Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Familiar Face

Default carrying on wine that has been opened?

I know that you are allowed to bring a bottle of wine in your carry on, but what if we open it the night before and drink about a fourth of it (at the hotel)? Can we still bring it, or does it have to be an un-opened bottle? Thanks in advance

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Admiral

I don't think you would have a problem unless it leaked.
However, just to be safe I would drink it all.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Admiral

What about bring on homemade wine. I have a Katlady 2009 that is aging as we speak. It would be fun to bring that wine on to the Splendor in May.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Admiral

It's not the wine, it's the opened part that may matter. They don't want spillage ruining their x-ray machine. Occasionally, but not always, they don't like a partially drunk bottle of water going through (in plain sight). Reseal it well and don't look like a terrorist. Once it is through, oops!

I would make sure it is resealed well and take your chances. Worst case, carry it on anyway, internally, of course.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
What about bring on homemade wine. I have a Katlady 2009 that is aging as we speak. It would be fun to bring that wine on to the Splendor in May.
Interesting question.

I hope that you can bring your Katlady 2009.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Admiral

When we boarded "Legend" last month, they stopped people (including the lovely Mrs. Jones) who had open bottles of ANY KIND,,,including water. We had to dispose of them at the X-Ray machine, or be denied boarding! I've never seen them do that before! Fortunately, we only had an opened bottle of water, but I'd sure hate to lose 3/4ths of a bottle of good vino! :evil:

"SKY"
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Admiral

In my case, once I open a bottle of wine, I don't usually end up with much left.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Bring two bottles. Drink one at the hotel and bring the other one aboard. Problem solved!
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Familiar Face

ok, sounds like we should finish the bottle! lol...we are not real big drinkers, might just wait and have it on the boat instead of the hotel Thanks for all replies

Woohoo! lookit my cruise clock...finally down to one week! it's been a long year and 2 months!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Admiral

That is a definitive "Not Allowed". It isn't so much the cruise lines regulations that would stop it. TSA and Homeland Security regulations wouldn't allow it due to the fact that it is easily possible for a less than savory character(ie jihadist(the radical muslims that use terror tactics), criminals, covert operative(hey, it's possible, though unlikely), or just plain nutjob) could smuggle explosives aboard in a wine bottle, soda bottle, water bottle, or even a shampoo bottle that has been opened. That is the real concern, not the alcohol itself, which in itself can be explosive in a limited range. The trick to learning why these rules are in place is a bit of mental roleplaying(without becoming the bad guy of course) and thinking "If I were a (entert type of person here), how would I do this".
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers
Bring two bottles. Drink one at the hotel and bring the other one aboard. Problem solved!
Excellent sugestion!

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Sort of related to this question---lots of wine now a days have screw tops---would you still have to pay a corkage fee ?--kind of laughing when I say that------
Guess if I could bring on two bottle of wine-- I make sure that they were full------I'm not cheap but the prices that they charge on the ship are way out of line IMHO------for bottles that is----

Cheers
April------
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Admiral

The prices on the ship for bottles is not out of line for the wine they offer. From what I can tell, the wine offered on board is much higher quality than what you would find at the grocery store and perhaps even a local liquor store. You have to realize that it depends on the brand and vintage how much wine is worth. A rare vintage can easily cost several hundred dollars.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
The prices on the ship for bottles is not out of line for the wine they offer. From what I can tell, the wine offered on board is much higher quality than what you would find at the grocery store and perhaps even a local liquor store. You have to realize that it depends on the brand and vintage how much wine is worth. A rare vintage can easily cost several hundred dollars.
You have never shopping in a Grocery store in California. I'm surrond on all sides all wineries and wine grape. Plus a short one hour drive and I'm in Napa. The ship's select is nothing compared to what I can bring on board. Wine is a hobby down here.

Katlady Vintage 2006

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Admiral

I have yet to make it to California, but it is on my to do list. However, in most cities, the typical bottle of wine is of a value of $4-$20 in a grocery store, up to about $50 in most liquor stores that do not specialize in wine. I am well traveled and have notice this tends to be the trend. Of course, if I could get my hands on a nice bottle of vintage Dom or Cristal, I would happily take it on board with me. Of course, I know those both can easily run $500 or more a bottle. Soon, very soon.
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
That is a definitive "Not Allowed". It isn't so much the cruise lines regulations that would stop it. TSA and Homeland Security regulations wouldn't allow it due to the fact that it is easily possible for a less than savory character(ie jihadist(the radical muslims that use terror tactics), criminals, covert operative(hey, it's possible, though unlikely), or just plain nutjob) could smuggle explosives aboard in a wine bottle, soda bottle, water bottle, or even a shampoo bottle that has been opened. That is the real concern, not the alcohol itself, which in itself can be explosive in a limited range. The trick to learning why these rules are in place is a bit of mental roleplaying(without becoming the bad guy of course) and thinking "If I were a (entert type of person here), how would I do this".
You will not be stopped from bringing any open bottles of shampoo, shower gel, lotion, etc. onto the ship (or on a plane for that matter, as long as it's checked). It's the agricultural laws which govern bringing food onto and off the ships unless it is factory sealed. It has nothing to do with terrorism. These laws have been in place for decades and most countries have them in some form. It's to keep foreign pests from being introduced into the environment.
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Admiral

Agricultural laws have been in place, but I can certainly tell you that the TSA also has regulations in place now because of the threat of a terrorist action. It is simply very easy to break down high explosives into base chemicals to smuggle. That is why they would simply confiscate any open bottles at the security checkpoint. Although I may be from a rural town, my specialty is not agriculture(when can we just start synthesizing food from energy like they did on Star Trek so we can just put all the agriculturalists out of business). My specialties are art, science, and giving everyone h**l.

