Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Default Newbie: to this site, not cruising; many questions

Hi All,

My name is Mike, and I just joined. My wife and I are planning a cruise next year, late Sept-Oct (2010) around our aniversary and birthdays. We are in our early '50's.

I have cruised 3 times= '83 Carnival Festival/7 day E Carb, '98 Big Red Boat/ 4 day Bahamas, & '05 Sapphire Princess/7 day Mexican Riveria. She once, in 2005.

We really would like to sail with Princess again, however they do not have an intenary that we desire.

So we looking at Carnival, because RCCL does not appeal to me, HAL,NCL & X also do not have the intenary we desire; in addition we are looking at possible balcony &/or suites and they rather expensive on these lines. We loved our mini-suite on our honeymoon cruise in 2005 with princess.

We are looking at the Valor, Freedom, Legend, & Triumph for 7-8 W Carb sailing. Wife really wants to see Belize.
Any info anyone one could supply about these ports and ships are welcome. I am in the process of getting quotes now by online providers then go to my TA at AAA for help. Also have chatted with Carnival PVP, very nice lady.

Sorry for the lenght
Thanks in advance,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Captain

Triumph is a little smaller but once a month it will do the Western with Belize and Roatan. I love Roatan because excursions are very reasonable and it reminds me of Hawaii, with the mountains and jungle.

Unless you are using a TA who discounts, not a reason to get quotes on different cruises, when you can readily see the prices for yourself.

The reason for instance RCL suites cost more than Carnival is you get some perks, a concierge lounge with free drinks is my favorite one, 2 cruise credits etc. Carnival only gives you VIP boarding, nothing else and the suites on RCL are bigger and nicer ... I gather its the price is why you arent considering RCL. I wouldnt rule out RCL and close my mind against it, just because you are doing Carnival this cruise.

I cruised on Carnival 3 times back when you did and I also did the Big Red Boat, so I kinda remember them, even though its been a long long time to me.

Maybe you can compromise on a 9A (soon to be 9A, 9B, 9C), but if you book before the ship changes you can still get the 9A price. Triumph categories will change next Friday for instance .. after that you will pay more for better balconies and suites. Some ships the categories have already changed. 9A aft wraps are awesome if you can still get one, they go fast.

I havent heard anything that good about using AAA, any reason you are getting quotes from other TAs and then using AAA anyway?? curious.
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
Triumph is a little smaller but once a month it will do the Western with Belize and Roatan. I love Roatan because excursions are very reasonable and it reminds me of Hawaii, with the mountains and jungle.

Unless you are using a TA who discounts, not a reason to get quotes on different cruises, when you can readily see the prices for yourself.

The reason for instance RCL suites cost more than Carnival is you get some perks, a concierge lounge with free drinks is my favorite one, 2 cruise credits etc. Carnival only gives you VIP boarding, nothing else and the suites on RCL are bigger and nicer ... I gather its the price is why you arent considering RCL. I wouldnt rule out RCL and close my mind against it, just because you are doing Carnival this cruise.

I cruised on Carnival 3 times back when you did and I also did the Big Red Boat, so I kinda remember them, even though its been a long long time to me.

Maybe you can compromise on a 9A (soon to be 9A, 9B, 9C), but if you book before the ship changes you can still get the 9A price. Triumph categories will change next Friday for instance .. after that you will pay more for better balconies and suites. Some ships the categories have already changed. 9A aft wraps are awesome if you can still get one, they go fast.

I havent heard anything that good about using AAA, any reason you are getting quotes from other TAs and then using AAA anyway?? curious.
I am a 30y AAA member, however the last cruise I booked, the TA only booked it. I did all the work aand found what I wanted, I thought she give me some incite or perks and got neither, plus charged $20 for processing. However I think AAA members do get certain perks with carnival, not sure anymore. The 9A-C cats are very appelling to me.

As far as the perks for suites at RCCl, I am a big boy and can dress and put away my clothes by my self. But with VIP emarkation and debartion with carnival is appealling.

