Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Familiar Face

Default Christmas on a cruise ship

My husband and I are booked on the Splendor for Christmas week. Anyone ever cruise and celebrate Christmas on board?

We will actually be in Cabo that day. Curious if anything will be open or if there will be any excursions?
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Christmas on a cruise ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh
My husband and I are booked on the Splendor for Christmas week. Anyone ever cruise and celebrate Christmas on board?

We will actually be in Cabo that day. Curious if anything will be open or if there will be any excursions?
We are in Aruba on Xmas Day. All tours are going as planned. Some
local shops maybe closed (those who don't depend on cruise passengers).

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I to have often wanted to do a xmas cruise. Will be happy to hear how the boat celebrates the holiday.
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Passenger

I sailed on the Sensation to the Bahamas around Christmas time last year and let me tell you...it was sure weird to hear Christmas carols being played in Nassau with 90 degree weather! I mean, I was in my swimsuit walking by pictures of holly and Santa Claus

Not sure if you have kids but Camp Carnival did perform a sort of "Christmas show" the last sea day where they got to sing and then Santa came to visit. The ship was decorated with Christmas decorations so that helped get me into the holiday spirit. Enjoy your cruise and have fun

Past cruises:
December 2008 Carnival Sensation
May 2009 Carnival Valor
September 2009 Carnival Elation
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Shop owners who don't celebrate this holiday will be open as we found out on Eatser in St Thomas one year..Many in the Caribbean are muslims, and the shops were open till noon I believe.... That may have changed though...and Santa, in shorts is a hoot

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Christmas fell on a sea day on the only Christmas cruise I have taken. Let us know when you get back how it was for you. I think you'll find some unique things to experience.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollylew
I sailed on the Sensation to the Bahamas around Christmas time last year and let me tell you...it was sure weird to hear Christmas carols being played in Nassau with 90 degree weather! I mean, I was in my swimsuit walking by pictures of holly and Santa Claus

Not sure if you have kids but Camp Carnival did perform a sort of "Christmas show" the last sea day where they got to sing and then Santa came to visit. The ship was decorated with Christmas decorations so that helped get me into the holiday spirit. Enjoy your cruise and have fun
Oh my! That had to have been insane!
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Beginner

They are running a Carnival commercial in our area playing up a Christmas cruise with jingle bells playing. If we hadn't just cruised in Aug we would go in a heartbeat! I think it would be awesome, if you don't have little kids. Christmas weather in GA is sometimes hot, sometimes cold...you never know so a beach Christmas on a cruise; how could you go wrong? Enjoy!!!
Anni
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

While cruises over Christmas are fun, you should expect LOTS of kids.... like 1000 or more under the age of 18.

And while they do have caroling, and Santa, a Christmas dinner, etc.. it's definitely not anywhere close to a traditional Christmas. We thought it funny that most people didn't even order the turkey.

As Mexico is largley Catholic, I wouldn't expect many shops to be open on Christmas Day.

It's also a difficult time for the crew; feeling down because they are missing their families more during the holiday. When we've cruised during the holidays we've taken a gift along for the crew who serve us, hoping it helps lift their spirits.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Kuki,
What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do for the crew!
Years ago, I did a Christmas cruise on NCL. We were at their private island, Great Stirrup Cay and I watched as Santa got off the tender...kids' mouths dropped open. It was a very funny moment. But, back then they didn't seem to do a lot for Christmas. Glad to know things have changed.
Marty