I know about checked luggage btw, but I would not recommend putting an open bottle of wine in checked luggage due to possible spillage and since sometimes bags are lost.
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Agricultural laws have been in place, but I can certainly tell you that the TSA also has regulations in place now because of the threat of a terrorist action. It is simply very easy to break down high explosives into base chemicals to smuggle. That is why they would simply confiscate any open bottles at the security checkpoint. Although I may be from a rural town, my specialty is not agriculture(when can we just start synthesizing food from energy like they did on Star Trek so we can just put all the agriculturalists out of business). My specialties are art, science, and giving everyone h**l.

I know about checked luggage btw, but I would not recommend putting an open bottle of wine in checked luggage due to possible spillage and since sometimes bags are lost.
These TSA regulations cover the airport. There is no TSA presence on the cruise ship.
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Admiral

I have to totally agree with you Kat
Living in CA too---the prices are great---and cheap--Dom goes for around 110.00 at Costco----and Korbel 8.49---------I think Carnval has Korbel for 30.00-- one of the cheapest cruiseline prices around-----I guess were just spoiled---
Cheers
April
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by April
Sort of related to this question---lots of wine now a days have screw tops---would you still have to pay a corkage fee ?--kind of laughing when I say that------
Guess if I could bring on two bottle of wine-- I make sure that they were full------I'm not cheap but the prices that they charge on the ship are way out of line IMHO------for bottles that is----

Cheers
April------
An interesting question. I think he "corkage" fee is more for you drinking your own wine rather the CCLs and not so much as removing the cork like you can't do it yourself, so I bet they would charge you a "screwage" fee too.

While wine on the ship is a lot more expensive than in the store, especially in CA, it isn't that much more expensive than in restaurants.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Admiral

TSA regs actually covers all transportation as far as I am aware, as they are part of the Homeland Security Administration. Homeland Security would likely have the same rules along their constituent agencies. It is a bit confusing with all the new regulations since 9/11. I will check into it for sure though.
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Admiral

It doesn't make sense to me that the rules would be the same for checked bags for cruises and planes. On a cruise, you have access to checked luggage...not on planes. But, the rules are what they are and no point in trying to be logical about it.
We've never had a problem with open containers on a cruise. But, I am not surprised that they are trying to tighten up the rules. And since we don't try to sneak anything on board, it is not really a worry for us.
Marty
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Admiral

If you really stop and think about it, a ship is far more dangeous for something to slip onto than a plane. Someone on a plane really cannot move around as freely and if needed can be taken down, particularly if an air marshal is on board. On a ship, someone with bad intentions can get into closed spaces with dangerous equipment and gasses quite easily. After all, there is a reason why the Navy limits the smoking areas on ships.
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
However, just to be safe I would drink it all.
I stand by my original answer.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Shame they won't let you take Grog on board.
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Shame they won't let you take Grog on board.
You can take one liter of GROG aboard, if the bottle is still sealed! Just don't be drinkin' your GROG while checking in! ARARRRGGGGHHH.

"SKY"
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Admiral

I think that would be disallowed under the rules dealing with hard liquor. After all, it is rum and water.
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Admiral

I think we need a Grog recipe ARARRRGGGGHHH!!! Just in time for Halloween.
http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/grog.html

Pirate Grog Recipe

Add approximately one ounce of fine rum (the rum used in the Royal Navy was an exceptional quality alcohol) to tin or glass of water (7 to 9 oz.)

A more complex recipe

1 (oz) of Rum

the juice of half a lime

one or two teaspoons of cane sugar

and fill the rest of your tin or mug with water.

Grog as a Hot Drink

The most famous coctail that was consumed by pirates was certainly grog. Grog is a hot drink made of

1/2 cup of spiced rum

2 cans of beer

1 package of oatmeal (instant quaker oatmeal, cinnamon and spice preferred) dash of paprika

The recipe says oatmeal should be cooked using the beer instead the boiling water. Other ingredians should be added into the mixture durin the cooking

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by April
I have to totally agree with you Kat
Living in CA too---the prices are great---and cheap--Dom goes for around 110.00 at Costco----and Korbel 8.49---------I think Carnval has Korbel for 30.00-- one of the cheapest cruiseline prices around-----I guess were just spoiled---
Cheers
April
I still say why would I waste my time on the French stuff when the Calfiornian wines are so much better. No Dom for me I prefer Sparkling wine to Champagne. BTW the Katlady Vintage 2006 has a bottle that under went a second fermentation and was made into sparkling wine. It's in the kicthen still I will have to uncork that soon and see if it worked out.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Only thing is the only true Champagne in the world comes from the Champagne province in France. To drink Dom says as much about the drinker as it does the wine. It is simply a show of exquisite taste.