Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default Queen Mary and Carnival Pier

Going on the Splendor in December and we are flying in the night before. I am trying to cut back on the cost of all the "commuting" or taxies. We had the idea of staying on the Queen Mary and then walking to the Splendor the next day. Is that doable? Any other hotel suggestions? If you have stayed on the Mary... opinions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Admiral

We stayed at the QM on 10/17. The hotel and the Carnival terminal practically share a parking lot (actually Carnival has a big garage - but this beside the point). You can easily get up Sunday morning and do the early check-in, then go back to the hotel enjoy breakfast and relax. We took the Super Shuttle from LAX for $18 pp. I wish we had done a private car for not much more and avoided to tour, especially in the dark.

Our experience at the Queen was not so good though. There was some sort of high school event going on, with music and noisy teenagers. I'm not normally a grump about such things but having gone through a 3 hour time change I was less than amused (I know - my problem not theirs). The old girl is definitely showing her age and hasn't been maintained very well. We had one register in our cabin blowing hot and the other blowing cold all night.

We were tired, but hey we survived the night and were on board by 12:30 and ready to sail. We were up to see the Splendor arrive from the stern of the Queen and that was pretty cool.

One last QM grump that may or may not matter to you. I couldn't get a good wireless connection, I'd start to connect and get dropped.

I don't regret staying there, but will think long and hard before doing it again.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Admiral

I have heard good things about the Hotel Maya. I haven't stayed there, but it looks nice. They may have a free shuttle. They are less then a mile for the cruise terminal. Here is a link so you could check it out.
http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/losangeles/maya
This should gave you an idea of distance. This picture is taken from one of the rooms at hotel Maya. You can see the Queen Mary and the Carnival ship.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Abosultely! The Queen Mary was a wonderful hotel to stay at overnight. Yes, the room I had still had some period fixtures, and after a few times flusing the toilet was kinda interesting.....The shower is a wee small, but it works!!!! There is a free shuttle bus stop near the Queen Mary and it takes you to the various spots around Long Beach to explore. The ship itself is interesting to explore!!!!

I did early check in and baggage drop of at 10:30am and then, because of crew check and a estimate of 1:30 embarkatin, went back to the Queen and just wandered around some more and then wandered back around 11:30am to wait for embarkation, which was shortly after noon (I was VIP so in the first wave of passengers to board).

Enjoy!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Passenger

We are fans of the history of the Queen Mary. I think everyone should see it at least once. There are various guided tours around the ship that are very interesting. You can also do a self guided tour that will take you to the infirmary and the engine room. My daughter stays every year for her birthday. Family Deluxe room with ports holes and 2 queen beds. I think most of the rooms have been remodeled in the last year. The rooms are a bit pricey. Also there are various hotels around Long Beach that are cheaper and will give you a shuttle ride to the boat. Good Luck!
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Captain

We will be staying at the Renaissance Long Beach Hotel, checking in on Friday...
Will have time to explore so would want to walk around the Queen Mary...
Can you get on her without a fee?
What does the tours of the engine room cost or can you just walk freely all over the ship?
Thanks
Bob & Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmaker
We are fans of the history of the Queen Mary. I think everyone should see it at least once. There are various guided tours around the ship that are very interesting. You can also do a self guided tour that will take you to the infirmary and the engine room. My daughter stays every year for her birthday. Family Deluxe room with ports holes and 2 queen beds. I think most of the rooms have been remodeled in the last year. The rooms are a bit pricey. Also there are various hotels around Long Beach that are cheaper and will give you a shuttle ride to the boat. Good Luck!

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:25 AM
Passenger

There are admission fees to board the Queen Mary. I believe to just board the ship the cost is 24.95. This would include a self guided tour throughout the ship including engine room. However, usually for a few dollars more you can get a package deal with various tours including the Russian Submarine which is very interesting and the Ghost and Legends tour which takes you to the haunted pool area and many areas that you cannot see on the self guided tour. Some of the entrances are in the back of the ship with a lot of outside stairs. I believe if you go to one of the restaurants for lunch or dinner, you are free to wander the boat. http://www.queenmary.com/
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Passenger

It does not cost anything to just walk onto the Queen Mary and do the self Guided tour. All you have to do is enter via the hotel enterance. Just walk right through as if you belong there and you can get on the elevator and go right up. I have done this 100's of times over the years.

As I have posted, the Hotel Maya is about 1/3 of a mile from the queen mary, offers a sail and stay tour (you need to call to get this), and is a 4 star hotel. It costs 40 dollars more, but since the QM does not include parking for the cruise, this is a steal. I stsy at the Maya and then just walk over to the QM and enjoy it for free.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Captain

Many thanks,
We'll take the free bus & do some exploring...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)