Thanks
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Admiral

I think you're on the right track, and am sure you'd enjoy any of the ships you're considering. Out of them, the "Legend" is just slightly smaller, but is much easier to find your way around on, once aboard. Also, "Legend" sails out of the Port of Tampa, and I personally, find that port much easier to sail into, and out of. Tampa also has an excellent airport, which is relatively close to the port. The other ships are all very good as well, and I wouldn't hesitate to sail any of them. (Fact is, I HAVE sailed all of them!) I too have quit sailing RCI at this time, simply because I feel the extra money they charge isn't warranted for the product you get. Oh yes, another thing,,,,if you ever served in the military, you will qualify for Carnivals Military discount. You don't have to have served 20 years. Be sure to tell your agent, or whoever you book with about any discounts you might qualify for, ie: state of residence, age, military, did you ever work for a rail road, or airline, etc.
Hope you have a GREAT cruise,,,and perhaps we'll see you aboard.

"SKY"
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Personally, I have not found AAA to be competitive in their pricing at all.
Second, we LOVE the Legend. Are going back on her next month and can't wait. The ship does Belize and Roatan, and we like those ports, plus it also stops at Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Not our favorites, but a good warmup for the ones we do like.
I'm not sure why, but the Legend really has a friendly feel to it for us. The service on our last trip on her (last year) was better than I've ever seen, even on pricier cruises.
Also, Tampa is an easy place to embark from. Not over crowded, not too far from the airport and well organized.
Whatever you decide, have a great time!
Marty
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers

Aren't the xtra perks on RCL now ONLY for GRAND Suites and Diamond + members? Regular suites and regular Diamond members no longer have access to the concierge lounge and free drinks and the PG parties now are $1.00 off the drink prices, not free.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Newbie: to this site, not cruising; many questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by finman53
Hi All,

My name is Mike, and I just joined. My wife and I are planning a cruise next year, late Sept-Oct (2010) around our aniversary and birthdays. We are in our early '50's.

I have cruised 3 times= '83 Carnival Festival/7 day E Carb, '98 Big Red Boat/ 4 day Bahamas, & '05 Sapphire Princess/7 day Mexican Riveria. She once, in 2005.

We really would like to sail with Princess again, however they do not have an intenary that we desire.

So we looking at Carnival, because RCCL does not appeal to me, HAL,NCL & X also do not have the intenary we desire; in addition we are looking at possible balcony &/or suites and they rather expensive on these lines. We loved our mini-suite on our honeymoon cruise in 2005 with princess.

We are looking at the Valor, Freedom, Legend, & Triumph for 7-8 W Carb sailing. Wife really wants to see Belize.
Any info anyone one could supply about these ports and ships are welcome. I am in the process of getting quotes now by online providers then go to my TA at AAA for help. Also have chatted with Carnival PVP, very nice lady.

Sorry for the lenght
Thanks in advance,

Mike
Shopping prices for Carnival online is a waste. Carnival does not allow agencies to ADVERTISE prices lower than CCL's advertised price. BUT online or brick & mortar TA's can quote you a lower price if you actually speak with them or email. There is a site with 'cruise' in their name and 'compete' in their name. Go there, enter the cruise you want and TA's will email you with their price. Make sure you understand the policies of EACH TA in re: prices changes, name changes, cancellations, etc. and that their price includes ALL taxes & fees.
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Beginner

I am registered with CC and have started to get some quotes. Most are the same price quoted by CCL but OBC.

PS I am some problems with some of the abbreviations that are being usedespecially relating to ships and and spouses. Have looked in the glossary,but those I already knew.

If we choose sailing out of Miami, would reccommend flying into MIA or FLL.
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default Belize

My wife and I cruised to Belize way back . And have been back as of last year. We both love Belize.

There is quite alot to see . I recommend the River Wallace Tour.

You will take a open boat up the River Wallace to the Myan Ruins. Boat trip is around two hours. .You will be left at a small boat landing to snak and bathroom. Be picked up on a bus and taken to the ruins . At the ruins about hour and half.

Then bused back through the country side of Belize where you will see and learn how they live. It amazing. No running water or electricity. And in the hot months they sleep under there huts/homes.

As you near the port you will be carried through the outskirts of town, seeing alot of different homes and other things.
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Admiral

If you are flying in the same day as the ship leaves, then definitely fly into MIA. If you are coming in the day before, you might save some on the flight by doing FLL, but then you will need a hotel and trasport to the Miami pier. Only other choice would be FLL, with a redeye or at least very early flight.
Marty