Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Admiral

How about instead of a series of personal attacks we try and stay on topic? BTW if you flame me for saying that I won't reply to your post.

EMG I was wondering which ports are included it your cruise. I live in California and I haven't been to a lot of Caribbean ports. Okay only one St. Marteen. You said you picked Carnival because they had the better itinerary. Which ports made you book this cruise? Some people cruise for the ship and other people for the itnerary. I cruise for itnerary I love to travel and want to see it all.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Kat, there should not be any reason for personal attacks. I hope you get some friendly answers to your questions.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16 *Anniversary cruise *
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Beginner

I booked the cruise I am about to take strictly due to the itinerary.
I've been wanting to check out the Bahamas and VI's and figured this would be a good way to decide where I want to visit for my next land vacation.
Just happened to be Carnival, same as my last cruise.
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Well I book this next cruise on the Carnival Conquest because the pricing was good--and I knew others that were going too---- I really hoped that your sister would be joining us too------a lot of those that are going on this were also on the Blogger group cruise last Feb-----
and I guess what help is that my husband said he would go too-----he really isnt into cruising like I am------but I'm spoiled that he will let me go with friends or even by myself--
I have booked cruises for the itinerary--and have booked them just because my friends were going---we really have a special friendship that was formed because of cruising----and even booked a cruise just because it was too cheap to pass up-------
It's nice to have something to look forward too----
Cheers and enjoy whatever you do
April
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Captain

In the past I've booked for the ports. The last Carnival cruise I booked because of the ship and had to cancel. The next cruise I'm going on is Golden Princess because a friend wanted Princess. Never been on that line. Will see in March how it compares.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by April
Well I book this next cruise on the Carnival Conquest because the pricing was good--and I knew others that were going too---- I really hoped that your sister would be joining us too------a lot of those that are going on this were also on the Blogger group cruise last Feb-----
and I guess what help is that my husband said he would go too-----he really isnt into cruising like I am------but I'm spoiled that he will let me go with friends or even by myself--
I have booked cruises for the itinerary--and have booked them just because my friends were going---we really have a special friendship that was formed because of cruising----and even booked a cruise just because it was too cheap to pass up-------
April
I know my sister is really interested in going. It's just figuring out how to pay for it. I know that is why I'm going on the Splendor next, because I can drive to port and it saves me money.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
April
I know my sister is really interested in going. It's just figuring out how to pay for it. I know that is why I'm going on the Splendor next, because I can drive to port and it saves me money.
I love the fact that I can drive to the port or hop on a Southwest flight to LA cheap. I've heard people say that the nice new mega ships should only be on the east coast doing the caribean. I say West coasters need a nice ship close to home too. It saves us time from a long flight and the extra expense of hotels and expensive flights to the east coast. Hope your sister can go. My friends just did the Splendor and had a wonderful time.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffca
Quote:
Quote:
April
I love the fact that I can drive to the port or hop on a Southwest flight to LA cheap. I've heard people say that the nice new mega ships should only be on the east coast doing the caribean. I say West coasters need a nice ship close to home too. It saves us time from a long flight and the extra expense of hotels and expensive flights to the east coast. Hope your sister can go. My friends just did the Splendor and had a wonderful time.
That is why I love the roundtrip route to Hawaii from LA or San Diego. Because its 14 days and I can drive to port. Carnival doesn't do the route, but if they ever need to move Splendor I would love it if they did that route. I'm still trying to talk my hubby into the roundtrip Hawaiian cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
April
That is why I love the roundtrip route to Hawaii from LA or San Diego. Because its 14 days and I can drive to port. Carnival doesn't do the route, but if they ever need to move Splendor I would love it if they did that route. I'm still trying to talk my hubby into the roundtrip Hawaiian cruise.
Have you ever done the 14 day hawaii on Princess? That is my next. On the Golden. I've never done Princess.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Always , so far, for destination/ports. Next one is for price/ease. CCL for the next one because I drive 15 miles to the port of Long Beach. Plus I wanted a really cheap cruise and a 4 night cruise at 560 for two people is pretty darn cheap.

