Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Tompo8190
Default Passport needed?

My family will sailing on February 27, 2010 on the Liberty. Will we need to have a passport to travel? The Carnival site inidicated that we will be fine with proof of citizenship but now I'm hearing that may change as of January 1st, 2010. Any help is appreciated.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Passenger

You really need to get the passports. I have heard horror stories of people thinking they have what they needed, and then getting to the ship and being turned away and losing the $ they spent on the cruise. The passports are good for 10 years and you know 100% you have what you need for the cruise.

The time and $ are well spent vs all the concern and worry.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

From the govt website: current info....

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport book or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by land and sea outside of the United States are required to present a passport book/card, or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the United States.

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website:

Effective June 1, 2009, all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document when entering the United States.
Please Note: Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.
The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

U.S.PASSPORT AND WHTI COMPLIANT DOCUMENTS:

U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea.
The Passport Card: The passport card is only valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Admiral

There is/was an exemption for cruises (I think they are called "closed circuit" cruises) beginning and ending in the same port. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to get that passport. I know that it represents money you could be spending on vacation, but should you need to leave your cruise early for any reason you will be very glad you have it. And besides now you are ready to become a world traveler!

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Effective June 1, 2009, all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document when entering the United States.

For "closed loop" cruises, similar to what was stated above, a driver's license, birth certificate or other govmt ID is fine. Just check the list of Western Hemispehere Travel Initiative (WHTI) documents to see if what you have is sufficient.

I called Carnival regarding this and they said that my driver's license and birth certificate would be fine. Keep in mind, if you are flying into the U.S. from another country (even Canada or Mexico) you must have a passport book. The Passport card or other WHTI documents are only good for land/sea travel. Keep that in mind in case there is any reason where you might need to fly home.
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Tompo8190

Thank you so much to everyone for the information. This is actually going to be our 8th Cruise, but we've never had to worry about this before. I'm thinking we should just get the passports, better safe than sorry!

I love these boards for information! You guys are the best.
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Familiar Face

Yep!!! Better safe than sorry, I broke down last year and got mine.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Fascination March 2008
Carnival Destiny March 2009
Carnival Imagination June 2010
All Inclusive Cancun August 2010
Carnival Destiny October 2010
Carnival Fantasy May 2011
Carnival Fantasy October 2011
Carnival Fascination January 2012
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've used ours quite a bit, even the kids. We leave on Aug. 29th and just looked at the kids' passports because I know the expire this year - and the expire the 24th of Aug.!! 5 days! Well, one more thing to add to my to-do list.
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I strongly advise that you get passports. It's something you will never regret. You will have no problems with air travel or cruising anywhere outside of the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. You will also have no travel problems if, for some reason, you miss the ship or have a problem and you need to fly home.

The direct answer to your question is: No, a passport is not required for this cruise. A closed loop cruise that begins and ends at the same, U.S., port and visits Mexico, Canada or most Caribbean islands does not require the passengers to have a passport. You will need a government issued ID and government issued birth certificates.

Even though it is not required; get the passport and make your travel easier and with less worry.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me