Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Passenger

Default Upgrade Fairy Update????????????????

Always a good topic to bring up, and could really use the info from recent cruisers.

Sailing in 20 days (booked a Balcony Guarantee, without a specific cabin), and have still not received a cabin assignment. Talked to TA, and they advised that Carnival is sometimes not posting the cabin until the week of the cruise in some cases as they try to fill up the ships with the economy. I'm a returning cuiser with some cruises under my belt so that helps. Also booked 8 months prior to the cruise, and I think that helps as well.

Wondering about the experience of recent cruisers as follows:

A. How far in advance did you get your cabin assignment before the cruise?

B. How much of an upgrade did you receive if any?

Given the delay in assignment, I am hopefull that they keep moving us up!! Let me know your recent experiences.
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will be interested in finding out what room you got as well. We are thinking of booking the Hawaii cruise and I'm just afraid that if I book "guarantee balcony" that I will end up with an obstructed view. Then I would not be too happy.
Keep us posted please!!
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Admiral

If you book a "Balconey Guarantee " they will not downgrade you to an obstructed cabin. I don't know of any balconies that have an obstructed view.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know Carnival has some obstructed balcony rooms. Probably lifeboats in front of them.
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Old November 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Upgrade Fairy Update????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyzone
Always a good topic to bring up, and could really use the info from recent cruisers.

Sailing in 20 days (booked a Balcony Guarantee, without a specific cabin), and have still not received a cabin assignment. Talked to TA, and they advised that Carnival is sometimes not posting the cabin until the week of the cruise in some cases as they try to fill up the ships with the economy. I'm a returning cruiser with some cruises under my belt so that helps. Also booked 8 months prior to the cruise, and I think that helps as well.

Wondering about the experience of recent cruisers as follows:

A. How far in advance did you get your cabin assignment before the cruise?

B. How much of an upgrade did you receive if any?

Given the delay in assignment, I am hopeful that they keep moving us up!! Let me know your recent experiences.
I have received my cabin assignment, for a guarantee, anywhere from the day after booking to three days before sailing.

Most of the time the upgrade, if any, was within the same category. Balcony to balcony. I have received an upgrade, on Princess, from balcony to mini-suite and, a number of years ago, I received a Celebrity upgrade from Cat 2 balcony to Sky Suite.

The thing to ALWAYS remember is to never book a category guarantee that in a category that you would not be happy with. While no one truly knows the "science" behind upgrades the vast majority of people who book a guarantee end up in the category they booked or within the same type of cabin. While you hear the inside cabin to suite upgrade it rarely happens.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Last year, we booked inside guarantee. We really don't care about the cabin. Got cabin assignment a couple of weeks before sailing, then 2 days before, got upgraded to a balcony. Hands down the best upgrade we have ever gotten. But, it has only happened once in close to 40 cruises.
Marty
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire
I will be interested in finding out what room you got as well. We are thinking of booking the Hawaii cruise and I'm just afraid that if I book "guarantee balcony" that I will end up with an obstructed view. Then I would not be too happy.
Keep us posted please!!
The Carnival Spirit is the ship that does the Hawaii route. On that ship the 7A is the Balcony with the obstructed views. If you book an 8A gty just as doopydozer has said they won't downgrade you to an 7A obstructed view. However, according to the deck plan some of the 9A extended balconies have an obstructed view it is unlikely, but possible that you would upgraded to a 9A. For me the extended balcony would be worth the obstructed view. The two larger cabins in red are the 9As with obstructed views. All the other lifeboat cabins are 7A cabins. The 8Bs are not obstructed this is upper deck on Carnival Spirit. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think an upgrade to one, may not be not an upgrade to another, that's why I rarely book a guarentee...I like to be near an elevator, so that's what I book, Going up a deck or two, for me is not a big deal....Now if they gave me the suite Mike got, that's a good thing:0

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 10th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Keep us posted please!!
The Carnival Spirit is the ship that does the Hawaii route. On that ship the 7A is the Balcony with the obstructed views. If you book an 8A gty just as doopydozer has said they won't downgrade you to an 7A obstructed view. However, according to the deck plan some of the 9A extended balconies have an obstructed view it is unlikely, but possible that you would upgraded to a 9A. For me the extended balcony would be worth the obstructed view. The two larger cabins in red are the 9As with obstructed views. All the other lifeboat cabins are 7A cabins. The 8Bs are not obstructed this is upper deck on Carnival Spirit. I hope that helps.

Kat:

I noticed your cruise countdown clock and saw your doing the Mexican Riv' cruise on the Splendor in a few months. That's funny because I was just thinking it would be fun to do our next cruise from the left coast and I had just been thinking the Splendor looked great. I'm envious! Also, noticed they have fares as low as 329 pp toward the end of this month. What a great price for a 7 dayer for those who are able to go at the last minute. Have you been on Splendor before?
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Hi Ready2board I haven't been on the Splendor yet. We leave on May 2 I can't wait. You should come over there are some great fares right now. I'm glad I booked the Early Saver fare.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

katlady,

Thanks for the info on the room category info. I guess I didn't notice that you could guarantee a category - I was thinking that it was just a "balcony guarantee".

Old November 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Actually Vegas, its really the same thing. If you book a catagory that is a balcony, you will at least get a catagory with a balcony...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Admiral

WooHoo! Just got upgraded from inside to outside cabin. We figured we had used up all of our Carnival Cruise Karma last year, but I guess not.
Now, I am really excited.

Marty
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
katlady,

Thanks for the info on the room category info. I guess I didn't notice that you could guarantee a category - I was thinking that it was just a "balcony guarantee".
I remember having an 8A gty on Freedom. I ended up with an 8D, it wasn't a big upgrade, but I really liked my spot on the ship. This next cruise, because I picked early saver fare I picked my room. But I have OBC because the price went down so I feel it was the right way to go.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994