available for those of us that like to cruise in September.

I wonder, though, if the real issue isn't the hastle of re-routing for tropical storms, hurricanes, etc

EMG October 18th, 2009 02:21 PM

I think as someone else mentioned, it's not so much that we in the NE hate the caribbean. It simply takes to long to get to the Bahamas from Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, etc..

I've seen cruises that leave from Philadelphia (my home city), to Bermuda and the price is just ridiculous; to me. It's like $700+ for almost 4 days at sea and 1 day in Bermuda, no thanks.. I'll fly to FL and hit more ports for the same price.