Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default cruise in 70 days - only 4 excursions posted

Going on triumph from NOLA - only 4 excursions posted for Isla Rotan - what are we to do??????????? Belize has some -- thinking of horsebackriding or fishing.......and Cozumel........but why only 4 from Hondras?
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Admiral

This is my guess, I don't think you are stopping in Honduras. The State Department has issued a travel alert. I could be wrong and Carnival is going to stop there.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a/pa_4526.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Passenger

It says the travel alert expires on December 20, that is before the 70 days is up. Hopefully the situation will be better by the time you are sailing and they will post more excursions.
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I just looked at our cruise for Jan and the Carnival site shows 6 excursions. Yet if you don't put in a specific cruise the site shows 10 excursions.

When we were on the Valor last month the excursion sheet for Roatan had 15.

So I would say don't panic and just wait until you board to book an excursion, unless what you do see online is the one you are sure you want.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
First Mate

We were there early in October. The political situation isn’t near as bad as the US press is making it. The people there seem to feel the government is working the way is was created to work dealing with president that didn’t want to leave office when his time expired. Most said there was little or no affect on Isla Roatan since it is so far from the capital on the mainland. Carnival hasn’t skipped the port since the first few days after the ouster.

Isla Roatan (Rat Island, btw, named because of an abundance of short eared rabbits that look like rats) is somewhat primitive or to put it in more positive terms, natural. Shopping consists of just a few shops built at the pier and a few local craft venders. The most popular tour was the zip line, the views are beautiful.

If you’re not so ambitious but still want to get a nice feel for the island we enjoyed the Pirates, Parrots, and Monkey tour. The pirate part is hokey but you get to see a good part of the island on the bus trip to the park. Followed by a hike through the jungle on well developed walking trails to the pens where the parrots are kept. Then to the clearing where the monkeys live. The guide pointed out a lot of local wild life and plants including many iguanas a some of the Rat like rabbits.

Afterwards you can buy interesting local food and enjoy a really nice beach. Busses go back to the ship periodically allowing you time to relax, hike some more, eat, or swim.

Go to the shore excursion talk on the first day. You may gravitate to one particular tour after you know more about them.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Admiral

First of all, you absolutely do not have to book through Carnival, so if Carnival doesn't have anything listed, look around at other sites. Oftentimes you will find better and cheaper excursions by booking independent of Carnival.
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Admiral

nothing personal - but I'll be darn if I'll book an independant excursion (personal choice) instead of carnival. I'm to chicken! Only in Alaska would I do that (and have).......because I'm still in the states!!!
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Admiral

nothing personal - but I'll be darn if I'll book an independant excursion (personal choice) instead of carnival. I'm to chicken! Only in Alaska would I do that (and have).......because I'm still in the states!!!
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Admiral

There are some reputable operators out there and every time you book through Carnival you book an outside company anyway. If you like I can find some reputable companies for you and at least let you look through their offerings. The main thing is to give yourself extra time in case anything happens. I have found the exact same excursions Carnival has for about $20 less because I shopped around and didn't have to pay the ship a cut.
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Brad....... I would like that! Thanks!
Cheryl
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Just give me a few days and I will message you with some links. Sometimes you just have to take matters in your own hands.
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Admiral

ditto that one! Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Just made certain you can get a refund on your money if the port is skipped. I know some inpendent travel guides in Mazaltan will do that.

Okay I'm throwing in this smiley cause I like it. Plus it has Pirates and Parrots sorry no Monkeys.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Admiral

I would not recommend using anyone that won't refund money. I think if they are reputable then they should have a refund policy.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Rotan tours

We have used Roatan Cruise Excursions and they are Island Marketing who have tours all over the Caribbean.

We find that if we book on our own and not with the ship, we get better tours for less money.

We have been on the canopy zipline tour and it was fabulous. We are considering a cataraman tour this time around.

They do refund if your ship misses port. Always important to find out a head of time