CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Hurricane Ida & The Western Carrib. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/369276-hurricane-ida-western-carrib.html)

GaryI November 5th, 2009 11:00 AM

Hurricane Ida & The Western Carrib.

Check out the latest on Hurricane Ida. Looks like it will go right near Cozumel. That is the last thing the people living there need. Hope for the best.
Gary I.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1...large#contents

Tree Hugger November 5th, 2009 12:13 PM

ah crap, and I'm supposed to be in Cozumel three weeks from today!!1

I hope everything is OK, mostly for their sake, but I need to save a little greed for my own sake. :shock:

kcjdwill November 5th, 2009 01:37 PM

I hope the hurricane does very minimal damage whereever it hits. I feel so badly for the folks in the path of any hurricane and I feel eqally as guilty for worrying about my vacations plans when they are worrying about their livlihoods.

We will be getting on the Fantasy on Tuesday the 10th when it looks like it will be out in the gulf, so it will be very interesting to see where our ship ends up. I suppose I should be glad that I didn't book any shore excursions yet. Has anyone ever been diverted due to Hurricanes? I will have fun no matter where we go. Truthfully, I love being on the ship as much as the ports.

bmatrix1970 November 5th, 2009 08:14 PM

Nice- we are sailing from New Orleans on the 10th for a four day cruise, one stop- Cozumel. Looks like we would need to go straight through Ida to get to our destination. Can anyone predict/guess what Carnival may do as far as altering the route? Is it likely they will try to "skirt" the edge of the storm? Surely someone here has been faced with this situation...

Pocono Pug November 6th, 2009 06:35 AM

I sure hope this storm is gone soon, We cruise in a week to Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya.

GaryI November 6th, 2009 07:56 AM

We should know what is going to happen by Sun. morning. There seems to be some doubt that it will re-develop into a Hurricane when it gets back over water. It is currently a depression.
We can all hope for the best.
Good Luck To All
Gary I.

colorcrazie November 6th, 2009 03:18 PM

It looks as though Cazumel has been spared. But, Roatan, maybe not. I have been on cruises near an active hurricane and the captain's priorities are first and foremost, keep the passengers safe. Secondly, try to give them a fun cruise. Sometimes, the surprises that come with a change are some of the best things. We've been diverted to different ports, ridden out a storm while watching "Titanic" on the big screen in the show lounge (seriously), and ended up with an extra day of cruising when a hurricane shut down the home port.
The odds are high that this will not really impact anyone's vacation. Hurricanes that develop this late in the season have trouble maintaining any kind of strength because the ocean waters are cooling off and that is what fuels the storm.
Smooth sailing to all,
Marty, who lives 5 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico and has learned a lot about hurricanes by necessity

Master Chief November 6th, 2009 10:01 PM

As of 10:00PM EST, CruiseCal shows the following deviations:

Line Ship Port Date Arrive Depart
Princess Cruises Crown Princess Princess Cays, Bahamas - Was At Sea - Storm Deviation 11/8/2009 9:00 AM 4:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines Carnival Liberty Ocho Rios, Jamaica - Was Cozumel - Storm Deviation 11/9/2009 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Princess Cruises Crown Princess At Sea - Was Grand Cayman - Storm Deviation 11/9/2009 - -

Princess Cruises Crown Princess Georgetown, Grand Cayman - Was Roatan - Storm Deviation 11/10/2009 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Princess Cruises Crown Princess Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras - Was Cozumel - Storm Deviation 11/11/2009 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines Carnival Liberty Cozumel, Mexico - Was Ocho Rios - Storm Deviation 11/12/2009 9:00 AM 7:00 PM

Princess Cruises Crown Princess Cozumel, Mexico - Was At Sea - Storm Deviation 11/12/2009 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Princess Cruises Crown Princess At Sea - Was Princess Cays, Bahamas - Storm Deviation 11/13/2009 - -

I think you can read this OK.

colorcrazie November 8th, 2009 02:02 PM

Looks like I was really wrong about Cozumel not getting hit. Hope that there is minimal damage to all in its path, including us!
Marty

GaryI November 8th, 2009 02:37 PM

Found this great link below to Cozumel insider. They have a great interactive map to show the progress of Ida. Also the lady who owns the site has given a great blow by blow account of the progress of the hurricane. Very interesting. Looks as though it was not a major hit for Cozumel. Hopefully it just dies in the middle of the Gulf with no real damage.

Gary I.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Hurricane