Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
Only thing is the only true Champagne in the world comes from the Champagne province in France. To drink Dom says as much about the drinker as it does the wine. It is simply a show of exquisite taste.
I consider Dom to be an overpriced Champagne that people spend money on solely for the name and the status of drinking a famous Champagne. California Sparkling wine and the other Calfiornian wines can stand up to and surpass french wine in favor. Which in the end is all that really matters. I don't need to overspend on champagne to have exquiste taste.

Take the 1976 Paris Tasting for example. The 1973 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley, California won the best red wine in a blind taste test against other French red wines.
http://www.wineintro.com/history/reg...76tasting.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Admiral

Dom actually has it's good name for an excellent reason. To my knowledge they have never had a bad year, and the rarest vintages are often the exceptional years.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Dom is the one champagne that I really don't like. Well, that and the really cheap stuff. Thankfully, I rarely drink at all and then one glass will do, because I only like the very expensive cognacs and champagnes. Years ago, I was at a restaraunt where there was a very loud and noisy group nearby. Said something polite about it to our waiter. He told us it was the owner and a bunch of other restaraunt owners in the area, who had wine tastings periodically. Not much you can do when the noisy ones own the place, but it was a very upscale place. ANyway, the waiter must have spoken to the owner, as they started including us in the wine tasting, which happened to be champagne. At the very end, the owner brought out a beautiful wooden box with a padlock and opened it. I don't remember the name, but it was a bottle of champagne worth over a grand. I will never forget the taste of that. I savored my small sample in teeny tiny sips to stretch it out. Part of the reason I don't know the name is that I knew I would probably never be able to buy it anyway!
Marty
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Well, not everyone will like all of the wines and champagnes in a price category. For those who do not enjoy Dom, there are others in the same price category that you may prefer, such as Kristal.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:22 PM
First Mate

For the record when president Nixon made his famous visit to China he took Korbel champagne which can be purchased at costco for less than $9.00. Must have been decent or it would not have been the choice for the fancy dinner.Still have a problem with the cruise lines selling at least $30 per bottle.Now you see why we take our own wine on board and will consist of no less than 2 bottles plus those in our checked luggage.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Korbel is ok, but in it's price point, I quite prefer a pink champagne. Pink champagne seems to have a bit of a sweeter taste than white champagne.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Some excellent California Sparkling wines.
Gloria Ferrer 1991 Carneros Brut Royal Cuvee
Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs
Schramsberg J. Schram 2001
Domaine Carneros Napa Valley Brut
Mumm Cuvee Napa 1994 DVX

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Admiral

I am trying to decide between Merlot, Chianti, California Red, or Pink Champagne.
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Korbel is ok, but in it's price point, I quite prefer a pink champagne. Pink champagne seems to have a bit of a sweeter taste than white champagne.
That is because red wine grapes have higher brix of sugar (higher sugar). Reds get picked around 25 to 28 brixs and whites about 18 to 20 brix. So Red wine grapes have a strong and longer Fermentation period. My dad mostly makes his wine with red grapes the higher the sugar the more alcohol as well because the sugar actives the yeast and turns to alcohol.

Wine making is interesting. I grow the white wine grapes I have to watch the sugar and acid, plus birds and rodents. It's a fun hobby.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Admiral

I have always preferred reds, but what vamp doesn't enjoy a blood red drink every now and again. Lol.
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I have always preferred reds, but what vamp doesn't enjoy a blood red drink every now and again. Lol.
Also made in California.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Admiral

I forgot about that brand of wine. I'm what you'd call a vampire gangster r&b/hip-hop impressario.
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Katlady----boy I love your taste in wines-/champagnes ----
I have a bottle of Dom that I got for my birthday last year----and I really have the feeling that when I do drink it I'll be very disappointed----and for the cost I could enjoy several other bottle that I know I would enjoy---
Korbel does hold a special place in my heart---my great uncle worked there and almost married into the family-----------but he chose to marry for love not money------------there are other varieties of Korbel---that are better than the one that comes to mind--------

Cheers all
April------
again spoiled ---in where I live and the local wineries around me---and friends who work there and share-----Savannha Channel comes to my mind right away-----and boy how Paseo Robles has grown-----
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM
First Mate

Quote:
I forgot about that brand of wine. I'm what you'd call a vampire gangster r&b/hip-hop impressario.
And very pretentious at it...

Quote:
Only thing is the only true Champagne in the world comes from the Champagne province in France. To drink Dom says as much about the drinker as it does the wine. It is simply a show of exquisite taste.

Well, not everyone will like all of the wines and champagnes in a price category. For those who do not enjoy Dom, there are others in the same price category that you may prefer, such as Kristal.
What will the "little people" drink when you take over?
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Admiral

I am just saying every price category of every type of wine has something to suit everyone's tastes. I drink wines across the board. My favorite wine below $5 being Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot. Dom and Kristal should be reserved for special occasions(ie the weekend when you can party like Diddy....J/K) or if you have the funds for it on a consistent basis. My semi-ex-gf used to model so I learned a lot about fine wine from her.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Arbor Mist ??? IMHO is not even it the wine catagory----soda pop wine as some call it------now under 5.00-- Two Buck Chuck comes to mind and Fox Brook----are pretty good-----
My sister in law made lables for her sons wedding and put them over the Fox Brook lable and people were asking what wine it was------saying how much they enjoyed it---it only sells for 1.99-------------

Cheers
April
enjoy whatever you like to drink------
still searching for the perfect margarita thanks to some great cruisefriends
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Admiral

It is what I call limited budget wine. Not the best, but better than nothing. I do drink Chianti on occassion, as well as standard merlot, and even the occasional white whine. Pinot Noir, noir thanks.