If I like C C L (and I think I will) , I may buy 100 shares of stock to get the discount on 7 night cruises and do a few more Mexican cruises. Not for the ports,,for the journey.
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Have you ever done the 14 day hawaii on Princess? That is my next. On the Golden. I've never done Princess.
I never have done that cruise. I did go to Hawaii for my 21st birthday. My hubby has never been and would love to go. It's just a money thing. Our last cruise was a 14 day Transatlantic cruise. So I know the crossing will not bother me. I love the ocean and I could spend weeks out at sea on a cruise ship.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

May I make a suggestion to make reading these posts easier? Paul once had a thread about using quotes in threads, and he was right.. I would say, that, using the quotes within a quote, within a quote, just turn people off from reading the posts, and is confusing for many..I could never understand it...jmho

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Good point I edited my last post to make it easier to read.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Well I've done Hawaii---mostly land trips----and also one of the Lets get Leid groups-----Ive done Alaska 3 times out of SF and Mexico out of San Pedro several times too------sort of same old same old ports----

I've done the several sailing out of various Florida ports--and its nice to cruise out from them--had a great time going out of Port Canaveral last month------an added highlight was the Kennedy Space Center---
This time it going to be Galveston------another new place for me-----
it does add to my cruise experiance-----and its nice to be able to go in a few days early--especially with a time change --- it does make a difference---
Now as for Carnival----its works out nicely --since there really isnt a formal formal night-----
Cheers
April
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Captain

No formal night? When did that happen?
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
First Mate

Quote:
It is now "cruise elegant" night and is rather relaxed.... nice shirt/nice pants (not blue jeans)/shoes for guys (many do hat ties/coats and some tuxes still) nice dress/pants-blouse/shoes for women (some still wear party dresses). From what I understand it's similar for Royal also.

Carnival:
Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

From Royal:
Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Notice the "suggested"...
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
It is now "cruise elegant" night and is rather relaxed.... nice shirt/nice pants (not blue jeans)/shoes for guys (many do hat ties/coats and some tuxes still) nice dress/pants-blouse/shoes for women (some still wear party dresses). From what I understand it's similar for Royal also.

Carnival:
Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

From Royal:
Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Notice the "suggested"...
In polite society, "Suggested" is almost always used in place of "Required." But one is expected to realize that required is what is meant!
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:22 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan40
In polite society, "Suggested" is almost always used in place of "Required." But one is expected to realize that required is what is meant!
I agree but on another board I read on the RCCL thread that people were showing up in shorts/sandals and even jeans on "formal night"...

It seems that both lines have allowed a more relaxed clothing standard... regardless of your personal choice it is what it is....
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Captain

Oh My.... I hadn't realized they changed the wording. Wow that will give some people to do almost anything. :-)
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Let's face it....the written dress codes are being adjusted, but even back in the day, people went into the dr however they please, and, for the most part were never asked to leave. I saw it only happen once, on Celebrity.

As I walked into our dr a few wks back, I saw a man pause to speak to the maitre'd. As we walked in, I asked him how he felt about people like this man, in shorts, coming in his dining room.

With all the gallantry one would expect, he gave a shrug, and said, times are changing..he didn't like it especially, but it's Carnival/s decision.

C'est la vie......Que Sera Sera......It is what it is...fini.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Just got off the Splendor, an interesting thing happened. The second "elegant" night was also celebrated as Halloween, so we had suits (I saw a dinner jacket or two, but no tuxes), dresses and gowns and costumes. Funny I wouldn't have even thought of taking a custom on a cruise that did not cross Halloween, or maybe Mardi Gras.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Captain

It is wonderful that people can be comfortable and still enjoy the elegant service of the main dining room. Eventhough I hope more choose to be more on the elegant side than not. I enjoy putting on the ritz the best I can.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
Always , so far, for destination/ports. Next one is for price/ease. CCL for the next one because I drive 15 miles to the port of Long Beach. Plus I wanted a really cheap cruise and a 4 night cruise at 560 for two people is pretty darn cheap.

If I like C C L (and I think I will) , I may buy 100 shares of stock to get the discount on 7 night cruises and do a few more Mexican cruises. Not for the ports,,for the journey.
Just and FYI, you do not get a discount for stock ownership. What you do get is an OBC, amount based on length of cruise. For a 3-6 night sailing, it is $50 per cabin, for a 7 night sailing it is $100 per cabin.

Keep in mind that this is a stock holder benefit that is voted on at the annual meeting each year (usually held in the summer, I think). The benefit was extended through the summer of 2010, however, it is not a guaranteed thing.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:44 PM
First Mate

Well back to the OP I cruise just to cruise. I don't care what ship it is or what ports they are going to. Now the wife is a different story. She is all about the ports. She doesn't care what ship it is but she is picky about the ports.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)